Power steering pulsating - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > The Nation's Hangout > General Questions & Discussion
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
johnday
Olde gear jammer
Member's Gallery

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.
Power steering pulsating

Well, here it is, almost a month without having to replace something.
My wife and I went on a little ride last night back where some logging is going on. We went as far as I felt like, and turned around in some snow, maybe a foot deep. I needed 4X4 to get out and straightened back up where the trail was clear. I noticed some pulsating in the steering wheel, and a whine like a power steering pump low on fluid and needed a lot more effort to turn wheel. As long as the wheel is not turned, no noise. We went around 2 miles to my house, and when I tuned into my drive, it felt like I had no assist. I didn't notice any changes in my brakes, everything was at operating temp, outside air temp around 5*F. This happens in 2 as well as 4X. Just what I need, another problem at these temps.
Can anyone help me out with the simple things? I'm thinking pump going bad. To be honest, I haven't even popped the hood yet, just would like to know the most common thing to go out.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
JLDickmon
blame the dog..
Member's Gallery

Re: Power steering pulsating

whine is most likely tired fluid.. changed it ever?

as far as the "pulse" goes, if you're talking slight steering wheel oscillations, I'd bet a beer you've got a frozen axle joint
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
johnday
Olde gear jammer
Member's Gallery

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
whine is most likely tired fluid.. changed it ever?

as far as the "pulse" goes, if you're talking slight steering wheel oscillations, I'd bet a beer you've got a frozen axle joint
No, never have changed it, I know, I'm a loser!
The pulsing is what it feels like. If you turn the wheel left or right, you can feel it, similar to the way it feels when your front wheels skid when in 4X4, only more pronounced in the wheel, and not able to feel it in your feet, if you will.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
johnday
Olde gear jammer
Member's Gallery

I finally got out to the truck, started it, and no power steering at all. The upper shock mount was covered in oil as well as around the pump, radiator, battery, almost everything in that corner.. The powersteering reservoir didn't show a level at all, so I dumped some ATF in it, and restarted the truck. There is a hose directly behind the shock mount that was rubbed thru.
So, the next question, would it be wise to drive this thing 15 miles to my mechanic to fix it? I can wrestle with the steering, but don't want to fry the pump, and I'm a bit concerned about the brakes as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
JLDickmon
blame the dog..
Member's Gallery

Probably not. The brakes aren't going to work at all, and the PS pump, well; the PS pump may already be toast... but the brakes aren't going to work at all. Plus driving it in that fashion, would be the time some little kid on a sled comes whizzing out of a driveway in front of you.. not a pretty picture..
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
id: 5520
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
I finally got out to the truck, started it, and no power steering at all. The upper shock mount was covered in oil as well as around the pump, radiator, battery, almost everything in that corner.. The powersteering reservoir didn't show a level at all, so I dumped some ATF in it, and restarted the truck. There is a hose directly behind the shock mount that was rubbed thru.
So, the next question, would it be wise to drive this thing 15 miles to my mechanic to fix it? I can wrestle with the steering, but don't want to fry the pump, and I'm a bit concerned about the brakes as well.
You have AAA?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
johnday
Olde gear jammer
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
Probably not. The brakes aren't going to work at all, and the PS pump, well; the PS pump may already be toast... but the brakes aren't going to work at all. Plus driving it in that fashion, would be the time some little kid on a sled comes whizzing out of a driveway in front of you.. not a pretty picture..
That's what I was afraid of. I'll get my buddy out with his wrecker and tow it in. No reason to take a chance on hurting someone or getting in a wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsah View Post
You have AAA?
No, but my insurance will cover it!!

Thanks guys!!

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 30
BCPSD, becareless06, caseih7010, chunkdunker, Cory_S, csilva187, dieselvrgn, F-250-Owner, id: 5520, JLDickmon, Joedog, johnday, jwatrous, kickstand, OBS F350, oldschool, oneton, Phil G., policefordtuff, powerstrokin02, pstroke96, rancher76, RYan Gortney, shanev10, smokin250, sniper_101, suprhlr, Tail_gunner, washingtoncoastie