HPOP replacement - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:17 PM
OSCS
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

HPOP replacement

i would like to do this at home but am not sure how difficult this may be. Does anyone have a link to a DIY forum or something along those lines? also a list of things and or tools i would need would be great! do i need new o rings etc?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
PSDEng
Busted Knuckles
Member's Gallery

Re: HPOP replacement

As far as o-rings go...it's always a good idea
Here is dieselsite's installation procedure.
http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/a...structions.pdf
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 AM
NorCalDiesel
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDEng View Post
As far as o-rings go...it's always a good idea
Here is dieselsite's installation procedure.
http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/a...structions.pdf
Those instructions are great and easy to follow. I wish I had them the first time. Make sure to get a new set of parker fuel sleeves since you will need to remove the fuel bowl. You can get all your o-rings and fuel sleeves at Diesel O-Rings.

Also, When you're removing the HPOP lines from the pump you don't have to remove the lines from the fittings, thus eliminating the need for the "special" rotella tool. Just turn the fittings out of the old pump using an open end wrench and leave them attached to the lines going to the heads. Don't reuse the old o-rings, you will be back. Make sure to use the thread lock and only tighten the fittings into the new pump using about 18in/lbs IIRC . The seal is the o-ring in the pump fitting boss, and the use of Loctite.

When you replace the pump reservoir gasket/screen make sure you have the right gasket. There are two and using the wrong one could result in a cracked front cover. Don't need to say what happens next. I think Marty on this forum has a pic of both styles and gaskets, probably direct experience, search for them. Also make sure to clean the mating surfaces of the new pump shaft and existing gear before reinstalling.

lastly, get new gaskets for everything and make sure to prime the pump reservoir from the top inspection hole to at least an inch from the top before starting. It will run rough until all the air is out of the system so instead of coming back here to ask why its running rough, take a hard drive to force the air out. That last bubble is a B&^*h, but you'll know when it is purged as it will smooth out..

There are not a lot of tools needed and Bob has them all listed in the Adrenaline pump replacement instructions that you're going to use, or should use.

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 AM
tbolt
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Spend the money and put the adrenaline pump on you'll love it. Especially if your truck is chipped.
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 AM
NorCalDiesel
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
Spend the money and put the adrenaline pump on you'll love it. Especially if your truck is chipped.
I hear ya, Thats a helluva deal and you won't feel guilty about using his instructions.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
OSCS
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

only thing is i will be buying the pump second hand so i will have to go off of what you guys tell me. I think that the instruction provided by PSDEng should get me through. Do you think that one of you guys that has done this before can maybe PM me a list of gaskets and o-rings needed and maybe where to get them so i can get them ordered?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
PSDEng
Busted Knuckles
Member's Gallery

Ford or Dieselsite has complete o-ring kits.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
NorCalDiesel
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCS View Post
only thing is i will be buying the pump second hand so i will have to go off of what you guys tell me. I think that the instruction provided by PSDEng should get me through. Do you think that one of you guys that has done this before can maybe PM me a list of gaskets and o-rings needed and maybe where to get them so i can get them ordered?
I don't know what year motor / pump you have but you can get everything you need here

You will need:
  • #8-009 High Pressure Oil Pump mounting gasket 96-03 7.3L
  • #7-003 - Complete Bowl Seal Kit - 11 o-rings and 4 sleeves
  • #8-002 - HPOP o-ring kit w/ 7 o-rings

For the pump reservoir seal you will need one of these depending on your front cover pattern. If you mistakenly use the gasket with the screen on the wrong pump reservoir you will likely crack the front cover. Be careful to use the right gasket here.
  • #8-018 HPOP reservoir gasket w/screen 99.5-03
  • #8-017 HPOP reservoir gasket 1996 - 1999.5

Read through the Adrenaline instructions a couple times until it starts to make sense. The main thing is to get all the o-ring seals clean and installed correctly so you don't leak.

