Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

NOOOO doubt.

8K views 101 replies 37 participants last post by  Short Bus 
#1 ·
Well Thursday I installed the turbo @ the shop, drove home and cracked the 6.0 intercooler.

Saturday I drive back to the shop, install the new 6.0 intercooler, double clamp the boots, fix one of the intake Y boots that was barely hangin on, fix the exhaust entirely and it's perfect, put a new O ring on the inside of the pan for the dipstick and start the truck up. Man it sounded good, and everything was great.

Leave the shop and get on it while entering 95 and hear a loud screech.

Get off the next exit and pull into a gas station, pull the intake off and the turbo wheel is eating into the housing.

WTF.... :doh:

If it isn't one thing, it's another.

#3 ·
lol doubtful that would happen considering my buddy said he had a baby tune on his new motor and layed down 646 on his Dmax LOL....

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that Marty. The K31 did the same thing when it was new. I caught it quick enough to not cause any damage. I noticed the blue haze in the exhaust from it starting to leak oil. Needless to say I was down while it got shipped back and forth.

#12 ·
15 miles tops on the turbo, was driven LIGHTLY afterwards since I was almost home. I knew that could happen and that's why I drove lightly after figuring it out.

#14 ·
Was bought locally from a guy on Thedieselgarage.com - Craig from Maryland Diesel Performance.

It was the big charger in a compound setup that supposedly had 1000 miles on it. Unforunately the "for sale" ad was lost during their forum crash.

Long story about how long it took me to get the turbo, had it was shipped to Josh Davis @ River City to get modified and all... not the best transaction but I just dropped the issue and waited for my turbo. The modification involved taking the turbine off, machining a new turbine housing, and installing it on the center section and rest of the turbo. Believe me, Craig is going to get a call, email and text on Monday.

#18 ·
It would still EASILY make boost... it was just a crack... it had resistance just less then normal. It's not even as bad as driving around with a blown boot...

#25 ·
marty, i can come jerk a knot in someones arse if need be lmk...

#29 ·
Used a Card through paypal.

Some pictures of the S400 next to the 38R....

#32 ·
the only way to properly diagnose this problem is to take the turbo apart and inspect. The shaft will tell a pretty good story.

Did you pre-lubricate the turbo before installing the main oil feed line?

#34 ·
Put oil in the top just like the hypermax directions said.

I gotta believe if within 200 miles of install the wheel is eating the housing, then you should have witnessed some exessive play before you installed it. It really sounds like that thing got overspeeded when the intercooler let go. No matter how easy you drove it home, that thing still had to be spinning like crazy on the smallest of hills with no backpressure on the compressor side.

The fact that you stated "it will only make 13 psi now" definitely says that you at least hammered on it some once the intercooler was gone. I hope it all works out for you, but I have my doubts that it was fubar before it was installed.

Didn't have to hammer on it to make 13 psi... I just noticed it didn't while going down the road.

The crack seemed to only become existant after 13psi... as if the motor was moving, allowing the intercooler crack to open a little and let the boost escape. It drove absolutely normal with a few PSI. It wasn't like driving with a blown intercooler boot.... the turbo should not have these problems after driving 4 miles at most to the house in the lowest program at less then 5 psi of boost....

I was looking at the turbo just a few minutes ago.... the torque paint on the balanced wheel was moved... I wonder if the nut loosened or something?

#33 ·
I gotta believe if within 200 miles of install the wheel is eating the housing, then you should have witnessed some exessive play before you installed it. It really sounds like that thing got overspeeded when the intercooler let go. No matter how easy you drove it home, that thing still had to be spinning like crazy on the smallest of hills with no backpressure on the compressor side.

The fact that you stated "it will only make 13 psi now" definitely says that you at least hammered on it some once the intercooler was gone. I hope it all works out for you, but I have my doubts that it was fubar before it was installed.

#40 ·
sounds like it was out of balance.
mech2161 said:
When II took mine apart they said a snap ring wasn't seated and pushed out.
lukecline said:
i went through several s300's.
Exactly what I'm getting at... I honestly think there was something wrong with the turbo in the first place.

A turbo isn't going to blow the f up driving with a cracked intercooler that only limits boost within 4 miles. These things are capable of 60-70-80 psi over many many thousands of miles and driving lightly with a boost LEAK, not "NO BOOST" or "No resistance" isn't going to kill it.

I've talked with 3 shops now and each one agree with me after they see the pics and know the story.

I've never complained about anything before this and have always outlayed the CASH to do and fix everything on my truck... This will be no different, but if the machine shop tells me there was a pre-existing problem with the turbo and has proof... then you're damn straight I'm going to attempt to get some money back on the deal since this wasn't my first problem with this turbo from this individual....

#37 ·
When II took mine apart they said a snap ring wasn't seated and pushed out.
Never had it apart to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.