Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hamburgers

4K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  Kip 
#1 ·
Is it ground chuck or ground sirloin that makes the better hamburgers? I'm makin' some of my top-secret burgers thursday night for the Saints pre-season game at the bar but it's been a while and can't remember which to use. I know they're both good, but one has a little more fat to add some more flavor.

#3 ·
Ground Sirloin will be the best. Lower fat % is what I choose. Just remember to cook it slower. I grind the best into burger, what beats a burger?

I really like to get deer ground with 15-20% bacon, yes bacon, it will make the best burger you've had. Oh yea, I kill at least 4 a year with the bow, gotta do something with em.

But for burger, less fat means slower cooking.

#4 ·
Flip your burgers only once and do not ball up the meat then make a patty, just grab a handful and squish it gently into a patty... it makes all the difference in how much juice it retains...

#5 ·
I grille chuck, 15 to 22 % fat. cook um on pretty high heat at first. grill some onions in oil in another pan. when i flip um, i put a piece of swiss, some grilled onions, and put a glass lid on the pan. i have never had a complaint yet. unfortunately everyone in my family makes me cook always!

p.s. need a taco recipe?:poke:

#10 ·
I dont think I could ever bring myself to buy meat. All of my hamburger meat is deer with a little beef talow mixed in. When it comes time to make burgers though, I mix extra ingridients into the meat to add more flavor and to keep it juicy.

#12 ·
we just get the steaks and roasts we want and gird up the rest

#16 ·
Haven't tried those ones before. Have you tried Vidalia Burgers before? That's the best frozen ones I've had so far.

#26 ·
buffalo is very good too! just harder to get, and cost more.

elk is the best
elk hotdogs rock! or sausage, whatever you want to call them.

#18 ·
Ah, didn't pay enough attention to the label I guess. :D

#20 ·
I don't know if that's the same ones I've gotten or not. Now you're gonna make me go to Rouse's and look. :doh: :D

#27 ·
this is the winner for fast food burgers!!!!
animal style!!!! no 4x4's for me!!

#23 ·
This is probably my all time favorite burger as far as going out and getting one:

It's an old-school New Orleans chain: http://www.budsbroiler.com/index.shtml

Toasted and buttered buns, big-ass hunks of burger, lots of cheese, cloppy toppings, etc... :D

That's in New Orleans though, not Slidell. Used to have one here but it closed down a long time ago. :(

In Slidell the best is Lee's Hamburgers. It's another home-made style burger joint, with or without onions in the burger.

#47 ·
But do you get the Sauce on it. A good number 4 with sauce. Man you make me want to take a road trip!!!!!

Brent

#30 ·
Only thing on this thread that I disagree with is the "one flop" theory. A meats professor in college once showed us that the way to keep meat juicy in the middle, was to flop the meat (hamburger or steaks) whenever you saw juice showing up on top. That kept the juices in the middle. If it takes 2-3 flops, so be it. If it only takes one flop, that works too. Mostly depend on how thick the piece is as to how many flops before it is cooked the way you like it.

I personally think that fresh ground round is the best hamburger meat. If at all possible, I get a good size round steak with a good fat covering and have the butcher grind it for me. To me that is the best hamburger ever and so do my guests and family. Elk burger is one of the best ground meats there is and I have it ground with 20% beef suet. Good chewin'.

Also, the very best burgers are fried in a cast iron skillet or griddle and covered with a lid. If you ever try one that way, you'll never go back to a BBQ grill for burgers.

Pappy

#33 ·
Only thing on this thread that I disagree with is the "one flop" theory. A meats professor in college once showed us that the way to keep meat juicy in the middle, was to flop the meat (hamburger or steaks) whenever you saw juice showing up on top. That kept the juices in the middle. If it takes 2-3 flops, so be it. If it only takes one flop, that works too. Mostly depend on how thick the piece is as to how many flops before it is cooked the way you like it.
Hmm, first I've heard that. I'm gonna try it next time.

#34 ·
Old Town Tavern in Slidell. I'm not gonna be grilling now though. GOt community service 'til 5pm because I was retarded and got a DUI. :doh:

Game starts at 7pm and I still have to work out before hitting the bar. That sounds funny in the same sentence doesn't it? :poke: :D

#35 ·
I can't seem to figure out why you waste good burgers on a saints game to watch the saints I would maybe go to the gas stations and get some corndogs or something now if it was a COWBOYS game then get some good burgers :poke:

#38 ·
Can't get rid of the Cowboys=Convicts feeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.