Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone tried insulating their valve covers for less clatter?

11K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  southmike 
#1 ·
I'll be under the hood this weekend (time to reinstall the BDs, check stud tq, fix front cover leak, and ceramic coat the turbine housing) and I was considering ways to quiet the truck down a bit more.

Anyone considered maybe coating the valve covers w/ bedliner or something else to reduce that valve train and injector clatter?

Thanks.

#5 ·
I can't see Dynomat lasting very long in all there with all that heat and oil! I'm sure it would help if applied to the outside of the covers. In the end I think you will find that much of the engine noise resonates from all over and a reduction in noise from the valve covers won't make much difference.

#9 ·
Spray the inside of the covers with foam sealer. Put saran wrap over the rockers and injectors. Place VC's in place and allow to harden. Remove, take off plastic, reinstall.

#11 ·
Elemental Designs makes a sound deadener that's a semi-liquid form. more like snot. and it's sky blue in color. i did that throughout my cab under the floor liner. you could try that and then paint it black. you'll probably get more sound deadening from that than a spray on bed liner type.

#14 ·
there was one guy that put some kind of dynomat like stuff on the covers..not sure if it was on the out side or not..seems like the heat would melt the adheasive to me...

and while the foam idea allows for some clearance it doesn't allow for the rockers moving. they also have fire resistant foams as well ..but not sure that is the answer either.
best bet is dyno mat the cab twice, add the door seal mod, excusion hush pannels, and the snow man mod ...

#23 ·
Spray foam FTW!!

Being serious though, I put dynamat on the OUTSIDE of my valve covers (two layers, in fact) and it stayed on there for the 7 or 8 years that it was on them with no problems, and it helped quite a bit. All you have to do is make sure that the valve covers are perfectly clean and press the dynamat on hard with at roller. I put new valve covers on when I did the new motor without dynamat, because the painted valve covers are much sexier, and I noticed more noise.

And btw.... the inside of my hood is actually filled with spray foam LOL. I'm not joking. It's *******, but it does help with the noise.

#30 ·
fill the upper rails just ahead of the fire wall on both sides, it make a huge difference in the noise level. Theres lots of hole to spry it in, just tape the big ones so it does,nt run out and fill.

Dan

#32 ·
In all seriousness Sun, drop the timing. You can make the tires the only thing you'll hear if you're into that sort of thing. You can drop most of the noise by reducing a combo of timing and ICP without killing yourself on efficiency (milage). And depending on where you stand now, you might actually be better off if it's a little over advanced now.

#33 ·
The truck is pretty smooth and quiet right now as it is but I like to mess w/ stuff and since the valve covers were going to be off anyways I figured it would give me a way to kill a couple of hours.

I like to just hear a breeze outside and the sweet whine of the turbo.

I'm going to check the temp rating on some paint on bed liner at the auto parts store.

#39 ·
dang nice work on both..
what other options besides stock filler necks are there..
I have seen pics of one guy that had a billet looking cap but never saw them for sale...I believe his was an ebay deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.