Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What is the honest mpg like with a 6.4, 4x4 srw cc short bed?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  eric.davis 
#1 ·
And what does an dpf delete exhaust do for mileage. I would like to know what the best these things can do without any after market tunes. Thanks

#2 ·
Well my grandpa has an '08 CCLB F350 w/3.73's and it gets around 17mpg bone stock.

Of course, there is a problem with his DPF in that it hardly ever goes into regen and when it does it's only for a minute or so and it blows white smoke. :D Before his DPF had this "issue", it was getting about 13mpg.

Dave

#3 ·
most trucks i seen that come into the dealer get 9-13 miles a gallon, i did see one time a 08 getting 4.3 mpg on the dash, (that sucks). just depends on right foot and how heavy the rig is.

#4 ·
I've only got 550 miles on the truck and my average mileage has been 12.5 with two regens during that time.
The mileage does suck on these new trucks until you open them up with a DPF delete pipe and some tuning.

#5 ·
I'm about to be a sponsor here in a few days but does anyone want to try out a programmer from Power Hungry with custom files on it? You can leave the DPF on there and pick up anywhere from 2-5mpg depending on the truck. Basically it will cause less regen cycles and it puts the timing back in the motor (the main reason these trucks drink so much fuel). PM me if interested, I should take delivery of my first one early next week...

#7 · (Edited)
Well on my trip up to D.C. this weekend I got 300 miles on a half tank with the 275hp tune. I have a 30 gal. tank avg speed was 65mph. so thats an average of 20mpg

#9 ·
Well mine (250 ccsb 4x4 3.73 auto) was getting around 13-14 stock. I kinda got a deal w/ Diesel Builder mag, they shot the truck and gave me a new predator to test and keep. With it on 50hp mileage went to 17.2 hand calculated. My dash meter is usually way off.
It suits it just fine. But its fixin to lose the filter and get some better tuning, just hadnt had time.

#14 ·
Well I wouldn't even mess with any tuner while having the dpf on. But its your truck. But I would either email or call up spartan and get your hands on the DD and their tunes or call up elite and get theirs because both are working with each other. Either way you will be far more happy with hp and mpg once you do.

#16 ·
O i hear ya man. They just wanted me to do the magazine thing for all the people that read them and think off the shelf stuff is awesome. I'm gonna call Matt and get stuff from him. Just hadnt had time lately. Im mainly concerned about mileage outta my 6.4 doin the dpf and tunes. You like yours? And is Matts the pipe with the flange on it? Or is that SCT?

#15 ·
You can't add an extreme amount of power because of the extra soot, but mild to moderate power increases can be had without extra soot if you put the boost that this combo is capable of in the tune. The Middle file on the SCT off road kit will peg the factory boost gauge almost instantly. There is a lot of airflow available to clean up a good bit of fuel and not add any more smoke if tuned properly....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.