Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

No kids motorcycles..they are all illegal now!!!

6K views 106 replies 37 participants last post by  bbbxcursion 
#1 ·
Go to any shop,..or any cycle website(Honda, Kawasaki, etc tec )they have all been pulled from the shelves!!!!

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/02/its-now-illegal-to-sell-childr.html

This is ridiculous and needs to be stopped..

When my son turned 5....I bought him a 110cc bike....the law says he can't ride it anymore, because he isn't 12 years old....

screw that,..screw them!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just bikes, or ATVs too?

#78 ·
WTF, how the hell did this get through the cracks. I can't believe honda and KTM let this slide through without doing something.

I have 4 outlawed Hondas in the garage that I probably can't get parts for anymore. I understand the intentions may have been good as pertaining to lead coated toys from china but you have got to be crappin me to lump in dirtbikes and atv's with that BS.

I give up.

#9 ·
thats not good, i've had a lot of fun on the 50's

on a side note, the second pic made me laugh, thats awesome.

#10 ·
From Kawasaki's web site

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, intending to monitor and limit lead content in accessible parts and components in children’s products, took effect Feb. 10, 2009.

As written, this new law includes thousands of products that may never expose children to harmful amounts of lead. Unfortunately, some youth model off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles currently fall into this category. The Kawasaki KX™65 is one of those products.

Industry associations are working to obtain clarification of the Act or its implementing regulations which would permit us to resume selling these youth models. For now, Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. regrets that our dealers cannot sell the affected products starting February 10, 2009.

Comments regarding this regulation should be addressed to your congressional representatives in Washington, D.C. To view the latest information regarding this regulation, visit: http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

#46 ·
hopefully it is only a lead issue, I saw a commercial on T.V. saying if you were involved in a Yamaha rhino roll over you might be eligable for compinsation, Them damn people think they can save us from our selves, libral pieces of S***

#12 ·
Letter Sent. Thanks for informing us of this Tank.

#15 ·
This is BS..... mini bikes and quads now whats next? who gives them the right to say what our kids can and cant do? My son stated riding a predator 50 quad when he was 3.

#16 ·
Just looked on Polaris' website, and they are still advertising the Outlaw 90. I had planned on getting one for my kids.

He bought it private, the thing is mint, barely ridden. Getting parts is going to be a problem. Maybe I'll just continue to have my kids learn on my Sportsman 800 :-}

#18 ·
I sent the letter as well. Thanks Tank for the heads up. This is BS I just bought my kids a xr70 last year I hope I can still get parts for it.

#19 ·
That is absolute BS, I started riding my friends Malaguti (SP) 50 over his house back when we were around 7 or 8 probably, always had 4-wheelers around the house and ride friends dirt bikes growing up. It took me till I was 24 before I got seriously hurt on one lol. People are just flat out retarded, ya wonder why younger generations are just growing up crappier and crappier.

I doubt it would but I wonder if this would affect mini snowmobiles too...

My brother riding around the yard on his 5hp Kitty Kat

#21 ·
Signed and sent Tank. To yours and my congressman. This is freaking bull####. I had a dirtbike, snowmobile, and go cart by age 4 and I didnt have a problem. These freaking idiots like Pelosi need to go

#23 ·
A quote from the local dealer

I just talked to the guy from Just for fun, and the ban is on lead products. In Europe, the standards are half of what ours are. The parts will either have to be remanufactured, or exempt from this list. He feels that they should be exempt because you dont eat your dirtbike.

#25 ·
They are allowed to sell current inventory but thats it

#28 ·
Some misinformation out there.

This provision covers ALL childrens toys, and its not illegal to sell childrens toys, but in order to do so you have to have an independent lab analyse the toy and show that the levels of Lead are within the legal limits. The manufacturers can redesign the bikes and ATVs if needed and get the proper testing and they will then be able to sell them.

There is also a stay on the enforcement for certain toys until the provision can be reviewed.
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr09/stayenforce.pdf

Do your own research, don't just believe everything you read in mailing lists and on forums. Don't be that guy. :mad:

http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/cpsia.HTML

#31 ·
I understand that,....but what you aren't getting is....

The bikes have been pulled from the shelves,....right now,...you can't buy a bike for your kid.

which should be the main concern,....

How long until the motorcycle company recall all the bikes,...and send everything back to R&D to build new bikes under the new law.......most will cry .."we have no money now, we need a bail-out".....

Months,....maybe years...who knows?.....it doesn't matter....because right here,...right now.....I can't go to the local HONDA dealership and buy my son a new bike....I also couldn't buy a new master cylinder for his rear brakes.....because selling parts for those bikes is also illegal.

I see a major problem with that.

#33 ·
Right now everything is on hold until they can provide the manufacturers with clarification of the new laws. Everyone thought the ATV industry would dry up and disappear when they outlawed 3-wheelers. Didn't happen, the industry is stronger now than it has EVER been.

Bail outs may happen regardless. The small toys are NOT that large of a percentage of their business. The fact that people don't have as much disposable income, since their mortgage ATM machine isn't working anymore, is going to hurt the industry. But its not like they are alone in that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.