Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

A Texan's voice

919 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MudSouth 
#1 ·
A Texan's voice

One thing about TEXAN'S, their heart is always in the right spot!

T. B. Bechtel, a part-time City Councilman from Midland, TX , was asked on a local live radio talk show, just what he thought of the allegations of torture of the Iraqi prisoners. His reply prompted his ejection from the studio, but to thunderous applause from the audience.

HIS STATEMENT:

'If hooking up an Iraqi prisoner's balls to a car's battery cables will save just one Texas GI's life, then I have just three things to say,

Red is positive,
Black is negative,
Make sure his balls are wet.'

#4 ·
Although it's funny it's a terrible mind set. Several organizations have reached the conclusion that the US militaries mass round ups have ensnared large amounts of completely innocent civilians, to torture possibly innocent and certainly yet to be proven guilty "Iraqi Prisoners" just to save one US life says that we have no respect for rule of law or fairness.

One other avenue to save American lives is not to invade other countries.

Did you know that after WWII the US prosecuted the Japanese military for war crimes for using water boarding as an interrogation tecknique?

#5 ·
While an innocent person being tortured/killed is a terrible thing, how do you think the U.S Soldiers feel not knowing who their enemy is and being put under such pressure to positively identify a dangerous threat before taking action. Hesitation is death in war time. I can't even begin to imagine how it messes with your head not knowing whether the next woman or child that walks up to you will have 50lbs of explosives strapped on under their garments. Fact is, we are at war and there are bad things that happen in wartime. Is it right? I don't think any of us sitting over here in the states can say anything in that respect because it's a hard question to answer. Where is the fine line drawn between war crimes and effective use of force/torture etc... That's a very tough question. Liberals will say treat all with dignity, respect and any form of punishment/torture is a war crime and should be prosecuted. Go to the other side of the spectrum and they will say wipe out the opposition without regard to innocence. There will always be a fine line between those two extremes. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we are to the far left of that fine line right now.

#6 ·
I have to agree with Ramblin Man. It's a similar situation as the Vietnam War, as in the opposing forces purposly blended in with the civilians to confuse the invading forces. Most if not all do not wear uniforms to acknowledge whether or not they are in the Iraqi military. If anybody is tortured, even acidentaly, then this might persuade the civilians to do more on their part to help distinguish the difference in who is in the military and who is not.

And if that councilman was in my district, you can be dam certain that I will keep voting for him.

#7 ·
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

All great opinions. But if you've actually served, please post with a big o'l :gun:. If not, then well :drool: FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT JUDGE THE ACTIONS OF THOSE WHO ACTUALLY OPERATE IN AN AREA YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE....

#9 ·
I see both points. I haven't served but respect those that have and do. I can't even begin to imagine what it is like to have to be cautious of each and every person knowing that death could be around the next corner. What I don't respect is the people that put us in this situation. Unless war status has changed (and it may have) I thought George W. said the war was over and now we are peace keeping and helping them rebuild. So technically we are not in wartime even though we have troops abroad being shot at and such. My opinion is we should bring most of our troops out of Iraq and put them on the hunt for Bin Laden. Get him and then bring our guys home.

#11 ·
Orezona,
My father is a Marine that served in Korea and was a DI at Paris Island he retired as a Seargent Major. He believed that the Iraq War was necessary for several reasons. Beyond the WMD's he saw Sadam as a new type of Hitler. He believed we needed to end his evil and send a message to the world. He also believed that the wars of the future will and are very different then the past and that we needed to adapt and that there was two ways of doing it a hard way or a real hard way. His concern was people that compared the definitions of previous wars to this new terror war.

He like all Marines could fight like no other and in the midst of it take the hand of a woman and child and show compassion and give his life if needed. Only a special breed of Man could do that.

While at the Hospice riddled with cancer a year and a day from the last Veterans day the Marines sent two young soldiers to his bed and presented him with a thank you plaque for no other reason then being a Marine. Even though cancer had ravaged his brain he return a salute and smiled. He passed the next day...on Veterans day. It could not have been more perfect.

I believe without men like him we as a country (even the liberals) would be like the Iraqi people were with Sadam. A boot on our neck.

I want to thank all of you that serve and do it because you not only love our Country but would protect any that are weak and bullied. I want to thank those like my father who faded from history without notice of only a few but had a profound effect on many.

I dont believe we need to police the world only every so often we have to put a stop to evil. Some times we gotta do what we gotta do to achieve it.

Sorry 389Sixpack if I bummed your thread...That was definately a Texan's voice. We need more of that real straight talk.

#15 ·
Thanks Fellas for the comments concerning my Dad. I appreciate them. However, I think I may have written it with to much focus on him instead of my intentioned point. My point was to honor our Military and the unique soles that are in it. Also, to show my appreciation and respect for those special men and women.

My intended point was that we have a great military force that the majority of them are grounded in our American Principles. Yeah there are some in the service that shouldnt be there but the majority are principled men and women.

I think they have the unique ability to know what to do to win a war and once its started they should be left to do it how they think it should best be done. We should have more faith in them and stop criticizing everything we can because of personal or political reasons.

If we decided to unleash the Big Dog (right or wrong) we need to let it do what its there to do. I have faith that they will do it the best they can (better then anyone else) and maintain our cultural values. I also believe that the troubled ones will be indentified and removed as I have already seen happen.

I'm not saying dont ask questions of the military I'm talking about criticizing and acting like we know whats best. Actually I never hear any questioning just statements of "what we should be doing" or criticism of what they've done. What we should be doing is listening to everything they say and giving them the freedom to finish it the way they know best.

I can guarantee you no else has a better way to do it then them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.