7.3 head gasket issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
xtreme radial
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

7.3 head gasket issue

Hi, having problem with my 01 F350 Powerstroke 6spd. Engine or PCM has no modifications. Noticed oil in the coolant and Ford Dealer installed new oil cooler,gaskets etc. I have not flushed the cooling system yet of all the oil to know for sure if it's fixed. I have know noticed water in oil not a lot but there. One the passenger side exhaust manifold at the gasket I can see coolant leaking its green. Motor runs good little white smoke doesn't smell like coolant but i'm sure it is. Coolant tank has spilled over coolant . I know it's the head gasket or head. I'm going to take both heads off to change both gaskets in the truck. I've never worked on these motors but do build alot of engines. Any advise on what I need to be looking for or to buy would be great. I'm thinking about changing injector sleeves while the heads are off and getting them resurfaced and pressure tested. Can I just buy the advance auto (fel Pro) head set and new bolts. I don't plan on hot rodding engine might put a chip in for fuel economy but that's it. Engine has 280K on it.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 head gasket issue

before you pull the heads...do more diagnostics.

drain the oil (do not refill, and leave the oil pan bolt out)

pressurize the coolant system to ~12-15psi...and leave (it pressurized & regulated with shop air) overnight...and see if you have any coolant dripping from the oil pan drain hole...

if yes...then pull the valve covers, and see if you see any coolant puddles in the valve train area...(there are freeze plugs under the valve spring seats) inspect if those might be the culprit. (though that wouldn't explain the pressurized coolant tank/spewing)

pull the glowplugs, bump the engine over, and see if any (or which) cylinders have coolant in them.

if you find a cyl with coolant in it...

remove the pressure from the cooling sys...

rig up a (glowplug) compression tester adapter, and use your shop air to pressurize the cylinder through the GP hole...note if you are getting any pressure in the cooling system (hand over the open coolant jug)...

while keeping pressure in the cylinder...bar the engine over by the crankshaft bolt (24mm or 15/16")...and see if the pressure (in the cooling sys) increases or decreases with the piston at different positions in its' stroke.

...could be a cracked (or porosity in the) cyl wall if you can change the amount of pressure in the cooling system by changing the piston's position in the cylinder...

we had a bone stock F550 come in for a "headgasket" ...and we were able to determine which cyl not only was the cause of coolant/oil mixing..but we determined which cylinder..and WHERE the crack was...before we even pulled the head.

of course the customer didn't want to hear that...so he payed us to pull the head...and sho'nuff...

little vertical crack ~1.5 to 2.5" from the top of the cylinder bore...

good luck (and here's to hoping that it's just a HG)~

Dave

click to send email
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 AM
xtreme radial
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks for the advise. I will do all your tips. I can actually see the cylinder the coolant is leaking from when engines running at the exhaust manifold. The higher I rev it the more it seeps out. I've read to replace the rod in that cylinder. Can the rod be retorqued with same bolts? If the bearings look good and nothing is blueish is it ok to run that rod again? I feel I should just rebuild the engine if I'm checking rods.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:30 AM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

ok...then you may want to just skip through to pull the GP's and pressurizing the cylinder (barring the engine, etc..) to rule out a cylinder/crack issue.

(went back & re-read) yes on the Fel-Pro gaskets...yes on the (new) stock bolts...

has the truck ever hydro-locked? like you went out to crank it and it hit a hard spot?

If you get that far into it (going to pull the head)...then you might run a compression test on the other cyls jusssst to see where you're at compression wise...

if you're sub 350psi on many cyls...aaaannnd the engine is coming out...I'd bore & hone it (20,30 over) and just do it right...then you'll have a solid truck for the next 10 years...

but before you pull the rod/piston assemblies out...measure piston protrusion (above block deck) as well...just so you know if you have a short rod that should be replaced. also replacing the rod (if it's hydro-locked) wouldn't be a crazy thing to do..if you have positively ID'd the offending cyl.

holler if you need anything~

Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 AM
444ci
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

my 03 7.3 has oil in the antifreeze and i am not sure if its headgaskets or the oil cooler it got 87,000 miles the oil looks fine could this be head gaskets?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar jake View Post
my 03 7.3 has oil in the antifreeze and i am not sure if its headgaskets or the oil cooler it got 87,000 miles the oil looks fine could this be head gaskets?
definitely oil? and not diesel fuel? in the coolant?

I don't think I've ever seen an oil cooler fail to allow oil in the coolant on these engines...not saying it isn't possible...it's just that we've never seen it in our shop.

Are you ever getting any hydro-locking? blowing coolant out the coolant jug/cap?

any significant mods to the engine?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
PTSUPERD
Banning Smut
Member's Gallery

Good info here.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
sick97psd1
Mike's Diesel Performance
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to sick97psd1

My buddies 7.3 had oil in the coolant an it ended up being the oil cooler was bad. Good luck
Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 AM
xtreme radial
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Mine had oil in the coolant from cooler also. I don't have a modified glow plug to test compression nobody in my town has a kit in stock either. I called Ford today they will sell me a new rod for $90.. Do any of you know how to turn the glow plug into a tool to check compression fitting size etc?

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 136
00 ford f250, 02cummins6, 17degrees, 2000 powerstroke7.3, 2002 E350, 4BigGreen, 4x4 Nut, 7.3 problem, 73stroke99, 89 Stroker, 907superduty, 94youngturbo, 95puller, 96f350psd, 96slyz, 97SLPR, 97stroker5, 99stroker, bdelp1991, BDS, BigJake, bigrob54, birdog, Black 02, Blowby, bmxrdneck, bnbdiesel, Bobs 7.3, Brandonwilk10, brent, brucem, BURNSY_B_STROKIN, Ceelock, chassross2003, chris1978, Chrisf97305, ChunderDownUnder, codeman200, contractorjoe, copperhead99, cory99, countylaw, cumminskiller69, CUMMINS_KILLA99, cyko47, danimalmanimal, dave jr, demented_diesel, Dieselboy, dogmaticus, Donnief, Drew540, dsberman94, duxpsd, earlybroncoboy, Epic, fatsix, fluent09, FL_93_7_3L_Excursion, fminix, forkspear, fuzzydog, Garydmundy, genuineford, ghohouston, Gibrid4x4, goodole96, gottagofast, greenbeast, Haddzilla97, jake2far, JasonM, jawsfx4, Jbgabriel, jimbo51, jkgerhards, Joeyd61, josh1.123, jpgpowerstroke7.3, ju015dd, justinlogue5_0, kenny, leisurlee, mack7.3, Marty, Matikus, mbruce, Michael97, moliverna, moneypit2, MotionmanJCM, MUC worktruck, nine54, NoahA, NVJAY775, Old OutLaw, Owengilpin6, powerstrokeG38R, Pstroke-early99, rickvm, RLSCOAL, roadsaw, Rocky7.3, rodeo_man, rpm-inc, RyanDiesel, SAYiWONT8, Scott Bridgman, shortstrokin, slee22, smokinford07, snbm97, snookmanaaron, Specializeddieselnw, stackedandtuned, stroked99_1/2, Stroken03, Strokersace, tank23, tls390, TravisT, TSiZj, Tucker1, tyler886, UP2NOGD88, USMCmudslingers, Vinno, wanagofaster73, wayne1964, Wazincow, welder28, wiblueboy, wils2527, xbrotherx, xxxbrutusxxx, zx800x