05 350 6.0 running hot - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 AM
ec9
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

05 350 6.0 running hot

Hey guys whatís up. Iíve been lurking on the forum for about a month since I bought this 05. Anyways hereís the deal. I took the truck in to Ford and they put green coolant in it.

A few days after, it smoked the EGR. I shut it down and it didnít make it over 240* EOT. I had a shop install a new cooler, EGR delete, HPOP, IRP and replace some hoses. They flushed and filled with Ford gold before all the replacements. it has a tune(not sure which one) cat back ext and a air raid cold intake on it.

The water temp stays between 190-195 pretty much all the time. the truck after warm will run in the city under 60mph at 200-205. Stoping at lights or at idle it cools down. I ran it down the interstate after about an hour of in town driving and it hit 216 according to my scan gauge.

I canít find any leaks and assume the sensors and thermostat are good. There is no smoke from the exhaust or any puking. Oil looks good and coolant is cleanÖ. I checked that the fan was spinning with my SCT. I also have a manual switch to kick it on.

Could it simply be the oil cooler needs another replace after 175 miles or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks

E
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 AM
toolmangary
Fixing Broken Stuff
Member's Gallery

Re: 05 350 6.0 running hot

Ok, so the ECT hit 216??? what was the EOT?
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 AM
ec9
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Sorry, EOT was 216 ECT was 201
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 AM
2 Stroker
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Why would they install the green cool aid and that was a Ford dealer.
Need to do a coolant flush with Restore then a Restore+ flush but do you have a coolant filter in place to remove the casting sand don't need it in there to gum up the works should be in place about 5k before a flush
This should help you understand the reason to ditch the Gold junk it can't take the heat. Gauges are a must to do this need to know EOT-ECT
Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps - Page 21 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
This should be in the driverside block drain to ease the pain in draining and getting burned.
QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil
Here is another great cooling flush if you have to back flush.
http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
6L Flushing and adding ELC coolant (CAT EC-1 Rated)
Restore is for cleaning out any silicate goo. VC-9 is for cleaning out iron and scale. Restore + is the same as VC-9 and cheaper.

To flush drain the coolant by removing the lower radiator hose from the radiator, and removing the drain plug from the driver side of the block. There is a drain plug on the passenger side also but you have to remove the starter to get to it. I don't bother with that one.
I also highly recommend you pull the thermostat out on your first drain and put the housing back without the thermostat. It only takes about 10 minutes and will save you 2.5 hrs or so in doing this whole procedure.

Ok now put the lower hose back on and the drain plug back in the block if you removed it. This is the procedure you will use each time to drain the system, except you will not touch the thermostat again until you're finished the whole procedure. Make sure that you set your heater to high while doing this to flush out the heater core as well.

Fill the cooling system with distilled water, start the truck and let the water circulate for 5 minutes. (if you did not remove the thermostat you must run the truck until the thermostat opens + 5 minutes to circulate. This takes 15 to 20 minutes each cycle and is why you should just remove the thermostat) Stop the engine. Drain the system and repeat the flush.

Now add at least 1/2 gallon of Restore and fill with distilled water. I used cardboard in front of the radiator because you have to get to 185* 190* for these products to work. Drive truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes just before you get back from your drive remove the cardboard this will help in the cool down same on the Restore+ flush. Drain and flush 3 or 4 times. or tell clean

Add 1/2gal of Restore Plus, top with distilled water, and drive the truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes. Now drain and flush until flush water comes out clear and clean. When you get clean flush water, flush 3 more times using distilled water while draining the block.

After your final distilled water drain it is time to put the thermostat back in take a funnel and dump the ELC coolant down the t/stat hole 3 1/2 gallons or till full to the top of the hole that way you have O air in the block, I recommend you install a new thermostat at this point 3C3Z-8575-AA Thermostat with housing come with new o-ring. They are only $30 or so and it is good maintenance procedure to do so and top off with distilled water. Drive the truck or let run for a while topping off with distilled water. Check the truck over the next few days and top up as required while any air left in the system works its way out useing the 1/2 gallon left over but fill with distilled water that will give you 1 gallon of mix fill ONLY to the add mark this is the new full cald mark. Remember the system hold 7 gallons of coolant by draining the driverside block drain and Radiator you remove adout 3 1/2 gallons of DISTILLED water that is why you only use 3 1/2 gallons of concentrate coolant this gives you a 50/50 mix.

Keep some 50/50 ELC on hand to use to top off the cooling system from here out and you are good to go.

new t/stat from Ford it should all come together (housing-t/stat-o-ring) in a box. The part number is RT-1169
My advice is to get some ph strips from Napa and check the ph level before add ELC coolant because you what a ph level of 7.0 if higher you must keep flushing to get to a neutral balance in the distilled water then you can add coolant, for me it was 6 flushes or 24 gallons of distilled water.

Here is the Restore Product from Cummins dealer
Restore
Restore Coolant System Cleaner Gallon, CC2610, Fleetguard Cummins
Restore+
Cooling system cleaner restore plus, CC2638, Fleetguard Cummins
My fan comes on around 212-214* and it sounds like a jet plane and when pulling my 5er the most that I have seen is ECT 218* EOT 228* pulling a 6-7% grade 6 miles long in 90* temps my solo temps run ECT 194* EOT 198-200*
2 stroker
Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Delo ELC-coolant Filter
pulling 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp 4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
EGT,Boost,Trans
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
ec9
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I took it in to have all the fluids changed out. Well they changed them out that's for sure. They refunded me the cost of the cooler for the screw up.

I guess I'll start with getting a filter and then flush it. Thanks for the links.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 56
04 f350, 04La4iat, 06kingranch37, 2 Stroker, 2005stroker, 2006powerleaker, 494doug, 7.3, 95gasser, Backwoods Electric, bennyboy, BIGN, bigrngyj, bzy livn, cjgunner, Dirt Floor Poor, drago1217, durafish, ec9, eyoung, FireRescueFL, florida 6.0, ford fanatic, golfer, hanleyj, harleyf250, IdaGlyde, indiana lineman, JBmaker, joestroo, Kbm6.0, KneeDragger79, ksieckmann, ktmrydr686, LBCpowerstroke, miller45103, mmm635, muddy650, new2deisel, njmudrat, Nutz, pwrstrk6.0, rdunagan, rollin_smoke, rougerocco, sonnyy13n, Steve'O, tecelec1, toolmangary, TVMC, wackum, webb06, Wheelhop, zeekzimm85, zx800x