Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

P0196

14K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bigastrk 
#1 ·
I am getting this code on a pretty regular basis. Its on an 08 6.4. I have the mini max on it and the coolant and oil temps for the most part show within 7 degrees of each other. I am wondering if have the truck plugged in and starting it on the cold mornings are causing it to throw the code since the oil is cold but the coolant is somewhat warm. What do you guys think? I was thinking about replacing the sensor and see what that does but do you all think its just cause of the cold weather?

Thanks

#3 ·
Sorry I should have specified that I was looking to see what that means. I had the code figured out but I was just wanting to know if it sounds like the sensor is bad or if its just reacting to the different temps of the oil and coolant from being plugged in.

#6 ·
If it is then there is too much of a differential between the oil temp and the coolant temp. The only way to verify would be to check the temps at startup after being plugged in with a DD or some other kind of monitor. I think the fix is updated software.

#7 ·
mine does it randomly too, its because the range is too far apart to the specs in the computer. mine is a job1 too and it does it. I am not too worried about it either. It goes away after a few seconds and never really throws a check engine light. Just the code.

Its only at start up, its not a pressure issue just a temp issue which isnt really that big of deal. its at startup only.

#8 ·
That is pretty much what I was thinking. But I may replace the sensor anywasy cause today it show -40 on the mini max and stayed there. SO maybe the sensor is going out or acting up. Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.