Fan shroud? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 AM
BUFF
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Fan shroud?

Ok guys dont give me crap for this question. The belt tensoner has gone bad on my truck causing the belt to come loose. I have the new parts. Do I realy have to remove the entire shroud and the fan just to remove the belt? Or can I remove the bolts from the inner shroud from the block and seperate it from the main shroud on the radiator and cut it in half and junk it. I know a couple of you guys are not running an inner shroud is there any problems with it. This looks like a royal pain in the butt for what should be a simple repair I could do in 15min if all that crap was not in my way.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Logan21SV
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Re: Fan shroud?

I never put the shroud that attaches to the engine back in! the only thing u will have to do is change the way the fan clutch wiring is done! I just take the PS badge off and cut a groove in there and run the connecter to the driver side and then zip tie it to the outer shroud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Abrannan19
Proud Sponsor
Member's Gallery

here are some pics to illustrate what logan just said

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford
Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 AM
BUFF
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Is it just clips holding the inner and outer shroud together under the rubber gasket?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 AM
teamroper60
SLAPS President
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
Ok guys dont give me crap for this question. The belt tensoner has gone bad on my truck causing the belt to come loose. I have the new parts. Do I realy have to remove the entire shroud and the fan just to remove the belt? Or can I remove the bolts from the inner shroud from the block and seperate it from the main shroud on the radiator and cut it in half and junk it. I know a couple of you guys are not running an inner shroud is there any problems with it. This looks like a royal pain in the butt for what should be a simple repair I could do in 15min if all that crap was not in my way.
Since taking my stator (the part you are asking about) off, I have run about 3K miles with about half of that towing a 15K 5er in temps up to 100 degrees and over just about every kind of terrain except bona fide mountains (though I have pulled some pretty good hills)... My engine is not running any hotter, my A/C is as cold as ever and I have room to work on the truck. I have yet to find any reason to put it back on..

BTW, with the stator out of the way, you can change the tensioner, both idler pulleys and the serpentine belt in that 15 minutes.. Been there, done that....

SLAPS President and Webmaster
Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Logan21SV
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Thanks Adam that is exactly what I was trying to describe!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 AM
BUFF
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

What a pain in the a$$! Whoever desigend that shroud and the belt routing needs a good whoopin. I ended up cuting out the inner shroud witha sawzall and snips and that took the longest. I did the harness a little different. I keep it where it was and drilled four holes in the outer shroud and attached it with zip ties.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Logan21SV
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

be careful fan clutchs arent cheap, and splicing the wires does not work. The clutch will stay engaged.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:33 AM
BUFF
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan21SV View Post
be careful fan clutchs arent cheap, and splicing the wires does not work. The clutch will stay engaged.
I didnt have to lengthen the harness and it was not long enugh to route over the shroud like in those pictures. Once I removed the inner shroud I kept it attached to that J shaped plastic bracket. All I did was keep it in the same position and used three very heavy duty zip ties to attach it to the main shroud with more than two inches clearence from the fan. I will try to take pictures this weekend and post them. It looks much cleaner under the hood now.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:33 AM
FRUITBOY
Banned
Member's Gallery

the shroud is there for maximum engine cooling . Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 93
03-blue-Powerstroke, 04 stroker, 06powerstroke, 6speedSD, aggie, amdriven2liv, BamaSixGun, bigboy73, bigern515, BISHP1, bismic1, blackwaterstroker, BMac, bmg11, boosted93cobra, BUFF, Dangyo, DBM, Dieselboy, DIRTBIKEZ, Doward, DOZ61, duece, Dustin F2504x4, Extended Power, F-250-Owner, fdny136, ford03six0, FRUITBOY, FTREE50, genuineford, gman77, gtmustang00, headviking, hillbilly123, HiVoltage, HMBUILDER4U2004, imelmo, j350_05, jake4747, jdc753, Jgman141, jpcrawler80, jtlease, jzamluk, koky131, lemongrovemike, Logan21SV, LRTMatt, markt, mhartman, mike61, MisterCMK, muchi56, pro350hydro, pwrstrk4x4, Quickerthanu, razorscs, rdr99, RescueF250, Rick C, rmkking6, rob40cal, rock_doctor, SamW, scottmorin156, Shadow, Sigster, Slowrx, smokeem, Smokin Stroker, smokinstroker, sniperonhigh, sonnyy13n, spindrift, Stroked95, Strokin304, SuperDuty73, tank, TexasStroke01, Tim98TA, toverbey21, twhouse, vapstroke, wetnsloppy4x, william_04_x, Zmann, zunk