Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Exhaust ported heads....

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Machinist 
#1 ·
How does this look? Raised .100....

See less See more
#3 ·
Port looks good, but exhaust flow is not the flow issue with the head. Get some air moving on the intake side.

There are some schools of thought that exist that the exhaust currently flows too well in comparison to the intake....... just some food for thought. There are many tractor pullers that will tell you that you need X*Exhaust flow for the intakes where X is a number greater than one. That info has come from countless hours of dyno testing.

Jason

#4 ·
This was the "most bang for the buck" port job. He talked intake and the price skyrocketed.

I am using the stock e series manifolds. I hope they can be ported to match. Did I mention they are getting out getting coated? :eek:

I will lay an exhaust man gasket on the head tomorrow. Is the gasket the stock head port or stock manifold size? I would do it now but the stuff isn't in my garage.

#11 ·
On the 7.3 heads, the exhaust is the side that really needs the porting. Preferably both, but mainly the exhaust.
What makes you believe this?

I forget what the actual MCSA measurement was, but the intake port on these heads is a cork - the port should never be the limiting factor, always the valve to keep the motor from being lazy.

#9 ·
I checked it out this morning, the manifolds will be fine. When I laid the gasket on the head, the steel ring is still bigger than the port, even though the port isn't centered on the gasket anymore.

#13 ·
My house is getting new flooring put in this week, so I don't have my desktop computer available - but I have a couple pictures on there of a head that we sectioned up years ago that will show you that the port shrinks down to about 1" tall by 5/8" wide - if you stick your finger down the intake dogleg behind the guide you will feel that it's barely a finger-widths wide. Also the end port has a smaller minimum cross-section than the other ports. Lots of time, patience, and broken carbides will yield nice results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.