Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

When going for a job interview?

783 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  00strokey7.3 
#1 ·
This is a question for any people that have hired and or still hire for a company. What is it that a supervisor looks at when you are at a job interview? I have only been though 1 job interview in my life and it really wasn't much of an interview. So I really don't know what to expect going for interviews? Any input from anyone out there? Please:bowfast:

#3 ·
Im going through a class for that this week. Its part of the transitioning out of the military thing. They look for you to be professional in appearance such as how you carry yourself in words and action also in the way that you dress, being on time, being knowledgeable about the job you are applying for, they want to know what you will be able to do for them. How are you going to save that company money? They want to make sure that you will "fit in" with the other employees there. There really is a lot more that they look for as well. Go to your local employment center and ask for tips about going in for an interview. They can help you a lot.

#4 ·
Try to do your research on the company to know what sets them apart from their competitors.
Be 100% honest.
Be confident in what you know. My boss to be was interviewing me and asked me what I knew about engines, "well, I know the basics of what makes them run, but as for specifics, the only engine system I know fairly well is the 7.3L PSD". He joked quizzing me about the fuel system on it, but I think I surprised him by detailing the OBS fuel system path. Of course, if you're applying for a computer job, the PSD won't help you much. But I was applying for a job doing tech support for equipment.
Be interested in the work you'll be doing.

That's all I can think of right now.

#5 ·
confidence, apearance and knowledge. those are the three big ones they look for. Be out spoken but not obnoctious, be confident but not cocky, be knowledgeable in what you are trying to do. Dont go to a supervisor position job interveiw if youve never been a supervisor before. And dress well even if your going to a interview for a mechanic job dress sharp clean and get a hair cut and shave. There you go do these things and show up with a reseme.

#6 ·
Ahhh yes the interview.....I myself have been to many an interview and I'm not tooting my own horn but every job that I've interview for and wanted I've got an offer for. I've been through a few classes on this too so here's my input.

First off it starts with your resume. A well put together resume is critical, I've been through some interviews where the person conducting the interview will go right through my resume and pick it apart. You have to be able to back up anything you put down/claim on the resume and talk about it as if it's on the back of your hand. That shows confidence in your past experiences. A resume must be well written and flow nicely, bosses look at resumes in about 30secs-1min and decide if you are a candidate or not. Resume writing is and art in itself.

Ok for the interview. Regardless of how casual you think the interview is going to be ALWAYS dress nicely. First impression is critical.

So what does and interviewer look for? Here are the basics:

You must be engaged in what the company does, do a little research about the company you're interviewing for. What do they do? What do they do well? How did they get where they are today? What are their future plans for the company. I always research the company I'm interviewing for and write questions down to ask during the interview, don't bring the questions in on a piece of paper, know them off the top of your head. Usually I start asking questions at the end of the interview. I show that I'm engaged and very interested in the company.

The number one thing that a boss wants in an employee now a days is a A PROBLEM SOLVER. Ask yourself what can I bring to the table for this company to be a problem solver on a day to day basis. Know your strengths and how they can benefit the company. When an interviewer asks you "what can you do for my company" NEVER NEVER say "oh I can do anything you want me to". All that says is that you are desperate and don't really know how you're strengths can help the company. An interviewer needs more substance than that.

Finally towards the end usually is the fun part for me. I usually start putting the pressure on the interviewer. Asking questions such as, "where do you see the company going in the future", "explain how I would advance within the company", "explain the benefits your company offers". I real interviewer will try to sell the company to you and make it appear that his or her company is the best company to work for, that could be true, but you need to be able to decipher that yourself and if that really is the case or if they are feeding you lines of bull.

Also, usually don't bring up pay in the first interview unless the interviewer does.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. The big thing to remember right now is that people are desperate because of unemployment and that can look bad to an interviewer if someone comes across that way.

The biggest thing to remember is this....the company has to fit for the employee and the employee has to fit with the company...that is the start to a successful working relationship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.