Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Project IDI flatbed

25K views 100 replies 28 participants last post by  96 stroker 
#1 · (Edited)
Well finally coming together, discovered a good deal on a steel flatbed with a wood floor on craigslist. A russian cowboy told me about it & I went & checked it out. When I saw the shape it was in I had to leave with it, talked about the price alittle & brought her home. It was a hard pull with the 3.55s but the old IDI did it & made it back about 100 miles round trip.
Countryboyrob was my co-pilot on the trip& glad he came along.

So here are some pics-

Cruising along at 65mph with the cruise set-

Yes never washed all the mud off from the other day-

Got back to the house-

The front will meet a cut off wheel tomorrow-

It's a wood bed but the last guy laid down aluim diamond plate over top to dress it up-

Better shot of it-

The underside is CLEAN & the selling point-

More pics to come tomorrow! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be the Russian cowboy who instigated it all :D Garrett, whatcha gonna do about the rear axle? If this bed is 7ft wide your current SRW axle is a bit too narrow for it, you gonna need a DRW axle to put your single wheels on to get the wheels to line up with the bed sides. A cab-chassis dually axle will be your ticked if you want a DRW setup that don't stick out past the bed sides, but you may have to move the spring perches on it to match your frame... Your thoughts on this?

#6 ·
Good to see ya over here Ivan. :ford:
I'm going to run the SRW for alittle while & see how it does. If she is struggling for power it's going back to 4.10 & getting converted to a dually.
Although I want to say that I could make it a dually as it sits with just a rim & tire swap since it's a HD axle with the dually lug studs on it. I know I played with a set of dodge rims but the back spacing was way off. My buddy tried it on his cab & chasses axle & pickup dually axle & it lined up the same.

I'm going out to prep the truck & the bed, hoping to get her done tonight, calling for 2-5" of snow by tomorrow night. :doh:
More pics to come....:D

#3 ·
Ahhh - another Cat project comin.....:doh:

#9 ·
Working alone, Garrett? I could have come to help ya out, but I'm blocked in my the driverway - we tried a quick pads and rotors swap last night on my roommate's Prizm, and ended up shearing the bolts for the driver-side caliper bracket, so now neither of us ain't going nowhere...

#13 ·
Thanks for the offer to help & I would welcome it but with countryboyrob up here we are getting it buttoned up. Hope you get that yota fixed.

Looks nice Gare...if you decide to go back to the 4:10's let me know...I want your 3:55's.!!!
My 3.55's!
LOL Will do & yes thanks for the gears Mike! :D

Now for update pics from yesterday.
Flipped the hangers & shackles back around to handle the load better-

Marked it off & took the grinder to it-

Killed the roybi about 3/4 of the way through :mad:

How it looked when she was cut-

Off I go to the neighbors to get it pulled off by a diesel forklift-

& how it sits right now-

#28 ·
Alright here are some finished pics- (Don't ask why it looks canted for some reason, it's really straight but it's some weird optical illiusion)

Made out own brackets using 3/8" steel plate steel & 1/2" all thread. Clamped it down on some trimmed up wood & took it down a couple bad dirt roads with some big bumps. It's solid enough that you can jack the whole trucks up off the bed.

Need bigger mirrors-

More to follow as progress progresses. :D
May not look like much to alot of people but I'm slowly building my dream work truck. :ford:

#29 ·
some 5 or 6 inch turnouts would look cool.. i like it tho.. some toolboxes and some nice lights and it will look real good

#31 ·
I think I'm just going to locate another 5" miter & run em out side the bed turned outward slightly like this-

I actually missed that look since I've never seen another set of miters setup like that. Might be a good excuse to bring em back. :D

#39 ·
Dually of course, tis a flatbed after all, flatbeds should be duallies :evil

Gare, that headache rack is sort of what I was suggesting, should work out nice.

For the stacks, are you gonna move the bed a bit towards the rear to open up the gap between the cab and the bed for them? You don't want them too close to the cab, cause it'll be only a matter of time till you or a shotgun-rider gets burned on them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.