Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Painting Grill oval and badges

16K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Zmann 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to paint the front grill oval and fender, door and tailgate badges? I wanted to black them out with either flat or gloss black. If anyone has attempted this before do you have any tips? I think if I scuff them up a bit and spray a few coats it will get the job done. Would like to remove the front oval to paint but considering taping off fender, door and tailgate badges. Thoughts?
Thanks

#2 ·
The front oval is easy to remove from the grille just a couple of lock tabs and one nut. I removed all the fender and rear oval badges from the truck with a hair dryer and fishing line, I found that easier than taping off the truck. Scuffed them all with a scotch brite pad and even wet sanded them a little with sandpaper. Primed all of them with some ahesion promoter and painted them with a few coats of krlyon fusion satin black. I had bought some white decals to go back over them, but that company no longer makes decals for Fords. They still look like the day I painted them.

#3 ·
My grill and all my badges are painted Semi Gloss Black. I didn't mess with the Ford ovals.

Use 30lb test fishing line or a hair dryer to remove your badges.

I used an XL grill so I didn't have to peal off the chrome.

Use plenty of clear coat after you finish with the black.

#5 ·
Fender vents:

Grille:

Tailgate:

The fender vents were pretty easy. I scuffed them up with 400 grit and painted over them with cheap duplicolor. They've held up very well.

With the grille and tailgate badges, I actually had a little accident with acetone on the front one and it stripped the paint right off. Instead of buying a new one I decided to scrub the rest off and paint over it with some paint I had laying around. It's actually VHT Nightshades and it's held up great. I didn't have any flat or satin black laying around and this was as close as I could get.

Not the most conventional methods, but they've worked out so far.

#6 ·
You got a good lookin truck:ford:

#9 ·
I painted my front oval badge with VHT nightshades. Turned out pretty neat, I've got a thread with pics somewhere here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.