If this where me I would also replace the "non-serviceable" Oil ferry plug in the pump you're installing. Take a look at the pic I posted here. I would replace every o-ring while I had the pump on the bench. Then clean everything out of the valley and start putting it back together. For the pump / front cover gasket I use high-tack gasket sealer to get it sticky enough to stay in place while you position the pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpop_rings.jpg (63.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM
OSCS
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

i have an e99 btw
Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 AM
dmd
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post

Zoom zoom zoom!
'00 F350 Supercrewzer Lariet, PSD, Auto, 3.73, CC, 4x4, SWB, SRW, F250, 6 position chip, 6637, 4-inch turbo back exhaust, 38r w/ high flow turbine outlet, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Trans, Swamps IDM, AIH delete, in-tank/pre-pump mod, heater/AC mod, Harvest Gold and Black / Packages: Trailer Tow, Camper, Off-Road. Overhead monitor DVD/TV/VCR

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 254
01REDSTROKER, 01strokin, 02 CCSB, 02f300, 02stroker89, 037.3stroker, 04king_stroker, 04stroker, 08strokin, 101kkl99, 1950gmcelc, 1999 7.3L, 1999F350Lariat, 2000f350v10, 2000XLifted, 2002FordPwr, 7.3, 7.3freak, 7.3psd1999, 76scout, 85F250Diesel, 907stroker, 907superduty, 95powersmoker, 96stacked&smoken, 96stroker7.3, 97CCLB410LS, 997.3ps, 99whitestroker, Abe, aklefty, aklim, Arcturus, avr, barrakudaman, bbh03, BeringSeaFisher, biasracing, BIGN, BigRed97, Bill R, BillMcIntire, birdog, Black Pearl, black73, Blown95svt, borncountry, Breacher, Bushwakd, cablebandit, camaroicoc, cat45, CAV64, CGMKCM, chassross2003, chevyhurstolds84, chiefson, chrashd, cimarron13, cj45lc, clackclack, cmns2500, co04cobra, coalroller78, cota, ctch1, Cuda472, curhoundhunter, d99, dakotastroker, dan2688, darkstar, David N, deathwishracer, DeepShoreStrokin, Denver, Dieselboy740, diesel_84, dixieland-diesels, dmd, Donnief, down4bmx, DrSpeed, dslkevin, Dundunitall, duxpsd, e99CoalBaron, ejf84, ElkBowHuntR, F-127, Fade 2 Black, Family XJ, farm boy, fatfender, flogrown80, ford4life76, FordCowboy, forddieselkicksass, FXSTS, Gaius, Garrett, gary02psd, GASMAN6674, ghohouston, glovemeister, Got4wd, gottagofast, Gotti2k7, grantw1221, greenbeast, gstang408, gsxr1216, harleyf250, hayesmsr, hikinginpdx, hofiveo, holmes76, hoosier6.0, howie1078, ilh, internationalpsd, isky1843, ja9788, JamieWS6, Jaredkeller96, jarrodmcmillian, JasonM, jbrixen, jdffafarmer, Jgman141, jhyder408, jlwalker9, Johnny77Mutt, Jordy53, JSchuricht, jsmith, ju015dd, jwatrous, kddfarms03, Kenneth L. Kilby, kippper125, kyle, LaJ10, lariat7.3, LawStudentStroker, leojr, lght1, Lildiup, Lill Pete, LTbrassballs, ltljoe22, lynyrdskynyrd95, m j, mattchill, midget1863, mikes95powerstroke, milehighstroker, monroegt, Mtack, mudslinger02, NEBR99.5 OIL BURNER, nielsencod, No Regrets, NorCalDiesel, northid710, obs5speed, Obspsd7.3, opieg01, OSCS, PAbowhunter, pappa b's powerstroke, patricku47, pc97f350, Pdt1081, pilot4life, pmasterson, poon, pooter, possumshole, procomp, PSDEng, radeon1314, rancher76, ridiculously_necessary, Right seat driver, Rocky7.3, Rockyardjo, rollingcoal69, rollin_smoke, Ron's power stroke, rwhite1, San Antonio 78, scagle1, SD70M, sg1809, Shanediggler, shanev10, shock, Slimline, Slogging, smith7.3, smokinford07, smoking69, snagalittle, SootRoller, Southern.girl, SouthFlstrokin', southmike, streetrodder01, stroke931, Stroked02, strokeorcroak, stroker1994.5, StrokinAces1973, sunny644, Super_Hauler, swamp_ratt, swvaexcavator, Tampa450, tbolt, Tcbrown11, teo9554, TerminatorEngineering, Tflook59, THACKER44, toddman35, Toolman1999, Torque37, towsurfer, travisH3, tree trimmer, truckcap22, tuntavern, T_F_E, USMC_7.3, vandentr, vorderma, White96Stroker, whitestang1987, whitjo, whytry, widieseltech, Wilson444, Wood Kutter, woodduck97, wvrrcarknocker, xmastree, xxxbrutusxxx, yogi7615, zilla68