06 6.0 Blowing blue smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
lil Scriv
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

06 6.0 Blowing blue smoke

Alright Guys, Long time reader first time Poster here. I'll try and give as much info as possible to help out with someone being able to answer My question. some info on the Truck, I just bought it from a Family friend, The Truck only has 84,500 miles on it. When I bought it last week the Truck was all stock and the only Problem that was known that the truck has ever had was that the Turbo vanes were sticking(Not surprising since the truck has been sitting for the last 8 months) and the Previous owner had a Mechanic friend pull the turbo and rebuild it.

Now Ill start was what I have done to it, I bought the truck a week and a half ago The truck was all stock and was drove around by a grandpa all it's life. the Guy I bought it from was the son of the original owner. the original owner passed away last January and they just got around to selling it. I've known the truck since in was new it was always well maintained, had the Oil and fuel filters change every 4,000 miles at the same place all it's life and never had any upgrades put on it. When I got it I ordered a 5" turbo back No Muffler kit and I installed it. The first thing I noticed when I put the System on the truck was that it smoked on start up and when I drove it up the road, it was a white smoke that smelled of coolant, it didn't do it much just enough for you to notice it on start up. it would also have a blue puff of smoke when ever you take off from a light or a stop sign. Well I determined that the EGR Cooler was cracked so I ordered a Delete kit and installed it at nights after work over the last week. on first start up everything was fine no more white smoke or coolant smell and the water level never changes. so I thought cool were done with this problem. turns out I was wrong, after driving it and letting it warm up I noticed it still puffs blue smoke when taking off from a light. this in the problem I'm coming to You guys with. it doesn't have any blow by. it won't smoke when it's cold and only does it under moderate to hard acceleration. seems to do it worse when it idles longer. like if you coast for awhile going down a hill and then get back on it to get back up the hill You'll get a good sized amount of smoke. now I know blue smoke usually means it's burning oil and that's what it smells like, I don't know what y'all think but I'm leaning towards a turbo seal I'm just not sure. I was planning on pulling the down pipe to see if there's any oil residue on it. should be easy since it's a new down pipe. if there's any more info y'all need or if there are any tests I can do let me know. I'm almost getting tired of messing with this thing. I guess I should add the Truck runs great never misses a beat. runs fine other then the smoking.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM
carguyz28
import basher
Member's Gallery

Re: 06 6.0 Blowing blue smoke

You could be on the right path, or it could be a sticky injector thats seeping fuel instead of spraying it like it should, or dumping too much fuel.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM
lil Scriv
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

it could be something like that but if it was a injector wouldn't it be either black or whitish gray smoke?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
04 f350
Good ol boy
Member's Gallery

Blue smoke means its burning oil somwhere, I would check around the turbo and see if u see any oily areas, could be ur turbo seals are going bad

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Warrens 205/100s
Barder Stage 2
Air Dog 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM
lil Scriv
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Well update. Pulled back the down pipe and I can see some what appears to be oil residue in the down pipe. So I've confirmed that its burning oil right? What is the first place to look? Or what is the best way to diagnose where the issue is?

Thanks in advance.

-Robert
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM
MikesPowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I'm with 04 f350, blue smoke equals burning oil. And since you're getting residue on the downpipe I would check out the turbo. What all was done in the "rebuild" ?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 PM
lil Scriv
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I'm not sure. I'm gonna talk withthe PO Tomorrow and see what all was done and if they would warranty it. all I know is it was throwing some code and they determined it was sticking turbo veins. What am I looking for on or in the Turbo? I'm willing to do any of the work myself. I'm not scared to jump into anything. Couldn't be much harder then the EGR Delete and that wasn't even that bad.

-Robert
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 AM
04 f350
Good ol boy
Member's Gallery

Only thing u can really do is take the turbo out and go from there, are u still showing boost pressure or no?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
04 f350
Good ol boy
Member's Gallery

If u still got boost and it's blowing blue smoke more than likely it's bad seals, if so then I would take buy a turbo rebuild kit and dissemble and clean it real good and put it back in, just make sure u mark all the parts and line up everything like it was when u toke it apart

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 AM
lil Scriv
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Yeah I'm still getting plenty of boost. I just drove 300 miles towing a double decker pontoon boat. The boost gauge spent most of its time at 26-28 PSI like I said the truck runs great. I can complain one bit about Power or anything like that. Just tired of the smoke.

-Robert.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 101
04La4iat, 06VT365, 12v94, 1hydroman, 1sd, 2005stroker, 444CuiOBS, 6.0FORET, 67cummins, 79puller, 96strok, ajennings, AJR7895, ArmyGuy45, bassrippin365, bayouboy22, benjiblaze, big deal, BigDirty '04, BINGS6.0, bkingsoda, blackout_ctd, boatfixerkenn, broncobob, bzy livn, caleb90, carguyz28, CarpeDiemFX4, chris1978, Chris99powerstroke, ChrisAU, Chuck999, clp13294, codykthekilla, Dairy6.0Land, datsun510dad, daywalker, devinferg, dits145, dkauffman101, dunatic, F-25000, firefighter472, forddieselkicksass, From384, fsbaker, goodoleboy45, Grey6.0, greyson_05, gtmustang00, honda68, hunter scar, Hunter'97, IIvonnyII, jag6510, JBASS30, jfarmer86, Joedarr33, kx450f, lil Scriv, lopp, Lup3to, mastrkee, maxxisracing, MikesPowerstroke, mitaker, mmangino, mx213, never_summer, nitrouskid2601, Nutz, pete322, pickles1298, PokkerJoe, Power97Stroke, Powerstrokinfirefighter, Redneck Romeo, Rescue48, RescueF250, rray37375, ServiceTech, ShepsStroker, SKYTOWER, Smoker05, soapy, squad2man, Stroken03, StrokeThis8, Super Duty Dude, TBush4, teevo20, The Dude, The Gray Mule, tmanrose2007, tojo32, tonyt, turboculosis, tyler731, webb06, Zray