Low boost - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 AM
chrlskn123
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Low boost

I have '04 6.0 with exhaust, sinister egr delete, and a sct livewire tuner. im using the canned tunes that came with the livewire cause i cant find anyone in my area to make a custom tune. i wasnt paying too much attention at first but i started using the livewire to monitor the pids and i noticed my boost pressure wouldnt climb above 11 psi. My truck is running just fine and isn't throwing any codes but i think i should be seeing more boost than that. I checked all intercooler boots and everything else i could think of. Any ideas will help im at a loss here.... im planning a camping trip soon and im hesitate to pull my toyhauler if im gonna have a problem with the truck. thanks
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 AM
onebad97
Buy Low Sell High
Member's Gallery

Re: Low boost

Maby your tuner is reading wrong. Idk but I would think you would notice only 11 psi of boost. Espically when 6.0 put put like 40psi at wot. Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 AM
chrlskn123
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Im kinda thinking the same, like i said the truck is running just fine. i just like to be able to keep an eye on temps and boost and stuff. Which sensor reads boost is it the map sensor, or is there a boost sensor. my tuner reads off of the OBD2 so if my tuner is saying 11 pounds then is the engine reading the same?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 AM
justind
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

While it shouldnt be 40 your sensor or gauge is not reading correctly. It should be mid to high 20's easy.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 AM
onebad97
Buy Low Sell High
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlskn123 View Post
Im kinda thinking the same, like i said the truck is running just fine. i just like to be able to keep an eye on temps and boost and stuff. Which sensor reads boost is it the map sensor, or is there a boost sensor. my tuner reads off of the OBD2 so if my tuner is saying 11 pounds then is the engine reading the same?
I have a 7.3 so Idk a whole lot about all the electronic stuff. But you could always get a vacume/ boost guage and tap into your map sensor line and take it for a spin. That way you can see if it really is only putting out 11 psi or if there is something else going on. And I'm guessing there is a boost sensor because the 05 and up 6.0 had boost guages stock in the dash. Idk if they were electronic or off a boost line. like I said I'm a 7.3 owner so I'm not to up on all the electronic stuff. Wish I could help more.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 AM
justind
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

It is an electric 29psi sensor
Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 AM
chrlskn123
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks for the help guys, i thinking it s the map sensor. when i use my tuner to check the map pid an alert comes on right away saying the value is too high. does anyone know what normal values are for the map. My tuner is set from the factory to alert at 27 but it was reading in the 100's at an idle.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 AM
brute_mt
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I don't have a SCT but I do have a Scan Gauge II. I know on my SCII I have it programed to read boost off of the map sensor. The SCII uses a math equation and the map sensor reading to show boost. Maye you're reading 11 as the map sensor and not truely boost??? I'm not sure on the normal readings for a map sensor because it depends on your elevation above sea level. Here in Montana I believe it's around 13.5ish.
2004 F-350 CCSB Lariat 6.0L, Auto, FX4, 285/75R16 Toyo M-55s on Mickey Thompsons, K&N intake, EGR delete by Sinister, Coolant Filter by Sinister, Cat ELC, Blue Spring Mod, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, Scangauge II, billet grille insert, debadged
Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 AM
miller45103
Banned
Member's Gallery

I know I had some pinhole tears in my boots, but couldnt see them. I would double check em, but thats just me.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 AM
chrlskn123
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks everyone for the input, i found the problem yesterday. The small hose going to the map sensor was cracked almost all the way around down by the manifold so i kept missing it. So i was loosing boost and also the map wasnt reading properly. The hose was so stiff when i took it off it cracked in a couple other spots. So it was a simple fix and im back to reading good boost at the tuner and truck seems to be running a lil bit better than before. i plan on replacing all the boots soon any way, just trying to find some that will last but wont break the bank.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 49
04La4iat, 2005stroker, 6.0LAwhistler, 96strokerbz, acplowboy84, amdriven2liv, ARCTICCAT, AW350, babyjones, bismic1, brute_mt, Buckeye1437, chrlskn123, codykthekilla, Dave-pls, davidamontoya, DBM, djbonsu, dunnie67, DZL JIM, ford rules, fordmanmike, HankyD, jfarmer86, Jingoist, justind, Kenny Bob, leoneo01, Mhatlen, mike995, miller45103, muddynoll, nrook, onebad97, oshmago, pete322, Pruitt Motorsports, rb12405, sho669, SmokinStrokin7.3, sootman73, StrokeThis8, Strokin450, texans, toolmangary, truckguy876, TX_S, Under Dog, wackum