Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What kinda chip or programmer?

7K views 86 replies 20 participants last post by  JohnDeere9610 
#1 ·
I am about to purchase a 1999 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 in it and Iwas wondering what is the best programmer or chip to use to get the best performance out of it?

#3 ·
DP Tuner (Jody) is a great one, as is Tony Wildman... Tadd at Elite Diesel is good as well...

Any chip programer is going to make you very happy...

But go with a chip, not a programer.

#4 ·
Loved my Diesel Innovations chip on the orange truck.

#7 ·
Chip allows you to switch on the fly! It's really great compared to loading and unloading programs from your PCM. You can get almost anything that's on a chip onto a programmer, but it costs about the same so if you have the option of having 6-12 different programs at the flip of a switch, why wouldn't you?

#10 ·
Plus it is the prefered method of most of the popular tuners that specialize in 7.3's.

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm relatively new to this and have many questions.
In my 01 F350 7.3PSD, I was getting about 13mpg. I bought an Edge evolution programmer and raised that to an impressive 20mpg +/-.
This came about using the #1 position (tow).
I also have a 6637 mod and Zoodad. Soon to have 4" turbo back.
I don't mind changing if I can keep the milage.
any input.
BTW, I am just learning how to post, so please bear with me and let me know if I screw up.
Thanks

#13 ·
Yup. Pretty sure DP does, not sure about most of the others. Still don't know why anyone would though. :shrug:

#15 ·
ut can't they load the same tunes onto an SCT??? Just wondering...
Some places offer that, but you are limited to only 3 tunes, and it's not quite shift on the fly like a regular chip. Plus, some folks just flat out don't like digital gauges.

#17 ·
Thank you guys for all your help...I believe I will be goin with the Tony Wildman 4 Stage chip.... Have heard alot of good things before today about this chip...but again thank you guys for all the help.. Hope I can get the truck and get this hooked up and be happy with it...

#22 ·
See thats why I am asking I didnt know that...I figured I would ask people that have Fords compaired to asking places that just sell them and alot of times around here people behind the counter have never drove a truck with them on there...SO I do appricate your help on here...I am still NOT 100% on what I will be purchasing... I know I'd like some more power and some more smoke..lol

#28 ·
Again, I don't want to hyjack, however, I can't seem to figure out how to start a new thread ie, ask a question without jumping in on someone elses thread.
Can anyone give me a heads up. Also, someone said I need to finish my signature. What do I need to do.
Sorry for the sniveling, but I am trying to learn.

#30 ·
I like the DP-Tuner F5. 15 tunes and at the push of a button. If I want anything else, it will be the F6 where I can download the tunes WITHOUT sending it back to Jody. Everyone else is still using the rotary dial switch that DP-tuner used before the F5 came along. 2 generations behind technology.

#44 ·
I switch tunes a good bit...

Starting in the A.M., going down different roads, different speeds, cruising, passing, and god knows why else... I know I go between all 4 of my commonly used positions at least twice but DEFINATELY a lot more than that. And now that I'm familiar with how each tune feels, I can switch at any time, dark, light, raining, snowing.... whatever....

#45 ·
I leave mine in 80E all the time. When I want to smoke someone, a push on the right button makes the 140 Aggressive come on. When I am towing, either it is 40Tow if I am at high altitudes over 6000 feet or 60 Tow for all else. Like I said, I don't go from 0 to 8000 feet in 3 seconds so I don't have to switch that fast. If it is really cold, I hold the left button for a few seconds and it goes back to position 1 which is stock tune for a start. One more right push and it is in high idle.

#46 ·
My F5 would flip back to pos 1 when you were trying to get to adjust it to a higher program time to time. Not to mention it was easy to go past the # you were trying to get into.
Then there is the issue of it messing up the radio. Since I went to the old knob chip I can actually get in stations that wouldn't come in before.
Another member had problems with his truck dieing when he turned on his headlights with HIDs. Switched out the F5 & went to the old knob chip & no issues since. Don't just blaim it on the HIDs either because if that chip was bothered by HIDs think about what a high powered CB would do.

Like I said I ran the F5 for awhile & it was alright & worked but I like the old knob better. Same reason I like analog over digital gauges.

#48 ·
That is weird. I don't have any of those issues. I even installed HIDs but my ballast is behind the light housings. My wire runs from the PCM to the power port near the passenger side which is where my adjuster is.

#47 ·
I like my old outdated rotary knob. Odd part is, the performance is the exact same with my chip as your F-5(6) chip. The other odd part is, I don't have to send my chip anywhere for a reprogram either. I can do it right from my laptop. So that throws the not sending the chip in perk out the window, throws any more performance out the window also. Oh and its nice to know the what exact position I am in while switching tunes. Sorry, you are a dumbass to sit there and argue that feeling and hearing the click is a less sure way to know what tune you are in then pressing a little button.

#49 ·
Odd part is, the performance is the exact same with my chip as your F-5(6) chip.

The other odd part is, I don't have to send my chip anywhere for a reprogram either. I can do it right from my laptop. So that throws the not sending the chip in perk out the window, throws any more performance out the window also.

Oh and its nice to know the what exact position I am in while switching tunes. Sorry, you are a dumbass to sit there and argue that feeling and hearing the click is a less sure way to know what tune you are in then pressing a little button.
Program is the same, why shouldn't the performance be the same?

How did you do it from the laptop? Do you have to have some sort of interface and program or does it have some port to do that?

I don't think I am arguing that it is more sure or less sure. I am just saying that I don't seem to have a problem knowing what position I am in with what I am doing. Like I said, if I want t smoke someone, a right button push will do that. I don't suddenly get a huge trailer and have to immediately switch from 80E to 60T. Now if I had to change tunes every few minutes, maybe I might notice some difference. I am comparing it to say my other twist switches in the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.