Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Sumps

5K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  Cat_Rebel 
#1 ·
So what all is the performance advantages VS the disadvantages to running a sump. Problems that occur. And whats the flow difference?

If possible post up some pics of bought or DIY sumps.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Homemade. I like it so far. Have not been running it long though. FYI, Just buy one. Im sure it will install much easier than mine did.

#4 ·
i have one on mine from hellman as well, works great make sure you seal it as well as the gasket...

it will improve your flow tremendously as the line would be 1/2" on it instead of the small stocker. you get a high volume of fuel leading to your pump instead of using a larger diameter draw straw. pretty much lets you use as big of a pump and move more fuel than you will ever need.

#10 ·
Return line is 3/8". My previous pick up tube is now my return tube because its bigger. I put a piece of rubber hose over the open tube, clamped it, then threaded a bolt in the end of the rubber hose.

#19 ·
They will both accomplish the same thing, I did the bulkhead back in 02 before I had Matt Miller design the sump pictured.
How much is one from DI?
I don't have them made anymore, not enough interest for the trouble.
I carry a few of the ones Hellmann makes.

#17 ·
Get the one from Hellmann that Coope posted up.

#22 ·
i would think that you couldnt run the tank very low with the bulkhead fitting approach. with the sump, mounting it as far back as possible and running the fitting on the back of it is how you are supposed to do it on drag cars. ever seen a drag car with the fittings coming out of the front or side of the tank?

#28 ·
man its easy, sump is gravity fed from the bottom of the tank, you can run the tank practically dry.

it is less prone to air due to it being located at the lowest point of the tank and being submerged at all times.
No probs with sloshing at low fuel levels?
If you get the fuel low enough that it will pick up air with a pick up on top of the tank it will also pick up air with a sump or a bulkhead fitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.