Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

over heated

556 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  trentmccor7 
#1 ·
hey. Yesterday my truck over heated so I replaced the thermostat and ran fine for about 40 miles. Once i pulled onto my street I started to hear a squealing noise. I haven't been able to trace it down since it was about dark and had to unpack my camper. But I was wondering if any of you guys kinda knew what it could be or has happened to you.
Next question is with this new thermostat my gauge is now reading between the M and A in normal and before it was between the R and M both stats are 205* is this an ok place for the needle to be and will a 97 psd 195* stat fit in my 95?
sorry about the length and thanks in advance.

#3 ·
How exactly did it overheat? Just high on the temp gauge? Did any coolant come out? Did the over-temp light come on?

Squealing noise might be the belt. Check the tensioner, look for foreign matter on the belt, esp. if you had coolant loss, it may be leaking on the belt. WP or radiator or hose leak may be getting the belt wet.

#4 ·
the needle was on the top line of the normal window it never hit HOT. When I stopped there was anti freeze all over the engine bay. Nothing was on ground. When I got home I would say about a gallon of anti freeze leaked out onto the ground. Oh I also after I cahnged the t-stat I used a gallon of anti freeze and about 3 gal of water to fill it back up.

#5 ·
Okay, if you replenished it using only one gallon of anti-freeze, and three gallons of water, you weakened the mixture. Weaker mixture has a lower boiling point. Dunno if it specifically happens with the OBS PSD, but with a lot of vehicles, a weak mixture will cause the coolant to boil at a temperature _below_ the thermostat opening point. This will cause coolant to spew out of the reservoir (degas).

'Course, first, you have to determine where the coolant came from. Is there a leak somewhere, or did it just boil up out of the degas bottle? Chase that down first.

#6 ·
ok that makes sense. First when I noticed it was hot and changed the t-stat it looked like it all came from the fill reservoir on the passenger side. but when I got home I wasn't able to see where it was leaking from. It looked like it was running and dripping off the oil pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.