Injector Cup replacement? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
CNDiesel
PSD
Member's Gallery

Injector Cup replacement?

Is this something that i could do my self?

I Found a set of 7.3 heads that "could use injector cup replacment" I figure it would be a worth while investment to have a set of 7.3 Heads to port, Valve grind, out and put upgraded valve springs to save future down time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke Racer
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert
Member's Gallery

Re: Injector Cup replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDiesel View Post
Is this something that i could do my self?

I Found a set of 7.3 heads that "could use injector cup replacment" I figure it would be a worth while investment to have a set of 7.3 Heads to port, Valve grind, out and put upgraded valve springs to save future down time.
it's an easy enough job with the right tools.
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination. Diesel Innovations Online Performance Diesel Products!
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
NastyCracker
Old But Sexy junkie!
Member's Gallery

Racer, what tools are needed? Anything special? Also,any hints would be GREAT! I got a friend in need, his truck is down. We're thinking about doing all 8 cups at this point.

If it's worth having, it ain't cheap.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Barnbuilder
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Barnbuilder

If you buy the parts from Swamp's they'll lown the tools. Will be a breeze with the heads off. You'll need some green Loctite.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM
tank
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

to awnser your original qusetion it would be a piece of cake to change out all the cups when the heads are out off the vehichle. if you buy the cups from swamps they will loan you the proper remooval and install tools required to do the job right.

i'm not trying to highjack your thread but have a question about injector cups on my early 99. i'm doing all 8 on mine today. I got it apart and pulled all 8 injectors yesterday and pressureized the coolant system. that is when I found 4 cracked cups. I was able to borrow the proper puller and installer tools.
so here is the question.
with the engine still in the truck how do you get to the back couple cups? cylinder # 3-5-7 on the passenger side and the #8 on the drivers side? are there any tricks to the removal process???? there is no way to get the slide hammer in there. if I can get them out I should be able to install the new cups easy enough.
also how much locktite and where on the cups do I put it?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Barnbuilder
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Barnbuilder

Only one I had a tough time on was #5 due to the heater box. I put a socket over the tap and ran a bolt through it into the tap to get the cup out. Put the locktite on the surfaces that make contact with the head. At the bottom and around the top I think. After it sits for a while look into the cup and dry the cups of any excess loctite. If it dries in the bottom its a bitch to get out. From experience.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
NastyCracker
Old But Sexy junkie!
Member's Gallery

I was hoping not to need to take the heads off. I'm sure that it's much easier with the heads off. I've never taken the heads off, so I don't know what's involved, the only reason for hesitation. Thanks for the nod to Swamps. I'll check him out.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke Racer
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyCracker View Post
Racer, what tools are needed? Anything special? Also,any hints would be GREAT! I got a friend in need, his truck is down. We're thinking about doing all 8 cups at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnbuilder View Post
Only one I had a tough time on was #5 due to the heater box. I put a socket over the tap and ran a bolt through it into the tap to get the cup out. Put the locktite on the surfaces that make contact with the head. At the bottom and around the top I think. After it sits for a while look into the cup and dry the cups of any excess loctite. If it dries in the bottom its a bitch to get out. From experience.
I have the slide hammer setup, they make a kit that is similar to what Barnbuilder is describing above.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
NastyCracker
Old But Sexy junkie!
Member's Gallery

Swamps had cups for about 15 a pop. Resonable I think. I'll call him later. Thanks again guys.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM
tank
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnbuilder View Post
thank you you're a life saver.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 155
"THE DEMIZE", 02BigD, 19stroker97, 1badz, 1craneguy, 250turbo, 389SixPack, 7.3 Blackout, 73LSTROKER, 96 stroker, 96powerstroke7.3, 96P_Stroke4x4, 99strokin, ADubDiesel, AlaskaRedneK, Arisley, average, Barnbuilder, Big Monk, biggreen96, BIGK, bigstroke, big_stroker, blackie375, BlackPearl03, bmxrdneck, bnbdiesel, brokexj, Bushwakd, caspower, CenTexStroker, CNDiesel, Colorado, crowz, Cruiser, Dansk, Dave, dave jr, Deerezilla, dezl, DieselBrad, dieselman, Disappointedpowerstroke, dixieland-diesels, dlopp, Drew540, drwoodchopper, dzlstroker, Eford00, EverettWV, fastmust88, fbilly420, FORD RECOVERY EXPERT, fordtough97, Francesco, giveupdafunk, golfer, Goober1979, harrymank, have12, Hawker, ianjadkins, ironworker25, JDOliver, Jeep1947, Jeepermc, John_DeereGreen, Jprejean, jrainw, jtbowen31, justintt, KansasStroker, kawa, Kentuckydiesel, kip4234, LANCE105010, mandkole, marc15663, mattymx, Matt_P, Mayday, meflamout, metrojd, Michael97, mike scordo, mojoman, mrgrimm, mtgrease, my97stroker, nasty96, NastyCracker, NyCowboy87, o0brando0o, oght6, ohiopsdfordman, old man dave, oldbluef250, opieg01, philzman, Pipewhiner, pjwoolw, Poh, Powerstroke Racer, powerstroke095, powerstroke742008, powerstrokenstang, PSDfan99, PSscrapper88, qcfarmer, RedSmokey, Reubine, Riley250, Ripsaw, rkdblacksmoke, Rodknocker, rollingthunder, rpm-inc, rusty1161, ryanlathey, siamoutas, sidssm, silverslug, sly10, SNR, sparksrides350, Stafford, Stewart, stoneykegonsa, STROKER #1, sunny644, Tail_gunner, Tampa450, tank, thompson238, Tim @ P.I.S., Tipher, tjbeggs, ToddZ, Tom S, toolmangary, twstmup, UNCOOL, vanillagorilla, vapstroke, WilST, Woodnthings8, xrcris, zarrinvz24, zilla68