Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New to the 6.0l

791 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  barlowboyz 
#1 ·
Alright guys i first want say hello to the 6.0l yes after 8 years with an obs 7.3l its time to move up to shomething that shines, Down falls- spent all of my time researching learning and breathing and worshiping the 7.3l, now on with it, i really dont know alot on theses things, heard the basics heard the horor stories so help me out here, after searching on here i still really havent found much but heres what i need. im buying a beautiful 2004 F-250 ccsb 92,000 miles the only thing thats done on it now is a crap exhaust and an afe intake which im thinking on returning to stock since all i see is the oem is great for a big hp number, now whats the best step to take on mods to make this thing strong? with a nice hp and good mpg.

Btw as of now i have about $5000 to spend and alot i can do my self but if studs need done i wont do.

Heres what i was figuring:

EGR delete ( whats the best for the buck)?
New dp and exhaust no muffler or cat
Sct tuner ( was thinking about the live wire) should i have custom tunes? yet?

ok so what else guys help me out a friend had a 6.0 no tuner and blew his turbo up hauling a load should i go ahead and do a aftermarket turbo now? what fits? any help would be great and anything to add would be great

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you are on the right track starting off. About the best bang for your buck for power and mileage will come from an exhaust, intake and tuner. I wouldnt spend money on the stock intake just because an AFE is on there. Just leave it and change/clean the filter and save that money for other things.

You WILL need some sort of guages/monitoring device. I highly recommend the Edge Insight CTS monitor. It will be the best $400 you spend on your truck. It kicks the snot out of the livewire and it can be upgraded for monitoring other things like fuel pressure and actual oil pressure. 6.0's have an oil switch that once it reads 5-7 psi of oil it makes the guage on the dash read normal.

SCT with Custom tunes are where it is at. It is perfectly ok to get a custom tune with stock head bolts.

I can tell you from experience that if you can do an egr delete you can do head studs. JMO on that and IMO if you are tearing that far in (because you probably should add an oil cooler and coolant flush) you might as well go the rest of the way and do studs (at least one at a time if you currently arent leaking)

Dont worry about the stock turbo taking a dump, wait until it does or after you get larger injectors then look at something else.

I guess you could look at some sort of fuel mod like blue spring, RR kit, or Airdog but that isnt required yet.

Ok so to recap. My recommendation is the following:
Exhaust as you mentioned
EGR delete $200
New Oil Cooler $300
Head Studs One at a time $400
Edge CTS Insight $400
SCT SF3 Tuner w/tunes $450

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.