p0603 pcm processor keep live memory - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke - Aftermarket & Performance
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:11 PM
retired1
Member's Gallery

p0603 pcm processor keep live memory

hello i am new to the diesel truck stuff. i have a problem and hope one of you guys can help, this is my situation.

this is what i bought, a 2002 f350 4x4 with a 7.3. i bought it from my friends family. he passed away and they offered it to me for a great price. this is what it came with. 6 inch skyjaker lift and 35 inch tires. it had 4 inch exhaust a chip that i dont know who makes it. a boost and pyro gauge in a tower setup. it has 102000 miles on it. the truck was always maintained and my buddy was into gettin into the throttle when he wanted. it sat for about 5 months from june till october of this year. it started first turn and i drived it down the road and no problems.

i got it home and cleeaned it in and out. truck was dirty. it came out great. now some one told me to be running it to use up the fuel cause it sat. ok i did this and ran it out of fuel. filled it with ten gallons and it started up no problems. now i go to get the tank filled and it startes to sputer and felt like it was dieing. i got it to the station and filled it. i called a diesel owning friend and he said that from sitting diesel grows algie. he advised me to change the fuel filter asap. so i drove it home and went and got the stuff. changed the fuel filter and did a oil change also. started the truck and took it down the road. tons of balls. no sputter.

now i order a afe stage 2 intake with the level 7 filter. put it on no problems and the thing really woke up. still no problems. the single 4 inch exhaust had some rust holes and needed to be replaced. so i ordered the banks monster duals with the power elbow. took me a hole day to do myself. was a pain in the butt to install but it looks great.
now i start it and it started a little funny. i let it warm up it idled and took the peddle down in park no problem. sounded great reved fast. now i pull out just start to give it gas and it starts to stutter not takin the gas and actually stalled. took the foot of and floored it and it came back alive. took it down the road and it will take all the peddle. and the thing flys. or it will do the sputter die thing. could be at 1500 rpm or higher. its always different. it always comes back on when i let my foot off anf then give it gas.

now i would say it was something i put on but it did it before i changed the fuel filter. banks says it sounds like i knocked something off when putting the exhaust on. but i checked it all and it looks good to me. the thing wouldnt pwer brake before the mods i did, but now it will smoke them no problem boost goes 15-20. pyro temp goes around 300-600 depending how long i keep into it.

sorry it was soooo long but wanted to give the whole story. please any idea or advise would be greatly appreciated. it is a really nice truck and would like to keep it going as long as possible. thanks guys.

just scanned it and this is what came up. p 0603 pcm processor keep alive memory. could this be doing this to my truck and what is neeing to be replaced?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
dstruble
Just A Squirrel
Member's Gallery

Re: p0603 pcm processor keep live memory

answered your other post, KAM is a "normal" code for a chipped/tuned truck
1956 f100 Heidts Suspension all around
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 PM
PowerHungry
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstruble View Post
answered your other post, KAM is a "normal" code for a chipped/tuned truck
Slight correction...

P0605 - ROM Error is common for a chipped truck.
P0603 - KAM Error is common for a truck after the battery was disconnected.

In either event, it shouldn't be much to worry about unless the P0603 is persistent. If it doesn't go away by itself after a week or doesn't go away by simply clearing DTCs with a scan-tool, then this could indicate a problem with the ECM where the learned strategies are not being stored during Key-Off.

Best bet, clear the DTCs, turn the key off, turn key on, and then read DTCs again. If P0603 is still present then there is an issue with the ECM or 12v "always hot" lead to the ECM.

If you need any help, feel free to give us a shout and we can walk you through further diagnosis and provide some troubleshooting flowcharts for you as well.

Take care.
2001 7.3L - Stage 1's and a Tymar - 399 HP
2004 6.0L - 440 HP #2 Only/482 HP on Boost Juice - 12.961 @ 102.6 MPH
Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
retired1
Member's Gallery

do you think this would be making the truck act like this? and cleaning it will fix it?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 AM
PowerHungry
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!
Member's Gallery

If the only change you made between good run and bad run was change the downpipe, then it's possible you may have knocked something off. The only thing I can think of in that vicinity is the MAP sensor hose or *POSSIBLY* the injector harness into the valve cover (although it's out of the way a bit). Both could cause unresponsive throttle and sputtering.

