Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Injector Gurus Needed !!!!!!!!

4K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  imelmo 
#1 ·
Ok, i am trying to decide on what type and size of nozzles to put on my new 530 B codes. I have HeeHaws built motor with all the supporting mods known to man and will be running twin TN's, 62mm and a 78mm. I am not looking for the most HP i can squeeze out of it, just a respectable 650hp daily driver that tows good and gets the best fuel mileage. I am thinking .0085 EDM's whatcha guys think. :shrug:

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ever think the guy is just asking for opinions on what to run?

I dont recall him asking about turbo sizing? Or mentioning BB???
Read his sig.

anyway the problem that most people have on here is undermining what the vendor is trying to do for them.

If BB is doing his setup the customer should let BB decide what injectors or tips to go with.

How can anybody else make a recommendation when they don't know the rest of the combination or even how to make the power.

#4 ·
anyway the problem that most people have on here is undermining what the vendor is trying to do for them.

If BB is doing his setup the customer should let BB decide what injectors or tips to go with.

How can anybody else make a recommendation when they don't know the rest of the combination or even how to make the power.
I highly respect that comment...

#7 ·
Just so you know dave, i have bought a couple things from you and alot of other sponsors as well. I need a list of people i can and cannot talk to so i can be a part of the club.
I know the other guys are just having alil fun and busting your chops, but I'm being serious.
I honestly think that if BB is doing the twins and making it all work that he should be the one to suggest the tips.
He knows what will work and what will not.

I base everything in a combo according to what the customer wants in a power or a certain performance level.
and the only way to know for sure is to have already proven that combo.
looking at it that I way I could not in good faith recommend a tip size for you as I don't have any twined 7.3's out there that have been proven to work.

#8 ·
I have run both EH and EDM and I liked the EDM ALOT better than the EH. I had less smoke and better throttle resonse and lower EGT's w/ EDM nozzels. I ran EH .0085 then went to .012 EDM. I belive in your set up a .010-.012 EDM would be what I would go w/. Just from the reading of some tests done lately and even Charles has said once you get so big w/ the EH nozzels they get a loss of power compared to a EDM of comparable size.JMO

#11 ·
Good info...

Where would you get EDM's of that size? Are those the 100% over, ready built nozzles or something?

I think you are heading in the right direction w/ your nozzle sizing, especially since absolute highest hp is not of utmost importance to you; I'm certainly not an expert although I've tried a few sizes. I found what felt like the highest hp and the best drivability w/ small nozzles so far after going thru 4 different sets now w/ #5 going in soon. I found 5 holers to be the worst. The ten thousands EDM nozzles didn't really get a fair shake in my rig as there were too many other problems but I know that I don't want that much fuel anyways.

Also, Charlie did pretty good on some very small nozzles so the fuel is there w/ small holes.

A good tuner can easily work around big nozzles but I feel you lose drivability (smoke, lugging, response) w/ them. But a good tuner can only make so much power if you have small nozzles.

Good Luck!
Good info as well...

The shop that’s doing the work should know exactly what nozzles to use.
If they don’t, your truck is at the wrong shop.

If you’re double checking what they’ve recommended, this is the best answer.

If you’re just making conversation, anything from cleaned up stock to .012's.
Of course that’s just my BS WAG

But then back to this...

#9 ·
Where would you get EDM's of that size? Are those the 100% over, ready built nozzles or something?

I think you are heading in the right direction w/ your nozzle sizing, especially since absolute highest hp is not of utmost importance to you; I'm certainly not an expert although I've tried a few sizes. I found what felt like the highest hp and the best drivability w/ small nozzles so far after going thru 4 different sets now w/ #5 going in soon. I found 5 holers to be the worst. The ten thousands EDM nozzles didn't really get a fair shake in my rig as there were too many other problems but I know that I don't want that much fuel anyways.

Also, Charlie did pretty good on some very small nozzles so the fuel is there w/ small holes.

A good tuner can easily work around big nozzles but I feel you lose drivability (smoke, lugging, response) w/ them. But a good tuner can only make so much power if you have small nozzles.

Good Luck!

#10 ·
The shop that’s doing the work should know exactly what nozzles to use.
If they don’t, your truck is at the wrong shop.

If you’re double checking what they’ve recommended, this is the best answer.
the problem that most people have on here is undermining what the vendor is trying to do for them.
If you’re just making conversation, anything from cleaned up stock to .012's.
Of course that’s just my BS WAG

#12 ·
Ill agree on the big EH tips. Maybe there are some higher quality eh tips out there i havent seen but the ones weve tried seem to get drippy and not as tow/daily driven friendly once they go over 27 or 28 lph. Perhaps your twins will help the egt situation but if a nozzle is getting a little drippy with not so perfect atomization youll never get the correct power and it will smoke under low load and lugging situations.

What about some of these new edm tips that are supposedly being built from new nozzles..seems like something could be custom made for your situation and driving plans.

#13 ·
I have heard there are even some 8 hole nozzles in the works???

#15 ·
I know about 8-months ago Casserly was working on some "NEW" stuff maybe its done!!!!!!

#21 ·
Turbo setup can have an effect on nozzle sizes. I can build a twin kit that can make 30 pounds of boost on the truck with out it in gear, or I can build a twin kit that doesn't make any boost until 2500 rpms with a full load on the truck. Both kits could use the same inducers the OP mentioned. Both situations will give you a far different smoke level with any given injector tip.

#24 ·
Also keep in mind that a EH and a EDM "same size" will flow different the EH flows more fuel but less atomization, I think .0085 EDM will be rather small for your setup and will be shy of your 650 mark IMO. Unless you have some internal work done on the oil side such as SHO'ed.

#23 ·
I belive his statement of 650hp tells us that the truck is gonna not be making 30psi out of gear, I belive he is just looking for some opinions while his truck is there getting work done, I bet that BWD has a nozzel in mind but again the OP is just getting some info for his own.

#26 ·
Rather then read through all the pissing, I'll just give you my 2 cents: I have .0085 EH on my BDs and can clear them right up in the 120 setting(SuperT76 feeding a Garrett Ball Bearing~66mm). If I were to go with EDM nozzles, they would be .010 or .012.

Also, I would ask Brian for his input. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea what you will need.;)

#28 ·
Joey, do you know how many lpm those EH nozzles of yours flow?

.0085" is pretty fast isn't it?

I'm trying to decide what size to try for some new EH nozzles. I have some easily available 29 lpm which I suspect should work well. My .01" EDM nozzles when flowed for air do about 42 lpm but maybe they atomize better as people say?

I suspect that most of the people that have made more hp/ less smoke w/ EDM nozzles were comparing them to way to large EH nozzles.

Thanks.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
wow yall are a buncha of fawking babies.. david your the biggest one of them all.. if it doesnt have your parts plastered all over it all you do is stir the pot! and i know of one person that asked for tunes from you and you told him you couldnt tune for a bastard truck...because he didnt have any parts from you. your such a tool and it makes me wonder how you stay in business...
just so it cant be said that he is making up a story, I know the person as well....

to the OP, sorry for all the sh!t I said... :bowfast::D
You guys need to learn to read, I gave him sound advice, advice that he should heed.
and yes I have the option of not tuning nor selling anyone parts.
The way I stay in business is by selling parts that people need and guarantee the results.
I am perfect? No
do the majority of my customers stand up for me ? yes.
Do you read daily, monthly, or yearly bashing of DI? NO
Do you wonder why that is or how I can possibly stay in business?
I may not tell everyone what they want to hear but I do tell them the truth!!!

#35 ·
Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.