6.0 Miss at idle - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
LBZ_Duramax
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

6.0 Miss at idle

To start this off...I have been searching and reading for the past week on this problem. I have an 06 F-350 CC/LB Flatbed. It has 167,500 miles on it and I have just aquired it for farm work. It runs great but when it sits overnight it stumbles/misses/no power at idle. It has no smoke out of the tailpipe and it will do this for about 3-4 mins when you start it up. I dont think it is the FICM because the write up I read on it said the engine has to be cold (less than 60*F) and it is 90* here. I am having the fluids changed with Rotella T synthetic and Ford filters. Also having the fuel filters changed too. Any other possible things I could check? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM
dalpilot
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Re: 6.0 Miss at idle

Change the oil to Valv Premium blue 5-40 and see if that helps. If not do a search on Rev-X. You have a cold start/stiction issue most likely.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Fordfreak4life
Haters Gonna Hate
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

im guna 100% promote the "snake oil" its good stuff.

yes im referring to Rev-X
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
pro350hydro
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalpilot View Post
Change the oil to Valv Premium blue 5-40 and see if that helps. If not do a search on Rev-X. You have a cold start/stiction issue most likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
im guna 100% promote the "snake oil" its good stuff. yes im referring to Rev-X
x2

The 6.0 Loves the Valvoline Extreme Blue 5-40w. And it's even better with Rev-x added

My truck gets nothing else. Oh yeah, and Motorcraft/Racor filters only on fuel and oil.
  • SCT with tunes from ID and Gearhead
  • Oil and Coolant Bypass Filters
  • Fuel Pressure, HPOP Pressure, Boost and EGT on the A-Pillar
  • Edge Insight Monitors EOT, ECT, Tranny Temp
  • Anti Hi-Jack Device by Glock 9mm!
  • And tons more modded
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Fordfreak4life
Haters Gonna Hate
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

just a word of caution if you decide to use a diff. product besides rev-x that u can pick up locally and decide to go with lucas make sure u don't get the standard lucas, u need to get the full synthetic that has a black wrapper on the bottle! the original lucas will foam in your engine and cause alot of problems
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
LBZ_Duramax
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Whats the diff in rotella T6 full synthetic and the Valvoline Extreme? I bought the Rotella because I was reading on here I just needed to buy 5-40 full syn. If it is bad I will see of my parts guy will exchange it out.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
dalpilot
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Don't know the difference, but the 6.0 is very picky on its oil it likes. Royal purple 15-40 makes it very unhappy.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
DieselStroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Rotella T-6 is just fine, if you want to spend an extra $6 you can switch to Valvoline, however i have tested both and do not see a difference, always use Synthetic and Motorcraft oil filters only. As for the cold start any ford hates the cold until it gets warm, this is normal, when it starts to get below 40 outside start using your block heater, try plugging it in tomorrow and see if it runs better if the truck is plugged in for at least 2 hours.
Scangauge II by Linear Logic
Straight pipe exhaust
Westin Bull Bar
Lights
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
DieselStroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Also make sure to use a fuel additive like Diesel Kleen, Rev-X is the best, however it is also costly, there is a whole thread of different brands that are tested, you can also use FPPF right from the dealer and it is also a good product, it is more preference. Most important though is that you use something as the Diesel Fuel is not a good enough lubricant for your injectors and not using an additive will cause your injectors to go out quicker, keep that in mind.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
LBZ_Duramax
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I have been using Power service (I Think) in the Grey Bottle for the first tank. I could tell a difference in the way it sounded once it got warm but didnt help the miss at idle though. I will change the oil and filter and see if that helps the problem if not I will order some Rev-X.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 132
01platinum, 04 stroker, 04_Stroker, 06Jtbear, 06powerstroke, 07 STROKER, 07strokerftw, 1toncrew, 379cat, 530farmboy, 6literpowerstroke, armalite, bad moose, BBowden73, BGIII, BigDeal21, bigern515, BlkWolfe, Blown95svt, blownpickup, Caballo Diablo, captainharley6.0, Chad Edwards, chicken man, chris-rector, Cobra 19 & 54, coolinthewoods, CTC DEEZUL, Dal, dalpilot, Dave, daves02, ddbck, deathwishracer, dexleo2, Dieseldweller, dieseljosh07, Dieselpower25, DieselStroke, dieselvrgn, Dzchey21, eitmsmf, Erik17, Erle385, florida 6.0, flyboy41, Fordfreak4life, ftb28, FX4 F2-Fifty, gracing, gtakamoto, hawgdoctor, hill_billiez, icebob, isimar, jake4747, jamhok, JBmaker, JD F350, jdgleason, je5689, Jeff Severe, Jgman141, jonnysteals, Khemosabe, kurt klushin, Kwattro, kyle882, lake speed, LBZ_Duramax, lcford, lilredrocket, loubell, MADMAN36, mattscoke, matty169, mdfirefighter, mkelly, Monstar, Mustangl3, Nadler, namerritt, neck101, nitrogen, njmudrat, orrwhat, ottr1967, outrage, ParkerFly, patrickke, powerstrokeracing, powerstrokeshane, pro350hydro, QuickSilver74, R33615, RatherBNtheWoods, rdr99, reis1995, REV-X, RichardSATX, Rmartin-97, Rob D, Robbobchuckboheman, rolsmojave3, RRF985, sanocafire20, scranch287, scro, sdwi, semmens21, SickStroke6.0, Skintback, skono, slamminsuperduty, smokenblack, smokinstroke, Strokin304, suprdzlduty, SykoStroker06, TAMU_PSD, theGreenHornet, Thunderheader, toolmangary, tt500owner, tyler886, WasGas, WichitaF250, willholl79, william_04_x, zx800x