Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 vs V10

33K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  pappy19 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any input on the 1999 V10 Good or Bad?
I have a 2001 7.3 and im thinking of buying a 1999 V10 and i was wondering if anyone had and type of input as far as mileage or how the V10 tow's compared to the 7.3 or anything else yall may want to add

#5 ·
The bad things about 99 v10s are bad oil pumps:doh:. And the very restrictive manifold(that crack) and Y pipe. And the 99's are only 235HP You are prob better of w a 00(265hp) or newer to get away from the oil pump issue. But they still have the restrictive manifolds and Y pipe. If you go 05 0r newer(365hp) they run like a scolded dog and are very reliable.

for power for towing they do pretty good.(05 and newer) Depends on what you tow and how often.

I'm sure someone is going to yell at me for this but a stock(o5 and newer) will smoke a stock 7.3

Newest v10s can get as high as 15 mpg(highway) Which isnt too bad when you think about the power and when gas is at least $1.00 a gallon less than diesel

#6 ·
If you don't plan on doing alot of heavy pulling then they're ok, but if your thinking of buying this for a tow rig, you need to get a diesel.

#7 ·
Yeah, there were more V-10's installed in C-class motor homes then all other engines from all 3 auto companies combined. The V-10 is one tough engine that tows just fine. Yes, the 99 had a few problems, mostly with restrictive exhaust/Y-pipe and blowing spark plugs. That was fixed totally in 2002 and the HP was upped to a 365 in 2006 to present. With adding the new Ford Torqueshift tranny, the V-10 is tough to beat when matched with the right rear end ratio. It will give the new diesels a run for their money and beat most of them. In the Truck Trend mag a few months ago, where they tested all 3 auto maker diesels and all 3 gassers, the Ford V-10 was rated the best gasser and the comment was "it is as close to being a diesel rig as any gasser could be."

#9 ·
I owned a 99 I did an intake and exhaust It had a 5-speed as well It wasn't bad on gas 15-17 at 65mph. But I went back to the ol' 460 that would run this truck into the ground with similar mods at 10 mpg though. But I fell in love with my 7.3 when I test drove and sent the 460 down the road. Needless to say the 7.3 would stomp the V10 LOADED or EMPTY.

#10 ·
thanks everyone for yr replies and thanks slowleak for pointing out the yr i was looking at, the only reason that yr is important is i was concerding trading my 7.3 for a 99 V10 and i dont know sh1t about them...I hate to get rid of my diesel but fuel prices have got me so frustraded...... and my 7.3 mpg sucks..........

#11 ·
A good tune and a air intake should up your milage quit a bit. Dad's 01 (4x4 ext cab 8' bed 6 speed 3.73 gear) gets around 19-21 mpg running @75mph. That truck is similar to yours so your results will probably be similar.
Real trucks dont have sparkplugs!

#12 ·
You dont want a v10 no matter what year the mileage sucks. My old employer had a 99 got 10 mpg highway on average. My buddy just got an 07 10.2 mpg is the best hes gotten out of it so far and thats babying it

#14 ·
I did the math a couple weeks ago towing 7k at 60-65 i got 10mpg
And then again on a tank without towing anything 75%highway and 25%city
And got 11.. Ive had this truck since new and its running fine great power just no mps's

#15 ·
The wife has a 2000 lifted excursion w/ headers , some air intake upgrade,throttle body . 3.73 LS rears.
When she wanted one I brought home several 7.3 's from the local dealer ,
finally she went with me and she jumped in the gasser tromped on it and that is the one she had to have (i think it was the color).
Nope , she dont tow , dont really haul heavy , but she can take a half a dozen kids snow boarding and stop at super wal-mart on the way home and still have room.
When we drive on vacation I get the chance to run it and I like it .

#19 ·
It's a 2008, Supercab, shortbed, 4.10 rear, automatic, V-10. I get an average during the summer, of 11.6 around town and going from my house to Boise which is 50 miles of curves and hills. Towing heavy, I have never gotten below 9.0 and seems to hover around 9.5 no matter what the terrain is. I have added the Diablosport Predator and have it set on the middle, 91 octane position, and added the Air Raid intake system. A total of $600 in mods. I have had this setup for almost all of my 30k on the truck. Runs like a top and I wouldn't change anything.

#18 ·
i disagree on tunes and exhaust always helping mpg.......i have a and exhaust and a mild tune and drivin' nice all i can ever break in 13.8mpg:mad:

#22 ·
I just based this off of all the trucks I've had. 1997 cclb 80horse chip and 3 inch dp, picked up 1.5 mpg. 2001 dodge ram 3500 4x4 6 speed 11,500pds 4.10 gears edge box avg 20.8mpg stock mpg 15. 1996 cclb 4x4 35's, 530 hybrids big oil trans air intake fuel system 3.55 gears 19.5 mpg stock 15. I guess I should have said "results will vary":doh:

#20 ·
My uncle just bought a 2008 CC short bed V-10 with 4.10 rear about 2 weeks ago. he just took a 400 mile hunting trip out to iowa and he averaged about 12.0mpg. havnt had it long enough to tow anything around the farm yet.

#23 ·
If you're only getting 12 or 13 mpg out of a SRW 7.3 then you have something wrong with it. My truck in sig on a bad day will get 17mpg(with a strong headwind). Normally I am in the 19-20mpg range. I have on occasion achieved 23.5 mpg while babying it a lot. Fathers 99 7.3 gets 19mpg all day long @ 75mph with 305,000 miles on it. Brothers stock 2004 6.0 gets 18-20 no matter how you drive it. Nobody that I know with a 7.3 gets below 17mpg unless they are towing really heavy or hot rodding around. A V10 can't touch a properly running diesel in the mpg department.
I agree the new V10's make good power, but I haven't seen one yet that's turning out almost 700 lb ft of torque and still get 20mpg like my 12 year old truck does.

#25 ·
We run a fleet of v-10's where i work (my boss is a retard) and all of them live under 24-32 foot flatbed gooseneck trailers. We never haul less than 15,000lb and in my opinion they suck. They will run 70-80 on the flats but as soon as you hit a hill you better get out and help push. Our mileage runs between 4.2 and 5.8. I've offered to race my boss pulling ( did I mention he's a retard) with my 96 psd but he wont take me up on it. Oh ya and at 100,000 plan on a new motor. The best i've seen so far as about 113,000 before they blow. I know first hand, I'm workin on blowin up my third one rite now.

#26 ·
Well maybe your boss is a retard depending on the way he has his V-10's set up. If you all are hauling what you say, then he should have adjusted the rearend ratio to make up the difference. If you look at all of the motor homes and C class vehicles with V-10's and look at the number of complaints versus the number of diesel engine complaints, there is no comparison, the diesel engines are dead last for TSB's. Yes, my 2002 7.3 hopped up to the max would consistantly get 16-18 mpg depending on my foot, no argument there. And, that 7.3 had plenty of poop, I'd guess close to 400 hp when I sold it. BUT, when you look at an occasional tower, even at max, and include the difference in fuel cost and maintenance issues, the new V-10 is one hell of an engine to do most anything it is asked to do. I would not change my decision to order my 2008 from a 6.4 diesel to a V-10 gasser, as my "gas and go" is a real winner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.