97 7.3 turns over but will not start. help please!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 AM
wjjb2010
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

97 7.3 turns over but will not start. help please!!

Hey, new to diesels here, im a great gasser mechanic but im having troubles with my diesel. Back in January i was hauling a repo on a trailer and i pulled over the get diesel and jumped back in and it would not turn over. i checked the starter but the problem was that the starter was hanging down by the main wires for it. I unhooked the stater and taped up the wires and got a pull start from a semi, i drove to the nearest Napa and bought a new starter...$250 later i was back on the road. i made it home from the 12 hour trip and the next day i went out there to start my truck and it didn't start as quick as usual. on my way to work it was cutting out and hesitating when i got on the pedal. on my way home it shut down and would not start back up till it got cold. The next day i changed the IPR o rings cause I was told to try that, it did not help. the hpop reservoir had oil in it, i changed the CPS, ICP, IDM, PCM. tested all the valve cover gasket and the tested good. got a snap on scanner from a friend and it had no codes and passed a buzz test. Then one day it finally decide to run again, it ran for about two weeks but it was running rough. Then the hpop bearings decided to explode and was shooting oil out the back of the pump. So I bought a new hpop for a superduty and a new IPR, new glow plugs, new stancor gpr, fuel pump and i also order new exhaust and down pipe and turbine housing since i got a bundle discount. i tried starting it and it would not even attempt to start. today i bought two new batteries and traded in my starter for a new one, when i tried starting it today it started to smoke out of the exhaust and is trying to start more and more. i am getting a fuel pressure reading of 50 to 60 while cranking it over, i am completely stumped and would like to have my truck running again. any help would be appreciated. thanks
1.00 turbine housing
Superchip programmer
Diamond eye turbo back dual 4" exhaust
Glow shift digital gauges
K&N intake
12,000lb Ramsey winch
Air lift air bags
4" lift kit
37x12.50x16 tsl swampers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Cratos
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: 97 7.3 turns over but will not start. help please!!

check your fuses on the fender well #22 may be out (fuel heater) thay are known to come a part and short out.
Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 15,000 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter kit, ccv mod, deleted :)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
toolmangary
Fixing Broken Stuff
Member's Gallery

^^^ Check that, then see what codes you have, clear the codes you have and then try to start it again and see what codes come back. Then we can go from there.
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100

$ 1 7 , 5 1 4 , 8 2 2 , 6 4 8 , 0 8 7 is our National Dept
The estimated population of the United States is 317,825,127
so each citizen's share of this debt is $55,108.36.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
JFURNER77
JFURNER77
Member's Gallery

Do you have WTS light? Check fuses & verify GP relay is working.
You may have to purge the air out of HPOP system. Loosen the line going into the head while turning over engine.
Verify the injector solenoids are firing.
17* HPOP
6637 AIR INTAKE/NO CAT
WARN MANUAL HUBS
4R100 STAGE 2 BUILD, RED ALTO'S, TRIPLE DISC BILLET TORQ, TRANSGO-SHIFT KIT
5" SUSPENSION LIFT, STAINLESS NERF-BARS
16X10 PRO COMP 35X12.50 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T II
Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
wjjb2010
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

well thanks for the replys but i think it was just air in the system, i kept cranking and cranking and it finally started.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 57
02-7.3, 1997F350CCLB, 389SixPack, 50cal, 6litrestroker, 89 Stroker, 94powerstroke, 97CCLB410LS, bigblue7.3l, blue99sd, bpb424, bracketracer, Bugman, ccf350stroker, chopper, CLASSICIDI, constF350, Coueshunter, court dukes, Cratos, Falk, farmin97psd, Hoss1997, JFURNER77, jmontes, JoJo, jtsparks2, Justincredible, killforfood, littlejoe, lovesdunes, madpogue, Mudbrother, My95stroker, newadvocate, Obspsd7.3, ODR, old Smokey, outlaw721, Patrick Feeley, Patrolman, pff250hd, PIR8 DIESEL, powersmoker73, powerstroke44241, powerstrokin7.3, PSDEng, rolsmojave3, rwhite1, shaynep, Shovel, splauchs, toolmangary, usramc, wishbone, wjjb2010, xbones