Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New California Emissions

14K views 128 replies 53 participants last post by  kainers 
#1 ·
#2 ·
ew that sux. Get out now before that stupid state falls off the US and sinks at least thats what i hope happens to it.

#3 ·
That sux what you gona do?

#6 ·
Those of you who think you are safe from this need to understand something. California leads the way on these things, and the fed usually follows. Given the new influence the environmentalists have in government now it's more than likely that the aggressive emissions laws and testing WILL become federal laws. If you think you can escape this, your wrong.

#5 ·
DAMN. They were talking about testing, but only for collecting data not for violations. Might be a good idea to start discussing things we can do to get the performance we want and need and still be legal.

I don't know if my exhaust is legal, but I would imagine my turbo and programming is NOT legal.

#8 ·
I have heard from a friend that owns an inspection station here, that if they ever do start inspecting Diesels for anything other than safety, it will just be a check engine light thing. No codes, good to go.

#10 ·
maryland has no insp. at all!! just when you buy it, its a vigerous(sp) one, then NOTHING after that as long as you own it

#12 ·
their is a little hope

What if a diesel retrofit is not available or can not be safely installed for a particular vehicle?
If a vehicle cannot be safely equipped with the highest level verified PM exhaust retrofit, the fleet owner may request a one-year extension of the PM compliance deadline. The owner would have to provide documentation to support its claims.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/truckruleoverview.pdf

#14 ·
(a) Purpose.
The purpose of this regulation is to reduce emissions of diesel particulate matter (PM),
oxides of nitrogen and other criteria pollutants, and greenhouse gases from in-use
diesel-fueled vehicles.
(b) Scope and Applicability.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (c), this regulation applies to any person,
business, federal government agency, school district or school transportation
provider that owns or operates, leases, or rents, affected vehicles that operate in
California. The regulation also applies to persons that sell affected vehicles in
California. Affected vehicles are those that operate on diesel-fuel, dual-fuel, or
alternative diesel-fuel that are registered to be driven on public highways, were
originally designed to be driven on public highways whether or not they are
registered, yard trucks with off-road engines, both engines of two engine
sweepers, schoolbuses, and have a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating
(GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds. Affected vehicles also include shuttle
vehicles defined in section 2025(d)(63).

#16 ·
Andrew - What mistake?

Here's part of what it says as pertaining to us:

"Overview of AB 1488
Estimated diesel vehicle population subject to the Smog Check Program for calendar year 2010 is 540,000 vehicles.

AB 1488 requires:

Model year 1998 and newer diesel-powered vehicles under 14,000 lbs GVWR to be included in the Smog Check Program
Inspections for change of vehicle ownership
Inspection of "Out of State" vehicles
Testing to begin in January 2010
Statewide implementation of diesel testing
ARB/BAR to develop inspection procedures "

#18 ·
I found this part funny:

Some participants raised concerns about exposure to diesel PM. The BAR always looks for ways to minimize the length of time a vehicle has to run during an inspection. The only time the engine will have to run during the diesel inspection is during the visible smoke test
and this part a little concerning:

Industry participants estimated that 50% of the diesel vehicles they currently service have been modified with aftermarket devices, oversized tires, etc. The ARB indicated that they cannot control tires, but Smog Check technicians will be required to fail vehicles with modified emission control equipment that have not been approved by the ARB. Approved devices will have a label with an ARB Executive Order number on it.

#19 ·
"Industry participants estimated that 50% of the diesel vehicles they currently service have been modified with aftermarket devices, oversized tires, etc. The ARB indicated that they cannot control tires, but Smog Check technicians will be required to fail vehicles with modified emission control equipment that have not been approved by the ARB. Approved devices will have a label with an ARB Executive Order number on it."

Yep...this part is just flat out scary.

I'm setting up my '03 to run as clean as possible while making decent power. It will not smoke, and it will get superior mpg to stock 7.3L. However, nothing on it has a CARB sticker. So I guess that means that my truck will automatically fail even if it is more evironmentally friendly than a stock vehicle.

#24 ·
Yep...this part is just flat out scary.

I'm setting up my '03 to run as clean as possible while making decent power. It will not smoke, and it will get superior mpg to stock 7.3L. However, nothing on it has a CARB sticker. So I guess that means that my truck will automatically fail even if it is more evironmentally friendly than a stock vehicle.
Thats what pisses me off about the EPA/CARB in general and its laws. They have little interest in reducing emissions, its all about complying with THEIR ideal of how a vehicle is configured and used. The underlying motivation in this is to legislate everyone out of vehicles they want and into only the select few vehicles they approve of.

Cracks me up how many ignorant people hate on California. :blah:

#21 ·
This is what gets me.... who cares what is under the hood or done to the truck. If the truck is under the maximum allowed emissions for that year model AT THE TAILPIPE who gives a crap what what was done to it!

California needs to wake up. An aftermarket intake on a 7.3 can only help emissions! There is no mass air meter to throw off so they can't say someone is tampering with emissions sensors, it only lets more air in the engine for less smoke than the stock setup under the same conditions. Before California writes new laws maybe they should get somebody on their board that knows what the hell they are talking about and not just give stupid blanket statements to help create their closed-hood policies they really want. IF they enact such laws they should allow for a certification of parts that were available before these regulations. This way companies like AFE can certify parts that were sold pre-CARB and tag them legal.

#25 ·
So back on topic, are there any diesel aftermarket parts that actually comply with CARB/EPA, besides anything from Banks?

#27 ·
Um, I've never had my truck inspected other than one initial time to verify the VIN? Nothing else. Re-register in the mail with nobody actually seeing the vehicle in person. Works for us and I live only 10 miles from Kalifornia.

#29 ·
:whs:

Actually I was born in California. Glad my Dad got tired of the crap back in 1971 and we moved out. California is a great place to be from, a long way away from.

#36 ·
I don't know how yalls inspections are done, but ours are done by shops that really could care less about the inspections. They have real work to do. I pay them for the sticker, they scrape off the old one and put on the new one. Maybe with the new laws the government will carry out the inspections...

:doh: Now I'll have to put the sticker on the winshield myself.

#37 ·
the documentation states that there will be 3 parts:visual, OBD, and smoke..

it won't be hard to find an inspection station employee that has no idea what he's looking at...if you don't have a CEL set, and aren't blowing alot of smoke, you should be fine..

also states that as of now, OBDII/CAN systems can't be tested...that's every 6.0l out there..

without an opacity meter(which aren't mandated), you're left to the subjective opinion of the tester about smoke...nothing but problems with that scenario..that won't fly...

we have diesel testing in NV..it's done on a dyno and a visual equipment inpection is also reqired(CAT in place)...the test is a joke...i've seen vehicles which are certain violators pass without problems...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.