Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any Mercedes Diesel owners here?

800 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  crowz 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a '95 Mercedes 300 E Diesel. The car is mint condition. I've always wanted a diesel car, and I think I found the one. I know nothing about them.

Anything to look out for? Know problems, issues, etc. What MPG can I expect? Are they easily modded (injectors, etc)? This will actually be my first 'car' purchase....I've been in all trucks since my first vehicle! :D

#5 ·
My parents bought an '82 300D and drove it 700,000 miles with only replacing the trans once. The rest was normal maintenance stuff, hoses, brakes, water pump, etc. Sold it in 2005 for $2200 and still running strong.

They bought a '92 350SD in '97 and it has been nearly reliable as the first. It has had to have some suspension work, A/C work & other odds and ends but nothing that would turn you away from it. It has 375,000 miles a new trans and ready to go for another 300k or so.

In '98 they bought a '95 350SD w 18k miles. It has 170k miles and they have had to spend $1800 on the air bag system, $1600 on the A/C, $1200 on the heating system and engine cooling system and $1800 in suspension work. It has been nowhere near the car the previous two were.

The '95 is more refined than years past, the '82 was the most bullitt proof and the '92 is the best of both worlds personally. If they ever sell the '92 I am buying it, I was going to buy the '82 but it was soooo slow, but there is NO WAY I would buy their '95.

Every time they have had the '95 in the shop they hear, yup, this is a common problem.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks fellas, good insight. From what I have researched, it seems to be pretty hit and miss as to what MB diesels are good and which to avoid. Very similar to our PSD's. I'm going to take the car to my mechanic who specializes in Mercedes and go from there. The body, interior, paint etc is so cherry I hate to let it go.....

#8 ·
The first one we bought was an 80 or 82 model 240D non turbo. My lawnmowers have a BUNCH more hp than that thing had. If you had to climb up a driveway that was more than say 20degree slope you had to come to a stop put in it L and wait for it to shift into a double low gear it had to get up it :D Most mercedes owners at the time didnt even know they had this feature.

Now the 1987 190D turbo the wife has now is a totally different animal. That thing will burn rubber. It goes absolutely stupid crazy at a bit over 2k rpms, pretty slow under that but that little turbo will move that 5 cyl diesel on down the road once you hit 2k. Theres a hill between here and the next city over that my psd will downshift on sometime but her mercedes never even notices it and never downshifts for it.

Great car. I think it has 400k miles on it now or something and smokes pretty good but we will be rebuilding it eventually. Definite keeper. Plus kind of rare. Its the only year the 190D turbo was imported to the states.

She wants one of the newer ones with awd but were planning on keeping the 190 even if she gets a newer one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.