Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

shorten ipod cord?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  stackedstroker 
#1 ·
i have a head unit with a front usb port that i plug my ipod into
under it, theres a small storage area that i tuck my ipod into

the usb cord is LONG...can i cut and splice it back together to shorten it? its just sloppy and it bothers me...i kinda wish usb port was in the back

ill go get a pic to show you what i mean

#4 ·
you could cut and splice the wires...i had to when my dog chewed through mine they are like 80 gauge wire (really fuking small) so i soldered (sp?) them together instead of using 12-18 gauge butt connectors. But have fun with w/e you decide

#6 ·
can you order a chord that plugs into the back? my ipod plugs into the back of the head unit and I just run the chord into the glove box.

#7 ·
I wouldn't get into wires that small. If you look around online you might be able to find a shorter cable. The other option is to coil it up tighter with both ends coming out the same side of the bundle, cinch it up tight with a small zip tie, and just poke the bundle into the cubby hole next to the iPod.

Does the stereo also have rear usb? If so, run the cable in the dash to the glove box, that's what I did.

#8 ·
no rear usb unfortunately...i wish lol...im gonna drill out the back...i can run the ipod with the remote which i do now anyways because i have a ####ty ipod with a scroll wheel instead of a touch...that wheel annoys me....so im gonna make an ipod sized hole in the back of the cubby on the side nearest to the usb port. and shove the ipod plus cord back into it, placing it all behind the dash...i dont need to touch the ipod anyways...and if i need to add music i can pull it back through with the usb end

i saw a 6" cord online, and a "retractable" one that is super small when retracted....but i think im gonna try it this way...what do you think?

#9 ·
thats what my buddy did with his truck he drilled out the back of the cubby and the wire just slides in and out as he pulls the chord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.