Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Got some mods. Comments?

8K views 81 replies 20 participants last post by  RedSmokey 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. First post out of the newbie section. I've got some stuff I've done to my baby and figured I'd get some comments. Just one thing. I know.... DP Tuner. Right got it. Not gettin rid of my edge. I know Dp's better but I'm not a puller or a racer and my edge works just fine. I just want a nice truck with some b@lls. Any cheap ideas (Besides the 3.9k or 10k mods) would be great or some comments on what I already have. I'll put in a picture of it and a signature with all this when I can figure out how. Thanks in advance.

Late 99.5 Powerstroke
automatic
Crew cab
4x4
grille guard
infinity speakers
Edge juice with attitude
K&N intake
ebpv delete
Hutched and harpooned
bully dog shift kit
BD performance x wheel compressor wheel
DieselSite.com's performance wastegate
4" TBexhaust (No stacks)

gooseneck hitch
17" BF goodrich t/a's with American Racing Rims

Debating on methanol inject
wanting aero air foil muffler
Ordered HPoil crossover line

See less See more
#3 ·
Well if you want more that you have now. Your pretty much down to adding more fuel (injectors), aftermarket turbo, or a real chip. There isn't any cheap power adders that will yield you more power.

Like Mike said you can add a reg return or perhaps a high pressure cross-over line. But to get more power...

Cheapest thing you can do it get rid of the Edge you are so fond of..

#6 ·
He has a Edge Attitude. Which is a monitor.. It has egt probe etc.. I had it before I decided to see the light..

#8 ·
just the resistor mods you mentioned.Thats about it.

#9 ·
The resistor mod shouldn't do much with the Edge Juice. It already is a resistor mod.

#10 ·
I highy recommend a chip..... the other thing about your edge is the fact that your PCM (engine computer) isn't aware that you are making extra power since you are "fooling" your ICP sensor into putting more fuel in. This will cause premature transmission wear.

A properly programmed chip will increase shift firmness to hold that extra power and there is a good power increase with a chip over your juice module. Edge is popular because it is easy to install and has good advertising. Once you get a real program on your truck though, the difference will be night and day!

#11 ·
No resistor mods. Thanks anyway. It's not that I'm so fond of it. I just don't want to throw away the money I paid for it so quick. I like the monitor too. Ok. How much is a dp and how do I go about getting it. Geez. My wife is going to kill me now!:doh: Oh and what's a tymar, How do I make it, And why is it better than a k&n?

Thanks.

#12 ·
DP tuner isnt too expensive. The f-5 chip w/ switch is 239, then just 45 a tune, and i think they are still having christmas sale too. The tymar/DIY best or most common one is a Napa 6637 filter. Just need to buy the 6637 filter, a couple inches of 4" exhaust, and a clamp to clamp the 6637 filter on that piece of exhaust, pull your filter and top piece of the box off the truck and shove the other end of the exhaust pipe where the filter box connected to.

On Edit: DIY is better filteration and air flow from everything iv read...

#13 ·
So if you really like the Edge here is an idea.
Sell in on Ebay and go to Power Hungry Performance and buy a Gryphon from them. The edge Attitude with juice seem to hold their value well even when used, and you will probably "lose" 100 to 200 bucks but not a total lose because now you will be able to get much better performance.

It looks like the Attitude but is black.
It will still monitor everything you need to like the Edge but you can get 3 custom programs that are going to be very similar to DP tuner.

Heck they might be able to upgrade your Attitude for a little more money too and then you could just sell the juice on ebay, call them and see what they can do.

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services139.com/php/Ford_73L_Power_Stroke_Diesels.html
Tim

#14 ·
Ok. What about stacking them both? Can I do that?

#16 ·
Stacking doesn't work on the Powerstroke 7.3l because a chip over rides a programmer.

#15 ·
Oh. One more thing. About the injectors and all that. I don't have the money for a garrett bb turbo but is there like a kit to rebuild my injectors for less money or do I just need to shim my regulator for more pressure or maybe a bigger fuel pump? Any thoughts on that?

#18 ·
Now the diy for the injectors I would really be interested in. Who does that? I'd do that probably before the dp tuner. But yes I'll maul that one over too. By the way where do I go for those? Who's this jody person? I have an x-wheel. Same thing as a wicked wheel.

#19 ·
Jody is the owner of DP-tuner. And I am not sure how the truck will run with bigger injectors and the Edge. Most people need/want custom tuning to make the truck run correctly with bigger or single shot injectors.

#21 ·
single shot? As far as I know mine are stock split shots. I like the injector upgrade idea and after I do that I'll get a tuner. I just need to find out who makes maybe a diy rebuild kit for them? And do I need a regulator shim or a new injector pump. Maybe a 100gph? Then I'll do the tuner

#23 ·
Yes your truck would have split shots factory. But if your going to build some injectors you may consider single shots. They take less HPO to run. Which would require custom tuning...

#22 ·
Rosewood diesel makes diy kits for your injectors. I did my own Build on 530 hybrids, and it was pretty easy. Just follow the directions exactly and you shoud be fine. Make sure you get the injectors flowed before you install them,and if I remember correctly you have to get your truck reprogrammed to run the injectors:fordoval:

#24 ·
Wich takes me back to my origional question. Single shots? What's the difference? I like the diy way better than anything. Now as far as doing that and having to have it reprogrammed to run those 530 injectors can I just have that done when(if) I get a DP? Or do I have to get ford to do it?

#25 ·
Tony or jodi should be able to do you a program on thier tuners. You have to get a program to run those injectors as far as i know. A chip is the only way to run them as far as i know

#26 ·
Ok. Do I need a new regulator or shims once I do it?

#29 ·
No you don't have to do anything with fuel. However more fuel will be helpful. You may want a larger fuel pump long term.

#27 ·
Whoever you get to do the tuning should have all your icp pressures where they need to be,so you should just have to plug in the chip and be good to go:rockwoot:

#28 ·
Also,don't forget about Bill at PHP for some custom tunes.:ford:

#30 ·
Easy now. I'm not racing or pulling or anything like that. I'm just wanting a little extra power to whipe the smile off a little rice burner once in a while. I don't need really the custom tunes and all that. I like the dp tuner idea. That's all good. And the injector idea if it's not too terribly expensive. I just have to sell my edge first.... On the other hand I am lookin at a Snow Performance water/methanol injector. That would be cool.:shrug:I just don't know what to do. Oh well. We'll see what happens.

So to sum up thus far..

Lose the edge for a DP
Injector upgrade diy kit
tymar

Do I need anything to go with these to make them work?

#31 ·
www.dp-tuner.com is the website for dp tuner you can order directly from them or from a few of the site sponsors, like. www.itpdiesel.com

as for the tymar filter, the reason its better than a KN is it will flow more air, and KN filters are oiled, excess oil gets into the intake coats the wheels of the turbo and can cause extra heat in the turbo as well as leaving a sticky coat for whatever makes it past the filter to stick too rather than going into the engine getting burnt and pushed out it sits on the turbo wheel and eats away at the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.