Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Opinions on wix filters.

16K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Pburressiii 
#1 ·
I've put them in company trucks at work, what are your opinions on them for a personal vehicle

#4 ·
Sold NAPA filters for 15 years. IMHO they are engineered poorly. There is a ton more surface area than most competitors. One of their claims of greatness is more pleats and thicker paper with tighter holes to catch more dirt. This actually drives up oil pressure in almost all cases. This was not a bad thing if you were running a carberated hot rod gas burner. For newer vehicles with more stringent specs, filters should match OEM specs for many reasons and WIX does not seam to get that. A perfect example is them opting to leave off cellophane wrap on 6.0 PSD fuel filters and allowing moisture to the fuel injectors burning up millions of injectors. For whatever reason, they are not on top of current technology.

I have seen many vehicles see a 5 psi increase in oil pressure switching to a WIX filter. This means to me it has too much restriction. I think their air filters do the same thing. They are great at collecting dirt, but create too much restriction and can decrease power.

#5 ·
WIX XE Oil Filters

The WIX XE (extra-efficiency) oil filters are the most efficient and cost-effective filters in severe conditions. They feature microfiber "glass" media in order to filter out more of the small, engine-destroying particles. This special glass media offers less resistance to oil flow, therefore providing better protection on start-ups, especially in cold weather. Also, the glass media won’t absorb water like cellulose media.

Regular OEM Factory recommended filters are a minimum requierment for filtration.

Why would a Filter company make an XE type filter in the first place?
If the OEM pick was the best like your mechanic says or anyone else for that matter, then why does every filter manufacture offer synthetic media extra performance filters?

Cause people are just bad at math....:pointlaugh:

Javier

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies, the injector comment I believe is true. I ran only wix fuel filters on my 6.0 service truck for a little over a year and it finally laid down on me with 4 fouled injectors. The main reason I ran them is that we have a fleet program with a local auto parts store on the filters, so we get them at a considerable discount. And the closest dealer is a little over an hour away.

#7 ·
I run a Napa gold filter, which is Wix, and never had an issue. The oil analysis loom very good as well even after 6000 miles of usage.

#10 ·
I don't think so
I have seen images of the aftermarket caps failing and filters falling apart

as far as the oil I don't trust those guys to not mix up oil and not now what oil to use in a diesel

this is a known issue for the 6.0 and the OP has the 6.0 as far as a 7.3 it may not apply

#11 ·
I didn't notice you had a 6.0. I've never looked at a 6.0 filter. I have compared a Wix and Motorcraft filter for a 7.3 and I would be comfortable using a Wix. I use a Motorcraft because it costs less.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.