TPS ajustmnet - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 OBS Power Stroke - Aftermarket & Performance
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Cratos
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

TPS ajustmnet

any one have the link on how to ajust the TPS switch ? and if it is worth doing?
Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 15,000 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter kit, ccv mod, deleted :)
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 PM
old man dave
Terminator Nation
Member's Gallery

Re: TPS ajustmnet

Its worth it if your TPS output voltage is below about 4 volts. This is approximately the full throttle voltage as read by the PCM. Some trucks have been noted to be as low as 3.5volts or so at full throttle. My truck read 100% position using EASE and Auto X-ray. AE showed it to be only 3.5 volts. (Key on Engine Off). Adjusting the TPS output voltage did make a difference with my truck.

Remove the throttle pedal assembly from the truck. Remove the TPS sensor and elongate the mounting holes so it's position can be rotated. You may have to remove the metal sleeves in the mounting holes. Remount the sensor, plug in the IVS switch and TPS sensor, and remount the throttle pedal assemby. Read the output voltage with the pedal at full throttle position while rotating the TPS until it outputs about 4.0-4.2 volts or so. Tighten down the TPS mounting screws. Some have posted that an output higher than 4.5 volts or so will make the PCM revert to a idle engine speed state so don't over rotate the TPS.

The TPS is a 5 volt 3 wire sensor. One pairing of the wires to it will read the 5 volt supply voltage using a voltmeter. Another pairing of the wires will show a varing voltage as you change the pedal position from about 0.5 volts to about 3.5 or higher volts. It is easiest to read if you have AutoEnginuity or a simular diagnostic tool. EASE does not work as noted already. If the peak reading is already about 4.0 volts you don't have to adjust it.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 AM
JCart
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Right on Old Man Dave.....

Just did this to my sig truck. Also unhooked the throttle spring from the foot peddle (used some vise grips) to do this. Much nicer now. I also shimmed out the whole throttle assembly using an equal stack of washers (behind peddle assembly) on all three mounting bolts. As I have a Husky floor mat this made a diff for WOT.

Also used a small set of vise grips to clamp the peddle WOT to the little cross bar to make adjusting easier...

Yes I like this easy mod much easier for peddle input too after unhooking the spring.. ; )

jrc
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, SRK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5 ).
White / Silver 96 F250 4x2, SCSB E4OD, 4:10 stock for now mods to install: D60, engine stuff.
Truck pix write ups
Old 12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Cratos
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

thanks guys
Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Tom S
-Moderator-
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I got you PM but did not have tha saved any where that I could find.

Tom
Old 12-06-2009, 06:27 AM
old man dave
Terminator Nation
Member's Gallery

I also drilled out the the pedal stop and replaced it with a long 5/16" bolt held in place by double nutting it with two nylock nuts and increasing potential pedal travel.

There is also a mod to reduce the dead pedal travel when coming off idle. The throttle pedal has a dead spot when coming off of idle. This is caused by the Idle Validation Switch having overtravel between the point when it resets the idle and the final no throttle pedal position. The pedal has to be released some distance before the switch changes condition and allows the PCM to see the voltage increase from the TPS. The pedal tab striker has to be bent to minimize this overtravel and thus reducing the dead zone of pedal operation when being released.

There is one problem: Reducing the overtravel distance too much and the truck will not come off of idle with increasing pedal so all of the dead zone travel cannot be eliminated but just reduced. Ideally, the switch has to reset EVERY TIME, not enough overtravel and it may work several times then not come off of idle. Big problem when you pull out into traffic. When you operate the pedal, you can hear the switch clicking each time it cycles. Once when the pedal is released and again when being depressed. As you make the adjustment reducing overtravel check every time for proper operation. It took me several times to get it right. And one failure in traffic to be really sure!!!!

