Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

traction

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
how can i get my truck to hook better.. other than doing a 4wd launch??

#2 ·
Why not launch in 4wd unless you are talking on the street?

#4 ·
If it's on the street, then there's not much you can do. It's not practical to hop out of the truck and air down the tires, and I'm pretty sure that your state would frown on driving around with slicks on the back end all the time. So it's either 4wd, or try to control 2wd wheel spin with your right foot.

#9 ·
what about traction bars?

#17 ·
As long as the race doesn't include any turns, great.

:poke:

Otherwise, a tight limited slip is best. Otherwise road racing cars would run lockers, not LSD's.

If you do a good bit of serious four wheeling though, the lockers become much more appealing though, and the LSD loses it's charm in a hurry.

But on the street..... with a tight LSD you'll outrun a guy with a locker hp per hp, because the street isn't a straight line. And flipping on a locker just to plant full power when you want, and then flipping it right back off and doing the one wheel peel through the turns, or when pulling out at an intersection would get old IMO.

#16 ·
Can't go wrong with a good set of traction bars and an ARB air locker. I love my front and rear ARB's. I have farmboy fabrication traction bars and they seemed to help alot.

#18 ·
I agree, if you were going to be in corners you would want to leave it unlocked. But being able to unlock front and back never gets old :D

#20 ·
I wish I had 4.56. I put 4.88's and they are low. I'm hoping when I go up from 35's to 37's it will be better. I like the ARBs but I'm not sure how they will hold up trying to sled pull with them. Any opinions on durability?

#22 ·
I have a detroit locker front and rear w/ 456s 38.5s and FBF bars. The setup has worked great for me on and off road. If I stage on the street @ 5 psi, it will light the tires for about 50-75 feet then hook. If I stage and launch when it just starts to build boost (1-2psi) it seems to hook quicker. I have LS in my EX. I like the locker over the LS over all.

#23 ·
If I just roll out at about 1/8th throttle, let it shift to second let it come up to about 25mph then floor it it will walk a couple hundred feet down the road unless I let it hit 3rd in which case I'll hit the ditch if I don't lift.

That's with the stock 3.73 ratio, 37" tires and a detroit Truetrac. Higher gears make trucks slower, not faster.

If I had 4.56 gears it wouldn't even build any boost until 3rd gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.