05 6.0 miss - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Lildiup
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

05 6.0 miss

Hey I have a 05 6.0 and when u start it when it's cold it misses for awhile until it warms up then it is fine what could it be?
1995 ford f-350 rclb custom e4od, 4in. Mbrp exhaust, afe stage II intake, ts 6 position, glowshift gauges, Gen 3, hypermax intercooler, h2e modified turbo, swamps 250cc injectors, electric fuel, valve springs, push rods, head studs.

1996 ford f-250 ccsb 5 spd 4x4 Mbrp exhaust.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Fordfreak4life
Haters Gonna Hate
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life
Re: 05 6.0 miss

a 6.o duh! haha mine does this as well, i just don't worry to much about it
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
a 6.o duh! haha mine does this as well, i just don't worry to much about it
low FICM voltage (when cold) or a bad injector

click to send email
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Fordfreak4life
Haters Gonna Hate
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
low FICM voltage (when cold) or a bad injector
whats it cost for me 2 send in my ficm and have you fix it?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
yeehaw
Banned
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to yeehaw

how cold? my truck will only do it for 3-5 seconds when it is below 40 degrees
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Quote:
whats it cost for me 2 send in my ficm and have you fix it?
I would have you check the voltage first, following the procedure outlined at the following link.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/content/faq/ficm.htm

IF your voltage is low, but the truck is still driveable...then you can simply order a 48 or 58v unit at the following link.

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/xtcommer...ectronics.html

Any unit we ship will be preprogrammed, but we also have FICM Performance flashes/tuning available if you are looking for more performance (than the 58v unit provides).

take care~

Dave
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Fordfreak4life
Haters Gonna Hate
Member's Gallery

mine does it in the 20-30* range, i'd like to get a 58v ficm from swamps but i've heard there may be an issue with towing after installing these
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Quote:
mine does it in the 20-30* range, i'd like to get a 58v ficm from swamps but i've heard there may be an issue with towing after installing these
there is no issue with towing with the 58v units, with regard to engine components related to the electronics.

The only reason we have been somewhat conservative with the 58v units, is the higher voltage does (mechanically) force the injector to open more quickly (due to a stronger magnetic field generated by the higher voltage)...which in turn forces the injector to flow slightly more fuel.

so...if we were to take an ultra conservative standpoint...running the 58v FICM will cause the injectors to flow more fuel...which will create higher EGT's...and ~40 additional hp.

but we are still only talking about a 50-100 difference in EGT's over a good 48v FICM.

take care~

Dave
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Fordfreak4life
Haters Gonna Hate
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
there is no issue with towing with the 58v units, with regard to engine components related to the electronics.

The only reason we have been somewhat conservative with the 58v units, is the higher voltage does (mechanically) force the injector to open more quickly (due to a stronger magnetic field generated by the higher voltage)...which in turn forces the injector to flow slightly more fuel.

so...if we were to take an ultra conservative standpoint...running the 58v FICM will cause the injectors to flow more fuel...which will create higher EGT's...and ~40 additional hp.

but we are still only talking about a 50-100 difference in EGT's over a good 48v FICM.

take care~

Dave
have you run into any issues with the ficm itself getting warm or overheating due to the extra voltage?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

none whatsoever.

We have built over 1000 units over the last couple of years...and I can think of 7 that have failed...which we warrantied, obviously.

of those 7, it was just about an even mix of 48v & 58v units.

We aren't being nearly as conservative about recommending the 58v units (since we haven't seen any higher failure rates)...personally...I would put a 58v unit on every truck out there since the higher voltage can HELP a weak/sticky injector (spool valve) from being so finicky...and the modest bump in hp, for the extar $50 is welllllll worth it.

I also hear (second hand) rumors about concerns with injector longevity...but I can also dispel those as being a complete non issue.

The voltage (48 or 58) that the injector actually "sees", when it is fired (or shut off) is only a 0.8ms duration pulse. That's 8 ten thousandths of a second...and a 20% bump in voltage is rather mild.

We have been modding this similar component on the 7.3L electronics (called the IDM, Injector Driver Module) for nearly a decade...bumping them from 110v to 135-140v...(as well as increasing the frequency of the PWM signal< which can be up to 4-5ms duration)...and there has been (literally) zero affect on injector solenoid longevity.

take care~

Dave

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 43
'01STROKER250, 04 oilburner, 04MT, 2004Stroker6.0, 23stroker1997, 379cat, 6.0psd916, 99whitestroker, bad moose, Barnbuilder, boosted88coupe, bustednuckles, Dano244, DieselStroke, dlyman98, florida 6.0, Fordfreak4life, FordSuperDuty05, golfer, id: 5520, isimar, JD F350, Jngreen, Jonathan White, ktoddford, kyle882, Lildiup, mandkole, Matt07, morseranch, outcast, ParkerFly, Petro, rerunss, sanocafire20, SickStroke6.0, srwdoug, stroke of luck, stroker62, toycrawler, tt500owner, yeehaw