Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The Most Beautiful Military Truck Ever

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  spicergear 
#1 ·
Figured I'd make a post and let every one know what I want to do for a project in the future and my second love besides the my Fords.

I own a 51 Dodge M37 3/4 4x4, I think they are one of the most interesting trucks we have used in the military and have become increasingly more popular.

My goal one day is to Repower one, maybe mine, with a 4BTA Cummins, with disk brakes, power steering, etc etc.

This is an example of one of the finest Rebuilds and conversions I have ever seen. This guys has done three repowered cummins, soup to nuts, unbelievable work.

Lots of Pics here but they are worth the look if you like old military rebuilds. It's a must to scroll down and check out the final product.

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/m37project

Some of the Details of this truck include.

4BTA Cummins
Hydro Boost Brakes/Powersteering
Hydraulic Winch on Front, Electric on the Rear
ARB Lockers
Aux Fuel Tank and Tool Box in the Rear
Custom Dash and Interior

One day I'll start a project like this, but at this point I can't get it out of my head and had to post about it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear ya. I've alway dreamed of a 1947 WDX with a Cummins.

but here ya go just up in your neck of the woods. Time to get started:

1951 Dodge M37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1951 Dodge M37 $3,250 [MA]
New brake shoes, lines, cylinders, brake light switches and master.
New bronze bushings and seals in front axle.
New inner and outer bearing on front driver's side.
Seats upholstered.
New cap, rotor, points, condenser and coil.
All lights, wipers and horn work.

All gauges work.

Frame solid.
Floor decent, but getting a little weak in spots.
Rust where rear fenders meet bed, under headlights and on bottom of cab on passenger side.
Needs wiring harness and restoration.
Paint peeling from Fire Department spray job.
Daily driver since May 4, 2008.
$3,250.00.
Please call (978) 688-2795.

#6 ·
That might be a little pricey, I got a good deal on mine at 2200 with a hydraulic snow plow, and just about everything works on might. I'll post up a few photos of mine if I can ever get onto my photobucket with the internet connection that I have.

#4 ·
If you think that M-37 gets a wow check out the.

1943 Dodge Carryall he did, he basically rebuilt the entire body because it was so bad.

Here's a link http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/1943dodgecarryall

And check out his project "Bubble Bee Power Wagon"
http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/bumblebeepowerwagon;jsessionid=ngzchqjq71.buffalo_s

Or just go to the scroll down tab at the top of the page and check out all his builds, incredible work.

I've heard he has plans for 7, yes 7 more rebuilds all with cummins in them.

#7 ·
I think the guy is retired and just restores things now with his time, but with all the fab and custom work he did I can see why it took three years, there is not much original on that truck, but it still looks great.

#9 ·
Couple pics of my m37 for viewing pleasure. This is near what an orginal one should look like but still needs all the military badging. One of the my favor things on my truck is the real DOT strobes by Whelen, the freakin things are rediculously bright, there are two but you can't see the other one on the driver side. This thing has pulled my F-350 out from being stuck a few times like it never new it had 7500lbs behind it. 5.88 gears with low range helps out just a little.

Oh and don't forget my 2.5in stack on the side, you can tell this thing is straight piped from a long ways away.

#13 ·
I had a hunch that you'd might have a post on this thread Tank. That m37 the guy build is pretty seriously capable off road rig. The guys takes long trips with his vehicles.

Check out his trip around Labrador with his Carry all, not alot of serious off roading but a little different with a vehicle that's 60 years old.

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/translabrador2005;jsessionid=2sf30w2pw1.zebra_s

The Jeep Kaiser is another real popular rig that people like to set up for off roading, pretty capable when they are set up good. That must be the rig Petersons Offroad built right?

#12 ·
Your completely right about the time and money in those trucks. I bet he has easily 30k maybe closer to 40k into that m37 from all the drive trans parts(new engine and trans) to the metal purchased for fabrication, to the hydraulic winch etc etc. Not to mention the 10s of thousands is shop tools the guy has.

If I want to keep mine as a plow truck, it actually would probably be easier to do a restoration with another m37 for a few reasons.

First if I put a 4BTA in mine I want to run power brakes power steering etc. But I currently have a mechanically driven hydraulic pump mounted where a normal power steering pump would go.

That would mean if I swap to a 4BTA I'd have to either figure out if my pump for the plow could also serve as my power steering pump and supply hydroboosted brakes if I go that way. Or the other alternative would be mount the entire hydraulic assembly on the 4BTA plus the power steering pump that will already be on the 4BTA, now the systems would be indepented. Confusing?

And I actually kinda want one that I don't worry about when it comes to plowing or driving it around, which is what I can do with mine now. If I restore one with a 4BTA I'd probably baby it a little but still drive it.

#15 ·
Yup that's the one, I remember reading about it in the mag which covered one of their long trips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.