Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR 6.0L

22K views 137 replies 62 participants last post by  kenk 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this site and am looking for information. I am in the market for a diesel truck probable an F350. We are looking to upgrade our 26 foot camping trailer. My question is for thoose that have the 6.0L diesel engine are you happy with it? How many miles do people have on them and have you had any major problems? I can only find mixed reviews. Any info would be helpfull. Just want to make sure it will be a good reliable truck. Thank you, Chris

#3 ·
Any 6.0 truck you become interested in buying you need to take the VIN to a Ford dealer asking them to run an OASIS report. This will list any and all work done to the vehicle at Ford dealerships. It will give you an indication of the past repairs to make a better "guesstimation" of the overall condition of the motor.

My '06 has 106k with some mods and an SCT making me a happy camper!!

#5 ·
:whs: Get an oasis, i have 123k on mine with the mods on my sig below. The only big thing ive done is an Full EGR delete, that i wanted to do. LOVE MINE!

G
#6 ·
This is my second 6.0 and I have had pretty good luck with them. Both F-350 dually's. Superchip Cortex and K&N intake, everything else is stock. My first 6.0 had a few problems such as 4 injector's needed to be replaced at 80,000 miles. A couple of oil leaks other than that nothing major. The F-350 I have now is a 2003 and has 130,000 miles on it. I changed one injector at 125,000 miles other than that it's been a really good truck. I have talked to many guys about the 6.0 and some say they have nothing but problems but most guys like them. Hope this helps..

#30 ·
well here is my to cents!I drive my 7.3 balls to the wall! and i know many others do the same with the 7.3! I never had a 6.0 but I dont think I would sell my 7.3 for one. I have 87k on mine and I had to change an o-ring on my oil lines and vaule caver gaskets

#11 ·
Do I like the 6.0L?......no.....not really.

Every time my right foot gets too close to the gas peddle,....it pisses itself....literally.

I've studded it, and it still burps out of the degas bottle......and I don't have the cash flow to redo anything right now.....it's getting kinda agrevating.

#12 ·
169k on my truck and its one of the 2003 motors i love my truck the only think i foot like is the cold starts in the winter other wise i love it blot more than my old 7.3 oh ya original head Gaskets and coolers

#14 ·
Bought mine in October 07 with 49k on the clock and BONE stock, have a couple things done now and with 84k its doing good. Only thing I have had is some cold start issues, did the reflash last year and it helped for that winter but this year its back and rough but now that the warmer weather is here it starts great. Never had any puking till the SCT but its not too bad and easily controllable with my right foot. EGR valve plugged up but that was a 30minute fix thanks to this site.

Make sure you get an OASIS report in the truck before buying, its hard to tell what has been done to these trucks and this will be the best research you can do before purchasing.

#16 ·
I like my truck and I think if you set them up right and maintain it religiously it's a good vehicle. I wouldn't recommend buying one to anyone though. It's not that it isn't a good engine, it's that you'll have less headaches with a good condition 7.3L

I'm surprised at the guys on here recommending he buy one. He doesn't already own one, he's in the luxurious position of choosing. There are much better engines for reliability than the 6.0 and he stated that reliability is what he wants.

#19 ·
I am not happy whatsoever if i had a chance to go back i would have bought a cummins put a trans in it and been hapy i have had nothing but problems with mine, for the past 4 months it hasnt made it more than a week without breaking down, its left me stranded at least 6 times to where i had to tow it, now i might just have a lemon so i am only speaking for my truck and noone elses

#21 ·
No problems here! This is the second 6.0 in my family, both are great! My 06 has no issues, our old 04 blew a high pressure oil line running from the HPOP to the heads. Only issue it had, and kind of a strange one. BTW, both 6.0's are holding up better than our new 6.4...

#25 ·
Am I happy?

Yes and No... When this thing works good its wonderful. (when is a huge factor)

The thing cost me a little over 4k in the first 8 months of ownership. if I took the 4k out of it and put it into say... a Cummins.

well #### I would be laughing.

the problem is it seems like finding a good 6.0 liter is like playing russian roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber. good luck winning that game and when you do get a good setup enjoy it.

#36 ·
i bought my 6.0 used and it now has just less then 190000 on it and the only thing i have changed failure wise was the coolant tube on the egr cooler. That was also before I deleted it. I really like my truck. But on the flip side my brother in law has had his truck in the shop more than he has driven it. his is an 07 and it has 15000 miles on it.

#37 ·
Thank you all for the info sounds like the most people are happy with the 6.oL and haven't had to many issues. I have thought about and looked for a 7.3 but everything has over 100,000 miles. I would like one with a warranty due to the possible problems with the 6.oL. I only plan on doing exhaust and gauges. Do you guys think the extended warranty is worth it? Again thank you for all the info.

#39 ·
Just a heads up, stay away from that site!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.