Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ooops!!! Found my oil leak.

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  CATdiezel 
#1 ·
Well when I fired up the motor Saturday after putting it back in the truck... It took a long time to crank and start and once it did it ran bad and was leaking oil BAD. Well I found out what happens when you tighten the HPOP Reservoir to tight. :doh:

See less See more
#2 ·
I didnt know you could tighten that enough to crack it like that. In fact, I'm not convinced you can. You drop it or something?

#10 ·
Well I will take one tomorrow when I go back to the shop. But it wasnt the one with the filter if thats what your thinking.

#13 ·
You can JB weld it! I did on the pulling truck and it is still holding. Jam some paper towels down in there, take the grinder to it and v-groove it inside and out. Add JB weld in thin layers letting each layer dry. Use the good JB weld not the JB Qwik junk.

Either that or pull the motor and swap covers.

#15 ·
Thanks for the tip. I just got off the phone with Nate and he said to use the good JB Weld also. Didn't even think about grinding a V in it.

#16 ·
15-18 ft.lbs. on them bolts, I just torqued mine on the motor I'm putting together. The Wrong gasket will do that or if you use an impact gun to tighten the bolts lol:poke:

#20 ·
You find someone that can weld Aluminum they could fix that no problem.

Dan

#21 ·
big stroker, can you visually see that crack on the outside of the HPOP reservoir?

#22 ·
I haven't had the time to take the pulleys off the drivers side to look at that angle yet... but i know thats where its leaking

#24 ·
it'd be tricky. it should really be V'd out to get some meat in there. the oil causes a problem too, if it's not all gone, it'll get messy and you won't get good penetration. not to mention, that's an awkward position to work in right there.

If I do believe correctly, that's a cast aluminum piece, which is MUCH harder to get a good weld on than a typical 6061 or so.

i thought i saw that Loctite makes an epoxy that works in oily or greasy environments. i think i saw it at wal mart. might want to check on that too.

#26 ·
I swear I read somewhere a few months back that someone used JB Weld on a cracked front cover and it had held up fine without any leaks. It was on this site, I just forget who it was.

#30 ·
Charles,

That crack gives it character, and gives him a reason to check his E-oil and coolant level more often while "wondering" how the JBweld is doing.

#31 ·
Well I JB welded it... truck is running... No more leak... but its running like piss... not sure what i did wrong. white smoke everywhere and a SES light but i have no way of pulling the code as of right now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.