Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Elevation affect mpg?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  gborgh 
#1 ·
I usually get around 14-15 all in town driving. I live in San Angelo Texas and the elevation of San Angelo is 1919ft. I went to Ruidoso, NM and in all the hills,strictly in town driving, I consistently in three tanks averaged 19.5 mpg. So I was wondering if elevation effects mpg. The elevation of Ruidoso is 6920ft. Driving on the highway I averaged 21 on two tanks. I don’t see how this is possible and thought that the elevation can affect mpg. I usually get about 20 on the highway. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
It's all about driving style.

Depending on speeds, I can either get better than usual or much worse than usual mileage when I'm in the mountains. Slower speeds will greatly help mileage. Remember that when you coast at under 2000 RPM's, the 7.3L will shut down the injectors. Get a nice long grade, and you can coast for a few miles without using a drop of fuel. That's one good way to boost mileage.

#5 ·
I always get better mileage in the mountains in Colorado than I do on the plains. I credit my driving style that takes advantage of the long grades...

Sam

#6 ·
I believe that elevation by itself will affect mileage. your MAP sensor sees less air, so it injects less fuel until you come on to boost. it's almost like accelerating lighter without changing your driving habits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.