Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

PREDATOR HUNTERS

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  DieselRangerKid 
#1 ·
Any predator hunters on here? What do you shoot? and what are you using for calls I need to change my game up. Coyote hunting is getting way popular in Utah and making it hard to call predators, any suggestions?:bowfast:

#2 ·
I don't get out there much but my little brother is a master at it and he's old school biggest hillbilly of us all and he grew up in town. He will mainly just wait til it snows a little and go out tracking.

.338 Ultra Mag is his weapon of choice.

He is mainly after cougar but uses bear to hone his skills and just plays with them. He will chase one around and when it trees will get under it and bang on the tree with a stick to get the bear to come down it's f'in crazy to watch.

He was helping out fish and game by going out and dragging the cats out of the trees after they dart them, they brought down some monsters pushing 200lbs. He got one just a couple of weeks back 120 lbs.

#3 ·
Mainly coyotes around here, way too many.At times i will see more coyotes than deer.We are slowly evening out the odds for the deer.

#4 ·
A few times during the course of the winter, several local sportsman's clubs here in the U.P. have predator tournaments. They usually net coyotes, fox, bobcats and such. They typically have prizes of cash, guns or whatever. The local TV station has a outdoor show after the news on Mondays. Typically he does stories featuring each tournament, the winners and bagged varmits.

Discovering with Buck LeVasseur

If you click on the Jan 19 past episode, he has some stuff on one of the local predator hunts.

#6 ·
Its starting to get hard to call them in here too, alot more people doing it, but the bad thing is, alot of people are doing a bad job at it too, and everytime they do, they are just educating the coyotes everytime. I have gone to motion decoys here lately, apparently not many around here use them. And I will say since the use of decoys, for me, has been a big improvement. It seems to make them alot more committed to coming in than with calls only like before. Maybe worth a shot to try. Havent had near as many bobcats around the past few years, foxes too for that matter. and way toooo many d@mn deer. I'm workin on them but retard regs allow me 3 per season, not 3 a day:doh:

#7 ·
BTW use a .17 HMR or 12ga for woods calling, .243 win for the long ranges, Johnny Stewart and primos calls, no electronic calls, also use turkey mouth calls, you can make a really nice raspy cottontail sound, and is good as a coaxer to get them those few extra yds closer, I like using it b/c you can have the gun up as normal and make very little movement, and seems to work pretty good.

#8 ·
After 6 yrs. of calling I finally got a dog to come in to decoy last fall and he was pinned on that thing it was neat. But like you said Ziggy so many hunters that don't know what they are doing.

#10 ·
Where you hunt at do you all own any cattle or hunt on any property that does or near some? If you do, try hunting early spring starting a week or so before the calves start coming out, there is a good chance the yotes will be moving around more, alot of times i've heard they will go for the afterbirth too, not just the calves.
Another thing I see alot that I wanted to point out about people doing it all wrong, is over calling. I would bet that 75% of people i've hunting with call way way too much. Think of calling more like just teasing them. If they are in the hunt mode, a tease will drive them crazy, and if they arent, sometimes calling alot less makes them curious and they come to investigate. Since we dont have but 120 acres here, when yotes are on our property at night i can hear them, and if anyone has every listened to them in the wild, How many times do you hear them for 5 min STRAIGHT? Its just kinda a pet peeve of mine about all the people out there who dont take it serious enough to understand it and do it right, and ruin it for those of us who do. Those coyotes will get as smart as you teach them, the trick is to take em out before they learn too much.
Why kind or style of decoys are you all using? i've got a small motion decoy that i use an actual rabbit fur on. I've heard of some people having some good luck out of a full size coyote decoy, i think the next one I take i'll make a el cheapo mount for the hide and give it a shot.

#9 ·
Coyote huntin is always ablast and a challenge,i use a decoy and sometimes an electric call or mouth call along with a RUGER 22 HORNET or RUGER 22-250.

#11 ·
I use the "Decoy Heart" it doesn't really look like anything just a furball with a tail on a spring loaded, battery operated ball on a stick. I've also heard about using a coyote decoy, makes sense that it would work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.