So these mods (TPS and IVS) are the way you blueprint the throttle pedal operation. Thanks to the guys who figured these out on THAT OTHER site.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Bamboo
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I guess I can adjust my IVS more! and what spring are we "removing" ?? for ease on the pedal .. ?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
JCart
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Bamboo,

It is not removing the spring it is just unhooking. So you just unhook from it's hanger tab to decrease spring tension between peddle and peddle assembly.

jrc
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Bamboo
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Which spring?? bottom one or the top one?? pretty large spring right..??

been trying to fix my pedal issues for long time.. So stoked I might have found a solution
Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
STROKER #1
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Lightbulb Re: TPS ajustmnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man dave View Post
I also drilled out the the pedal stop and replaced it with a long 5/16" bolt held in place by double nutting it with two nylock nuts and increasing potential pedal travel.

There is also a mod to reduce the dead pedal travel when coming off idle. The throttle pedal has a dead spot when coming off of idle. This is caused by the Idle Validation Switch having overtravel between the point when it resets the idle and the final no throttle pedal position. The pedal has to be released some distance before the switch changes condition and allows the PCM to see the voltage increase from the TPS. The pedal tab striker has to be bent to minimize this overtravel and thus reducing the dead zone of pedal operation when being released.

There is one problem: Reducing the overtravel distance too much and the truck will not come off of idle with increasing pedal so all of the dead zone travel cannot be eliminated but just reduced. Ideally, the switch has to reset EVERY TIME, not enough overtravel and it may work several times then not come off of idle. Big problem when you pull out into traffic. When you operate the pedal, you can hear the switch clicking each time it cycles. Once when the pedal is released and again when being depressed. As you make the adjustment reducing overtravel check every time for proper operation. It took me several times to get it right. And one failure in traffic to be really sure!!!!

So these mods (TPS and IVS) are the way you blueprint the throttle pedal operation. Thanks to the guys who figured these out on THAT OTHER site.
Dave, instead of bend the pedal tab striker, drill the tab, tap it and install a straigth screw and tight it with a little nut against the tab; in that way you have an easy microadjustment as needed. I hope I explain myself.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 141
"Q", 02 CCSB, 02-jeeper, 02POWERSTROKE7.3, 03ford6.0, 1995stroker, 1996timemachine, 1craneguy, 1nasty7point3, 69800, 738drvr, 79jasper, 94Matt, 94powerstroke, 96stacked&smoken, 97Heavy Duty, 97internationalstroker, 97psd4x4, 97stroker_08, 97stroking1982, 9NUTZ7, abrooks63, asodog, autokid, AZCrazian, Bamboo, benshp, bftank, big block, bigstroke, BigWhite97, BilgeRat, billystroker, Black_Clouds, Blowby, bmorervns20, BRAVO, BROCKDIESELDUDE, bry03, Bushwakd, cgress, cory728, cthom388, Dave09, davidamontoya, dieselpower97f250, Diesel_Dust, Dill, dinikin, Dirtyboy82, Dundunitall, early 99 powerstroke, EastTxStroker, eric96ford, e_in_tn, f250towrig, floridastroke, fordmasterdieseltech, fpOwerstRokeD, glovemeister, Gobstopper909, Goose1995, groomzybanshe, gsxr1216, hag000, highboost, highfive, Illinois7.3, Jacobbingham, JCart, jeremiahmercier, JHill, jjmcd, JL BendOr, JohnF, joshua.a.rackley, Kenny Bob, lengelhardt, lib88stang, LT313, m j, M1009cucv11, Macchina50, maplemale, MATREDGT, mddevore, Meisner, metrojd, mf2racer, miner8181, neverkickn, Nitro41, no-tel-in, np205, OBSpstroke97, old blue, old man dave, Old OutLaw, oldman, ole red, oregon96psd, Peroni, portlandareae28, PSD 2004, richardschroeder, RMBC Freeride, rpm-inc, rusty1161, SevenThreeOBS, shmober, shorty 97, sideactiondiesel, Slimline, sobek11367, Southpaw, sparkey75, spokanepaul, Stokes, stonemason, strokefreak, STROKER #1, SVance, tfast250, theoldgirl1990, thompson238, timmay316, tongboy, tredav39, Truck4, uhoh0573, V97F350, wanagofaster73, WidowMaker, wildbillcody97, Wvdieseltech, wyvern, ytee, Zrock