Injector harness is located here...

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:35 AM
retired1
Member's Gallery

thanks man for the info. im going to go see if they are secure. wouldnt they throw a code of some sort?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:45 AM
retired1
Member's Gallery

also could you steer me to where the 12v "always hot" lead to the ECM is.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 AM
PowerHungry
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!
Member's Gallery

Here's the pinout:

The pin you're looking for is #55.

Happy hunting. :)
Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM
dstruble
Just A Squirrel
Member's Gallery

FWIW i would get KAM code after installing my old Superchips tuner, just my $.02 Like powerhungry said maybe something got knocked loose??
Old 11-29-2008, 06:05 PM
PowerHungry
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!
Member's Gallery

DS,

Situations where P0603 would occur:
  1. Power Loss (Battery died/disconnected, ECM unplugged - Clear DTCs makes it go away.)
  2. Reflash (This can clear or corrupt the KAM - Clear DTCs makes it go away.)
  3. No power to pin #55 (Causes KAM to reset every time the truck is turned off - Clear DTCs makes it go away but will return next key cycle.)
  4. Chip causing issues with KAM line on J3 port (Some chips can interfere with the KAM line - Clear DTCs makes it go away but will return next key cycle.)
Most programs will set the P0605 ROM Error code if the checksum hasn't been done properly in the calibration file. This is only a problem if you need to get inspected. It doesn't have any effect on the way the vehicle runs. Ideally, you should never see the P0603 unless one of the above conditions occurs and then clearing the DTCs should make it go away. If it returns, there is a persistent problem that needs to be investigated.

Take care.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 131
02stroke'n, 02stroked, 03_7.3POWER, 2000f350v10, 7.3 King Ranch, 94Matt, 99SilverLegacy, acostj, Allister73, AMB, amdriven2liv, BadDogPSD, badluck_early99, bergpsd, big bad stroker, Big Chuck, Big Head, bigdaddy4x, BigDirty '04, bigern515, bigjohnbyrum, BigTXForddiesel, black_forest_f350, Blowby, bonser16, Boostaddict08, brandon_7, Caballo Diablo, Calico5, CATdiezel, cemeyer, Chicagostroker, Choupique108, cody342b, CooterBrown, countryboyz04, coyconner1983, crowz, CRZCNDN, CSIPSD, CTFFEMT, cvdenson, davey99ps, dblamp, Deerslayer42694, Delox, DieselBrad, Diesel_Dust, Diesel_Jeramy, dstruble, dustin johnson, f450fordzilla, fordman25, fordman73, Gregch, harperc, helispaz, hudsonb, jamiewood, Jason73, jboice641, JerseyJim, Jesse@SCT, jjlw, JoestingMO, John_DeereGreen, jshakeb, Justin@DP-Tuner, Jvernon, KPSquared, lght1, mainer815, mattrac, mazdaparts, mech2161, mental floss, middlemanjw, MilehighEX, mnstroker, mossyoakmudslinger, needalaugh, nickc, Oscar1017, PHPDiesel, Powerstroke Racer, powerstroke12, powerstroke616, PSDfan99, RamMig1016, Rebel Horseman, rebelchevy02, retired1, Riley250, rkdblacksmoke, rlw2000, Ron's power stroke, rpm-inc, rugbymachine, Ryanisme23, Schaefer7.3, SeeYa, sick97psd1, slowleak, smokin99stroke, smokinford07, SNAKE76, Splash, star73, Stroke00, strokefreak, Super_Hauler, Sweet D, tank, The Fabricator, Tinscout, TNScrambler, Tom S, tomspear, tony2kx, TOWELD, twiztidconspiracy89, TXStroker97, VanAackenBrosRacing, whitie, whitjo, wicked027.3, wilson2001