Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Another chip question...

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  hazardiz 
#1 ·
Yes I have searched and yes I have read endless posts about opinions on who makes the best tunes yadda yadda yadda...and I could not find answers to the questions I have...so here we go...

I was looking at the new F6 chip from DP simply because I will never have to take it out of the truck again to get it reburnt...my question is do all the custom tuners send you the tunes? or keep them secret in house and want the chip sent it? hence its not worth buying the F6 and can go with the cheaper alternative? The DP chips have 16 positions...can I run tunes from multiple companies? also do the custom chips control tranny shifting with a program or how? I only ask because when I had my superchip flashpaq it never did a tranny program until i programmed a 6.0L for a friend. Another question is if I get tunes from another company, do I loose the previous burns?

Thanks in advance for you help...

#3 ·
Yes I have searched and yes I have read endless posts about opinions on who makes the best tunes yadda yadda yadda...and I could not find answers to the questions I have...so here we go...

I was looking at the new F6 chip from DP simply because I will never have to take it out of the truck again to get it reburnt...my question is do all the custom tuners send you the tunes?
No. Only DP and (i think) PowerHungry Performance. or keep them secret in house and want the chip sent it? hence its not worth buying the F6 and can go with the cheaper alternative? The DP chips have 16 positions...can I run tunes from multiple companies? With DP, no.
also do the custom chips control tranny shifting with a program Yes or how?Not sure I only ask because when I had my superchip flashpaq it never did a tranny program until i programmed a 6.0L for a friend. Another question is if I get tunes from another company, do I loose the previous burns?Yes.

Thanks in advance for you help...
Hope that helps.

#4 ·
Thanks for the answers...my flashpaq never wrote a tranny file like it did in the 6.0L...not sure why...i noticed it changed the shift points...but never displayed it...hmm...well now I got some deciding to do...my other question was approx how much increase in mileage do any of the custom tunes give ya? more than a flashpaq i'm assuming cause they are custom taylored...

G
#5 ·
Not sure about other programmers but I'm getting 18mpg most of the time with my Flashpaq 1855. Winter, it goes down to 16mpg but I'm in Maine and it's colder than He!! up here. SCT is what most guys use here. I use the tow performance tune so that I can tow my tractor without blowing the thing up. It's worked for me in two trucks. My 7.3 had 200,000 on it and my 6.0 has 143,000. Haven't wrecked anything yet.

#8 ·
The F-6 is at it's best if you have future mods planned and do not want to send the chip back.

#9 ·
Most tuners use a ts style 6 tune blank.
There are burners that will allow you to pull the chip yourself,
Which can be done with a larger qacess hole (keep the key out of the truvk when u mess w the pcm) buut jody is the only on with 16 tunes and iirc the f6 can write all tunes at once vs one at a time. No biggie cause 16 tunes will cost a bunch. His chip is pretty advanced.

But keep in mind chips are like candy bars,
They come in many flavors, a few are really good, and they are addictive as hell.

#12 ·
Me too. That's why I went with the F6. I would hate having to remove the PCM every time I needed a new tune. It's a pain in the a$$. Get a bare minimum chip to keep the cost down to avoid duties/taxes/brokerage. Then you can buy tunes and have them emailed and not have to pay any more fees.

#11 ·
hazardiz, our FU and FU2 chips both come with a chip burner, so you'd never have to ship it back unless the hardware actually failed. Also, they're TS chips, so you could always have other vendors (like Tony or Matt) send you files (if they do that sort of thing) if you wanted to try out their files down the road. :)

#14 ·
:whs:

No way I would go with DP Tuner just because its easy to put new tunes on it.

Honestly how often do you plan on getting new tunes? Most people go YEARS with out taking there chip out for a reburn.

#15 ·
Get a standard TS chip, from what ever vendor you want. PHP, Swamps, Gear Head... Beans... Then buy a burner as well. Your set. Want a new tune, call one of the above and pay for it and they can e-mail it to you to put on the chip...

With a F-6, you are 100% locked into DP tunes, you can not run anything else on that chip.

#18 ·
I just used my burner from PHP for the 1st time last weekend. Easy stuff even for me. Only takes a minute or so to to erase the chip and then about 2 minutes per position to re-burn the new tunes. I changed what I had originally purchased from PHP to a few different tunes from PHP for free. Pretty nice to have PHP's tunes available anytime you want at no charge. Also, I modified the black plastic case so I don't have to pull the PCM box to remove the chip. And like was said, this option gives you the ability to try other tuner's stuff.

Not that I would do that Corey:poke:

#19 ·
as said beore,contact php and get ther FU setup and you should be able to get tunes from anyone sent to you.Then you can just burn them on your chip at home.Nothing against DP,but it sucks being locked in to one vendor when they are all so good.

#20 ·
My vote is with PHP too. With the TS style you can have it re-burned with anyone else's tunes. But, honestly, who knows more than Bill at PHP? There are other great tuners, but I think you are going to be hard pressed to find someone that knows more. My current chip from PHP is much more user friendly, wife friendly, and a pleasure to drive than my previous chip. Next time I need to touch the pcm, I will modify the box to remove the chip without removing the pcm. Give the PHP FU chip a serious look. You will have great tunes and be able to get them over the net. I also think 6 positions are plenty.

#21 ·
The only thing I suggest is if you are going to be modding your truck more, pick a sponsor that is a full service shop and can tune for your up comming mods. That was one mistake that I made when I first go into this but the situation is now corrected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.