Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Options for the Goat.

603 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HotRodTractor 
#1 ·
Well, it's raining... again. The simple "do a couple tricks and run it" project has morphed into a complete pavement-up reconstruction. The list of options has grown, been cut, then grown some more.
I'm still going to (try) stick to my original budget of $2000, but here's how it breaks down.

Everyone agrees that the stock inj have to go, though opinions differ on what to replace with. The latest and so far best choice is a 200cc hybrid.

The jury is still out on the turbo, there's some low cost do-able options but it's not clear yet if a big intercooler from a semi will enhance the stockers ability to produce more power via mass.

The tranny seems to be the real sticky part. I already own the ZF, but a good clutch will kill the budget. However, I've been looking into a C6. I know they came behind IDI's in the late 80's, I also have seen in person the power they can handle w/out spending big $. The convertor is also more available through the speed shops. ? is which is least expensive and will work better w/the new platform.

Which brings me to the latest and most radicle idea. I can score a 1/2 ton SWB 2wd 90's f150 for lunch$. Swap the cab and engine, relocate the rad, bats and res to the bed and stick a junkyard semi IC in the empty core support. A 3.08 9" rear from a 70's truck will keep the mph/rpm liveble and the boost up against the conv. The lighter mass will help keep the tranny alive and like 444-4D said, I can scrap the rest.

? is can I sell the ZF&rear for enough to offset the cost of the donnor truck, C6 and conv.

1/2 ton SWB------$150
C6---------------$100
Solid rebuild------$400
Good conv (used)-$300
9"----------------$50
Pete IC-----------$150
total-------------$1150 = a good clutch?

On the plus side
ZF5spd (good)---$600????
4.10 rear---------$100???
2 tons of scrap---$140
Donner parts?----$100????
total-------------$940

That would bring the total spent b-4 inj, turbo, and misc to around $850.

Tell me what you think, besides I'm an Idiot. Is this resonable, not smart or easy, just resonable?

See less See more
#2 ·
The latest and so far best choice is a 200cc hybrid.

The jury is still out on the turbo, there's some low cost do-able options but it's not clear yet if a big intercooler from a semi will enhance the stockers ability to produce more power via mass.
200cc Hybrid is not a bad choice.

A big IC from a semi will NOT enhance the stockers ability enough to screw with it. Put that IC to use with some of the DIY turbo options and make the fab work worth your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.