Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

loose automatic shifter handle

13K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  tsanjose 
#1 ·
ok so i have a 95 cc automatic. the shifter handle is getting sloppy. my buddy has a truck like mine and sometimes his wont even go into park (thus wont start) its soo loose. what wears out in the column. ive seen it a few years ago on another truck and dont remember what the problem was. any takers? :lookaround:

#2 ·
Wish I knew myself. Ive read for some people its the cable stretching. Mine feels more like its a bearing that the shifter pivots on. Its very loose on mine but still shifts ok. Need to replace whatever its needing as its anoying. Hopefully someone will chime in with more info.

#5 ·
Don't know if you can get them aftermarket or not.I'm a tech at a ford dealer so i've never tried to get them anywhere else.But if i recall both of them are less than $10.I would definatly tighten the 2 torx first and see how much of a difference it makes.

#6 ·
most likley to be the 2 torx screws seen it a dozen times.

#7 ·
I remembered just now I had read about the torx bolts and checked mine. They were tight. So I guess its bushings on mine.

#10 ·
You can also check the shift lever where it connects to the column. There is a push pin that holds it in place it may be worn.

#13 ·
yeah knowing my luck i'll be putting in bushings. i still haven't pulled on the clamshell to check out the screws yet. but thanks for the info guys. i'll post what i find. (please be loose screws, please be loose screws)

#14 ·
Dude this is an easy fix. I find it best to drop the column down and just do it!

Look at the cast aluminum mast real close while your there they broke alot of them at the refinery I was working at. If it were me id replace the mast,bushings and shifter cable. Then you know its all new and works like a charm. My own truck needs this done I have bushing but will more than likely replace all the above just to get that new feeling again.

#15 ·
i just checked it out and the bolts are good and tight. the bushing are loose though. its not that bad at the moment but im sure it'll get worse. i'll just wait a while before i remove the column to replace the bushings. no biggie. thanks for all the info guys.

#17 ·
Ford still uses this set up into the Y2K's they are real semiular (sp) they can get the blow up of the colum and you just pick what you want they may even have it listed as a kit and it may even be cheaper if thats possible !

#18 ·
how do i get to this? i notice some play in my shift column too but dont understand what exactly im looking at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.