Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rear Back Up Cameras??

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  crowz 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this one? www.swifthitch.com $280-$300.
Could be used for alot of things.

Have heard the $100 licence plate one does not work in the dark.

Thank you,
Skrugs

#5 ·
Umm the license plate one I got from sonicelectronics has true nightvision. Looks like day time behind my truck just by touching the brake lights. Killer night time camera.

Ive had mine for awhile now and still love it. Best mod I could of done to my truck. Not to mention it makes hooking up a tralier a breeze.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...on+Night+Vision+Camera+Built-In+VB21C-RV.html

I tried that link I had saved out and its showing they are doing maintenance right now but it should load later I guess.

#7 ·
Kenwood DDX-512 stereo.

It auto switches to the reverse camera when I put the truck in reverse.

#9 ·
From what I have heard, you don't want a wireless model. You can pick up interference and have a fuzzy or no pic.

#11 ·
I've had a wireless one. It worked ok, but yes it could get interference from 900 mhz phones.

I have a CCD license plate mounted camera with nightvision, and it does work (runs through my Kenwood). Night vision is good enough to easily hook up a trailer, and that's all I need. I can't for the life of me find the name of the brand that I bought, but I paid just under $100 for it. The camera is extremely small and inbeded in a chrome license plate frame. I actually have to point out the camera before people even notice it's there.

Just be careful when picking out cameras. My Kenwood, as well as many other head units, only work with CCD cameras. CCD is more expensive than the generic cameras you see all over Ebay.

#13 ·
#14 ·
I run the DDX512 and the Kenwood camera on my truck... WORKS GREAT!!!

I wired it in so that you hold the NAV buttom and the camera comes on regardless of what I am doing.

#15 ·
Mines like that too. All cars and trucks should come with a reverse camera by law in my opinion. The thing is a godsend.

#16 ·
I want to hook up cameras on my truck. Motion detection and a small DVR, wireless to my home network. Security system and backup camera in one.

#17 ·
Some of the new alarm systems do that now. Dont remember what brand it was.

#18 ·
Yep, here in the metroplex a guy was caught keying a hummer with that system on it. I can cet the cams for a pretty cheap price, they are the same ones we use in our hidden camera employee theft stings. They run on 12V DC.

A 4 channel DVR with a flash drive instead of HDD would be fairly cheap to set up.

#19 ·
I got my back up camera from Ebay for $20 shipped. Has night vision, and a meter to show you distance. Still trying to figure out where to mount it though. Maybe tailgate? Maybe in the bumper. BTW mine is wired version.

#22 ·
Can't remember it came from hong kong.. Just search back up camera the guy usually has lots on there.. Just look for ones with night vision and distance monitor.

#21 ·
just wondering if you're looking for something to help connect a trailer... i've found little brothers, wife, Friend pretty good... i also know that when i back up to a trailer i put the center of the trailer in line with the center of my pickup bed... and for some reason its close enough every time... but for those of you grasp the concept of depth perception a few low tech items may help...

magnetic telescoping balls place one on the hitch of your truck and the other on the hitch of the trailer when the two meet you're done! less than $20

then theres a mirror that hangs over your tailgate and looks down all you have to do is get close than instantly know how far off you are.. $20

then theres the all inclusive trial and error or bump tap method.. ... my personal favorite i've gotten it down to a science, see i employ a slight drop hitch on my truck... with airbags i have found this the best hitch for my truck so i set the trailer height right at the height of the ball then back my truck straight up to the trailer keeping it in the center of my tailgate, then when i'm close i get out to make sure its lined up, and if it is, i get back in and back my truck up till it bumps or taps the drop hitch.... perfect every time. however like i said before the depth perceptionally challenged folks might have an issue with it... but it costs a lot less then a camera of any sort but if you must have the camera then well i guess you're stuck on having a camera... lol good luck

NOTE: no bumpers have been injured in the performance of this method... the drop hitch absorbs any impact, and is set below the bumper.. also the getting out and ensuring i'm lined up before backing into it helps too.

on another topic... if you do have a rear mounted camera that is in the license plate frame... how are you going to be able to see a hitch in the receiver below the bumper?

#23 ·
on another topic... if you do have a rear mounted camera that is in the license plate frame... how are you going to be able to see a hitch in the receiver below the bumper?
These cameras have an enormous angle and capture just about anything. On top of that, ones like mine have an adjustment screw where you can turn the camera to point up or down. The way mine is set, the hitch ball is at the very bottom of the screen, and I can still see above the horizon and keep the full trailer in view.

Oh, and my hitch drops pretty far too because my truck is lifted. So yeah, these cameras capture quite a bit.

#24 ·
I saw a news story that they are trying to make them manditory on all vehicles. Don't know howthey can make in retroactive. They can't make seatbelts retroative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.