Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Turbo On A 5000 Ford

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  powerstrokenstang 
#1 ·
Hey Iv got a 1972 Ford 5000 that iv turned the pump up on and advanced the timeing! Woundering about a turbo? im pertty good a fabin up stuff but dont know what all it would take to do such a thing. what kind of turbo would work? id like to rob one off a junk tractor or something were it would be cheap to! any suggestions :ford:

#4 ·
5000s have a non-turbo 256 cid engine.

I'd recommend getting some parts off of a 7000, (basically a turboed 5000 with some minor changes), namely the exhaust manifold. (image below) The 7000 manifold is an undivided T3 flange that tips in towards the engine to allow clearance for the turbo. You can go with a later manifold like a 7710 which is a divided T3 flange, but you'd have other issues, turbo would be rotated 180* to fit under the hood, exhaust would exit forward instead of back, needing a new hole in the hood. Stock 7000 turbos are expensive even to get reman, so fabbing up another turbo wouldn't be a bad idea unless you got a complete setup from a parts 7000. I have a used 7000 manifold as well as some other divided manifolds like the 7710. If you have any other questions I can get some pictures from a 7000 which I overhauled this summer or the manifolds.

Left is front of tractor

#5 ·
try to find parts off a 7000. might not have to fab much stuff up

#6 ·
i have a hy35 on my 4000 and have run a hx35 on it. the hy works better. o and an hy comes on an auto 24v.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.