Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anti-Freeze in Oil HELP

24K views 195 replies 33 participants last post by  TPM 
#1 ·
Ok just checked my oil... and yup there is anti freeze in there.

Please help me what caused this and how do i fix it

#3 ·
What am i looking for? how can i tell if it is bad or not?

The truck is running fine just losing anti freeze into the oil

#4 ·
If you look on the side of the motor it looks like a pringles potato chip can turned sideways :shrug: I don't know how else to describe it.....

:drool: mmmm pringles....... Yes, I'm hungry.

Anyway, theres replaceable orings that seal the "can" to the end caps and it should fix you right up.
JIM

#5 ·
so i just have to replace the o-rings in there

And can i drive it 2 miles to the shop where i work on my stuff?

And will i have to change the oil a few time?

#6 ·
How bad is it?? Do you have gunk build up under your oil cap? Does your oil look like chocolate milk?? because everything in that motor uses that oil, Injectors, HPOP, IPR, ICP, bearings etc. etc. and the more it gunks up the harder it is to get out of the heads and misc parts. Now this is just my humble opinion but if its only 2 miles, I'd be calling a friend to tow me down or it would be worth the 50$ tow bill.
JIM

#7 ·
no prob i will have dad tow me down there tomorrow to bad its a dodge (Work pays for it or it would be a ford) i will feel like crap the whole time he is pulling me tho

Is there any thing i should know or is it pretty simple ?

#8 ·
It's not the easiest thing in the world to pull apart, another thing to consider that it might be a bad cooler. I'm unsure of a way to test them and maybe someone has a "trick" to that, but a new cooler is about 150 bucks plus core if I remember but that does not include the end caps. I'm at work and I don't have my Manuel with me or I could look it up for ya.
JIM

#9 ·
I've never seen coolant in the oil from a bad oil cooler. Usually the opposite. Oil in coolant.

The oil pressure is (nearly) always higher than the coolant pressure...so if the oil cooler is bad...then the oil will push its way through the "bad" o-rings on the cooler into the coolant.

Coolant in the oil is typically a head gasket failure.

and noting your other thread (white smoke @ idle, & coolant loss)...supports a probable head gasket failure.

You could do a fair bit of diagnostics OR you can change the oil cooler, but if the symptoms persist...I would be looking at the head gaskets.

take care~

Dave

#11 ·
The truck still runs perfect and its more of a blue smoke now. I don't really know how i would blow a head gasket i dont run the truck that hard.

But I will change the oil cooler 1st since that is the cheapest to go with then head gasket.

How would i tell if its head gasket or not?

#10 ·
Well im just going to get a new oil cooler and put on there... Where would the best place to get a new one. From the International dealer ?

#12 ·
pressureize the cooler to see if thats where your leak is comming from or just the orings. take some 3in hose with some freeze plugs or anything 3in. block one end off hook the other end up to a coolant pressure tester,fill the cooler though one of the holes on either end pump it up and look for bubbles through the hole you put water in.... hope this helps kyle

#14 ·
Would it be better for me

1. pull the motor
2. pull the cab
3. leave the motor

and do you think i need to install head studs?

Where would i get a gauge to check compresstion to see if this is what my problem is?

#15 ·
I'm thinking it's going to be more along the lines of a head gasket or injector cup.
You need to pressurize the coolant system and see if it holds or loses pressure.
Mine ended up being the drivers side head gasket.
You can remove the heads with the motor in the truck.
You can check out my Webshots album. I have pics there from when I removed my heads with the motor still in.

#16 ·
Dave is correct on the transfer of fluids. The one with the most pressure will contaminate the system with a lower pressuer. I don't think it's the cooler but when you shut it off the cooling system will retain some pressure and could go the other way. Have you noticed any oil in theoverflow tank??

Glen

#19 ·
You can pull the head with the motor in. I did it a few weeks ago. Took about 2 hrs or so and had the head off.

Now you just need to figure out which side, or if it were me, maybe just replace both sides.

On a side note, someone suggested injector cup. Typically if its an injector cup, you'll get oil in coolant and see a layer of oil in your coolant resivour.

#20 ·
No Duramax towing me as long as I have AAA!!!!

#21 ·
When I got towed by AAA, it was a Chevy tow truck.

BTW, my truck gave his a major work out.

#29 ·
How do i do that and what kind of tools do i need to do it? I dont have all kinds of money to run out and buy tools.

#32 ·
to do a leak down test you will need to have the GP adapter, air compressor and a dual gauge or single gauge tester. Bring a cylinder up to TDC on the compression stroke. Attatch the tester and start pressurizing the cylinder. A dual gauge will show you how much air is going in and how much the cylinder is losing. If the head gasket is blown the escaping air will start to pressurize the coolant system. you will have to test each cylinder to find the bad one. Here is a picture of what a dual gauge tester looks like.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...=SUM-900010&N=700+4294854847+115&autoview=sku

#40 ·
:whs:

If you crack a block with stock injectors, you've accomplished something.

And pulling the heads with the engine and cab on isn't bad...a couple hours to get one off. You're gonna spend a lot of time laying on the front and side of the truck, but it's not bad.

#46 ·
the DI RR hasn't got anything to do with it. Does it still blow white smoke? How fast do you lose antifreeze? If you refill the degas bottle with water and leave the oil drain plug out does water come out of the oil drain plug?

#47 ·
:whs:
get you a pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.