Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Just Built This Forum.

13K views 102 replies 45 participants last post by  MILFORD 
#1 ·
and i'll start it out with...what have you heard? I heard twin turbo, urea injected monster, that makes 405/750 at the crank, with all EPA equipment installed .

My guess is, if this talk is even close to realistic...we are in for something.

#2 ·
I heard 390/720 at the crank. Twin turbo, urea injected, and pretty advanced EPA equipment compared to the 6.4L. I am not sure if they are going to use a DOC again. I have read about something called Selective Catalytic Reduction(SCR). I am sure it accomplishes the same concept, but is more advanced and efficient than the DOC. Heard they are not making major changes to the bodystyle at first. Kind of like the transition in bodystyle from the 7.3 to 6.0 was minimal and the 04 6.0 to the 05 6.0 change was minimal. I guess we will just have to see though

#4 ·
i did hear it was a twin turbo. i did hear it was reversed exhaust flow. other details will trickle in i suppose.

"In earlier spy photos of Scorpion-equipped test trucks, we wondered why the Super Duty mules needed raised hoods. Now we think we know the reason: The picture clearly shows a gigantic radiator used to cool the engine for extreme towing applications.

Ford increased the size of the radiator in the 2008 Super Duty, when the 6.4-liter V-8 diesel debuted, by 33 percent. Now, we estimate its surface area has increased approximately another 10 to 20 percent with the new radiator. It’s so large it apparently has to be canted backward to fit under the hood!

Our sources say the Scorpion will share several key traits with GM's revolutionary new light-duty 4.5-liter Duramax V-8 diesel engine. Intake and exhaust flow through the cylinder heads is reversed (relative to conventional diesel-engine design), with the exhaust exiting directly into dual sequential turbos sitting in the engine's valley. The Scorpion will also use lighter aluminum cylinder heads, abandoning the cast-iron heads found in today's 6.4-liter Power Stroke.

Power targets are said to be more than 390 horsepower and 720 pounds-feet of torque. Today's Power Stroke diesel is rated at 350 hp and 650 pounds-feet.Scorpion fuel economy is expected to improve by 3 mpg or more versus the current Power Stroke. Helping the Scorpion's mileage will be a new six-speed automatic transmission, like the 2009 Ford F-150 has."

here are some spy shots i found.

#9 ·
The Scorpion will also use lighter aluminum cylinder heads, abandoning the cast-iron heads found in today's 6.4-liter Power Stroke

I hate to see more aluminum and less cast-iron. Im sure they have it all figured out, I just dont want it to end up like the early Duramaxes. (melted). I think ill be sticking with something with a little iron left in the engine for a while.

#12 ·
Those come out in 2010 or 2011? I've seen both years listed.

#14 ·
In Diesel Power they had it listed as coming out as a 2010 model year, but they could be wrong.

#24 ·
Exactly why I bought an 06, nothin but a CAT and EGR. Both easy to lose...

#25 ·
A college buddy of mine called me the other day to tell me they had a motor on the shop floor for tooling design.... I begged for some pictures, but alas I failed... I didn't get a whole lot of details and I am sure he won't budge. Something about those confidentiality agreements that all us engineers have to sign to do automation work for these different companies. We see all sorts of cool stuff but can't talk about it. :doh:

#26 ·
I think my next truck is going to be a 6.7 maybe if they come out with the new body style by 2012 I will get one.

#27 ·
i have also heard that ford is making the 6.7, but they need to fix that front end it is ugly but the 6.7 sounds like its going to be bad a^^

#29 ·
ive been hearing its going to be a compact graphite iron block which would be a good thing for performance

#30 ·
Anyone else thing that the engine shot could be something other than a v-8.

I have heard alot of rumors.

1. Told at 3 different ford dealers the 6.7 is going to be a Cummins motor. (I call BS)

2 That the engine will be a Inline 6.

3 Single turbo v-8 with urea injection producing 390/720 hp/tq

4 Twin turbo v8 with urea injection producing 390/720 hp/tq

#33 ·
I will say compound V8 just like it is now

#34 ·
i hope the dont go cummins, but an inline 6 compound would be great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.