Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Still Puking after studs.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Machinist 
#1 ·
Just curious anyone having the same issue ? Some ricer decided to rev his bug noise exhaust at me today, so I gave him a run and stomped him, after returning home noticed some coolant on the fender well not much but just a little I would say I almost gave it full throttle. Just something normal by chance ?

Also the Heads were machined when they were taking off, EGR was welded shut, EGR is not functional I believe. I did the studs over a year ago never had any issues to I got on it hard today any other time I running 3/4 or 1/2 throttle its fine, I just went more this time. It was very little coolant.

#2 ·
i got one doing it too?? ARP studs, NEW heads that we sent out and had decked, factory gaskets, egr delete, coolant recirc kit. and tunes from tadd,

It pukes if you put it in tow power, but if you run in tow torque or tow its fine?

Travis

#3 ·
Mines doin the same thing in its highest tune.

#8 ·
The OEM's are doing surfaces designed for MLS gaskets at 12-18ra on aluminum and International is doing a crappy job with their cast iron work at 28-35. Ford finishes on their 4.6L/5.4L mod motors are great and seal just fine - but International does not seem to be tooled up to put out a finish good enough for the MLS.

I put them in the 12-14 range on aluminum and just a couple points higher on cast iron. I can go as low as 5ra on aluminum but have never needed to. I would say that the highest for proper sealing should be 30 absolute max - Cometic says their gaskets work at 40 or below but I have heard of lots of people having them weep over 30 and if it's leaking coolant at 15lbs or less than I guarantee it's leaking combustion gasses.

Older machines that still use multiple single carbide cutters, or even segmented stone grinders have a very hard time putting out the RA needed because the cutter technology is way behind, but also because the machine itself is not ridgid enough. We use CBN pucks for cast iron, and PCD pucks for aluminum which is the most up to date technology.

The other consideration is that some shops don't have the profiliometer for measuring surface finished so they really don't know where they're coming out at and just by look say it'll be good enough.

#6 ·
Alot of trucks that are modded still burp (a.k.a. puke, makes me feel better about the $ I spent to stop it). The 6.0 is a what, a 230 hp rating from the manufacturer of it? Well apparently this pushes the envelope on some of the systems (cooling being one of them), and injectors really add to this. This is what I did to minimize it -
1 - Replace your resivoir cap. They go bad. Check the mating surface also.
2- Rig up a simple pressure gauge on your puke tank and see what is going on. If you see a big spike, 20ish lbs. + before it releases and you better take a better look at the head gaskets, if it hits in the mid to high teens and releases it is more than likely just overtaxing the cooling system due to the extreme swing in heat from pushing it hard(think about how fast your egt's climb, that radically spikes temps in alot of areas).
3 - Your coolant level, especially with injectors, should be 3/4 of an inch or more below min when cold. Any higher and it will puke, well burp it's way down to where it likes it to be. If that cures it, and it stabilizes with the reduced coolant level it is more than likely o.k..
4 - check the oil temp vs. cooling temp to verify any potential oil cooler probs. No more than 15 deg. difference between the two on a hard run.
5 - Elites tunes work great, but my truck definitely burps more with their tunes than others.

Hope that this helps. I just changed my set-up and while I had it down that far, I pulled my heads to verify there were no probs and to get my heads ported. And finally I would like to add that I am so impressed with my new set-up that I have to give Elite major props. Stage 2's and the VGT-SSX works great. Mad power with a very smooth manners, and the egt control is awesome. It will hold a little over 1000 deg. at full song with no smoke. Very little smoke what so ever (no more blacking out 4 lanes), and I like that.

#7 ·
mine did the same thing i had new heads installed fire ringed studs still puked come to find out my oil temps were WAY to high. new oil cooler and i filled the bottle over the max line and it's still over full 1 year later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.