Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

truck eats trans

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  99oilburner 
#1 ·
why does my truck eat trans it has 162000 and has had at least 3 trannys in it and this trans has about 18000 miles and the converter is bad in it wasn't worth 900.00. don't understand what is going on the truck only made 298 hp on the dyno so i don't know what is going on. this trans is a ford reman with bts valve body and triple disk converter. i am thinking of putting a zf6 in i am tired of the autos. any help would be nice thanks Brad:confused:

#2 ·
Maybe you could talk to BTS and get one of their trans and not have these breakdowns? Ford reman? Same people who gave us the diode in 01?

#3 ·
What modifications do you have to the rest of the truck? Chip, tires etc?

#4 ·
Did whoever install the trans flush the lines and Rad core? Install a filter in line? Replace the factory cooler? Check for failed rubber lines? Either the builder is a Idiot or the installer is one or both.

#10 ·
:whs:

#5 ·
i put the trans in the truck and use an aftermarket cooler and all new lines. i have a dp tuner and intake and reg return fuel system with aeromotive fuel pump. the truck made 298 on the dyno. i don't think that would hurt the trans with a bts valve body and triple disk converter. i just got done pulling the trans again and the fluid has alot of little shiny metal particulates in it.

#7 ·
sounds to me like your little metel particals in the fluid are eating your tranny, either you got a bad tranny again or just didnt flush the lines or somthing. did you reuse your triple disk convertor when you replaced your tranny last time? that thing will hold a lot of fluid loaded with the abrasive metel.

#9 ·
sounds like a bad tranny then, just weird your goin through them like that. i would deffinatly go with the 6 speed, hell a clutch aint to bad to replace but a tranny every so often can get expensive. On a side note do you do a lot of mudding? I know these trannys dont like being "spun" in the mud seems to wear em out, even though there isnt much aof a load because your just spinning in the mud it does somthing to them. Either way even if you drive normal on the road stuff id do a 6 speed or go with the bts trans just because of your luck with autos in that truck. good luck with it.

#11 ·
How do you screw up installing a trans?

#12 ·
its easy to screw up a trans... just let the TC come out of the pump key a tad and then bolt it up -- pushes everything back together - jacks up the pump and TC at least... only thing is then it won't run at all!

#13 ·
this truck has never been in the mud. this was a every driver until 2 months ago now it just sit in the garage. the only thing i have done with the truck is haul firewood and pulled a dodge backwords once. i just got the trans back out and the fluid is purple looking for some reason and this was merc 5 fluid not royal purple so i don't know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.